This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Frozen Hearth
Morgan from Epiphany  [developer] Sep 4, 2013 @ 1:29am
Steam Features!
Ok, so we have our Steam API SDK, we can do a Steam intergration. The most important features we will use will mostly be around network gaming. What other Steam Features do people like?
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Motoki Sep 4, 2013 @ 6:06am 
Obviously the networking part for a game like this is huge, but also I think achievements, cloud save, maybe even cards would be good.

I think I would prefer if the updating of the game were done through Steam and not the launcher. Actually I think it would just be better if the launcher were done away with entirely, though I don't know how doable that would be for you at this point.

Having it on top of Steam would just feel unnecessary and also if you keep the signing in to your servers and key registration and all that it's an extra layer of DRM on top of Steam which already acts as DRM itself and that puts put off. At very least please ditch the Gameshield DRM for the Steam version.
Morgan from Epiphany  [developer] Sep 4, 2013 @ 11:37am 
On the surface its possible to to not need the launcher, the login system and game sheild are intergrated and if we removed those there would be no way for steam players to play with non steam players. That said networking without steam is much more difficult. So we will take this on board.
-YDniw Sep 16, 2013 @ 10:52am 
wow
Motoki Oct 2, 2013 @ 7:20pm 
Originally posted by epiphanygames:
On the surface its possible to to not need the launcher, the login system and game sheild are intergrated and if we removed those there would be no way for steam players to play with non steam players. That said networking without steam is much more difficult. So we will take this on board.

Well as someone who did buy this game I would hope that existing owners would get Steam keys if the game gets in. It's my understanding that there is no cost incurred to a developer to do this and it should be doable since numerous other indie games have done so.

If that were the case then current owners could just migrate over to the Steam version. Of course there may always be some people that don't want to use Steam but I would think that would really be the minority and that most would want the extra benefits that come with a game on Steam.

Keeping the gameshield with the Steam version means giving customers a double whammy of DRM which doesn't always go over so well and then you'd have to put one of those fine print notices on the Steam store page about additional 3rd party DRM in the game.

It's not the end of the world but it will turn some people off and you might catch some flack for it.
Morgan from Epiphany  [developer] Oct 6, 2013 @ 2:14am 
Existing owners will get keys from Steam should we get onto Steam regardless.
+edu Oct 22, 2013 @ 3:45pm 
Wowww
Morgan from Epiphany  [developer] Nov 1, 2013 @ 5:33pm 
Yo, Ok so I'm posting again because I'm thinking of shipping the soundtrack with the Steam Release and some of our artwork. But what features do you guys and gals care about the most?
PKB Mac Nov 1, 2013 @ 9:49pm 
I'm with Motoki about ditching other DRM, if possible. I tend to think that existing users could migrate, but double-dipping on the DRM could potentially deter future buyers. Personally, I tend to steer clear of games with 3rd-party DRM.

The soundtrack and artwork would be awesome, but if it's a substantial amount of extra work for you, it's far from necessary.

Other than that, the Steam features I tend to get most excited about in games are Cloud saves, and achievements. Neither are necessary, but both are exciting to see added.

Whatever you decide to do, congratulations on the greenlight. I'm looking forward to the game.

EDIT: Just saw the post in the other thread about removing gameshield. Good call. For anyone just now joining the discussions, it looks like there WILL NOT be 3rd-party DRM on this game on Steam. Thanks for listening to the community, devs!
Last edited by PKB Mac; Nov 1, 2013 @ 9:53pm
Morgan from Epiphany  [developer] Nov 2, 2013 @ 2:07am 
No worries, well there is no need for Game Sheild with the Steam release. So you don't have to worry about double DRM
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50