Counter-Strike 2

Counter-Strike 2

Contribute to Counter-Strike!
Interested in making content for Counter-Strike? Show us what you can do. Explore our guides for creating weapons, stickers, maps and start submitting.
Learn More
Hammer doesn't work, every method fails to make work.
so I've tried every method I could find that is applicable to my problem of Hammer not working, which basically involves me editing gameconfig in the bin folder of CS:GO, however whenever I launch CS:GO or the SDK this file changes automatically to its default state and immediately goes back to giving me the problem.

Please help.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
CS_ 7 Jan 3, 2015 @ 8:24am 
Could you specify the problem? its all a bit vague at the moment.
Symphogi(DSM) 1 Jan 3, 2015 @ 8:28am 
Ah yes, it is the gameinfo.txt problem with hammer where it says gameinfo.txt doesnt exist and to check vconfig or something or other. The problem isn't that it isn't in the wrong directory either, so I kept looking for another fix, I found one but it doesnt work, the fix is to add the path for hammer.exe in the gameconfig.txt, however whenever I open CS:GO or try to open hammer, the gameconfig.txt gets reset to what it was before I fixed it.
CS_ 7 Jan 3, 2015 @ 8:37am 
how are you trying to launch hammer from the bin folder or through the steam lib csgo sdk entry?
Symphogi(DSM) 1 Jan 3, 2015 @ 9:05am 
The SDK
CS_ 7 Jan 3, 2015 @ 9:12am 
can you paste the contents of the original gameinfo.txt (the one it keeps reverting to) and the one with the changes you are trying to make? we will get there! maybe.. or add me if you want to try and work it out in real time.
Last edited by CS_; Jan 3, 2015 @ 9:15am
Symphogi(DSM) 1 Jan 3, 2015 @ 12:07pm 
no I'm not editing gameinfo.txt but I will give gameconfig.txt (the one I am editing)
"Configs"
{
"Games"
{
"Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"
{
"GameDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo"
"Hammer" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\hammer.exe"
{
"TextureFormat" "5"
"MapFormat" "4"
"DefaultTextureScale" "0.250000"
"DefaultLightmapScale" "16"
"DefaultSolidEntity" "func_detail"
"DefaultPointEntity" "info_player_terrorist"
"GameExeDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive"
"MapDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps"
"CordonTexture" "tools\toolsskybox"
"MaterialExcludeCount" "0"
"GameExe" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe"
"BSP" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vbsp.exe"
"Vis" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vvis.exe"
"Light" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vrad.exe"
"BSPDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps"
"GameData0" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\csgo.fgd"
}
}
}
"SDKVersion" "5"
}
that is what I change it to
"Configs"
{
"Games"
{
"Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"
{
"GameDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo"
"Hammer"
{
"TextureFormat" "5"
"MapFormat" "4"
"DefaultTextureScale" "0.250000"
"DefaultLightmapScale" "16"
"DefaultSolidEntity" "func_detail"
"DefaultPointEntity" "info_player_terrorist"
"GameExeDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive"
"MapDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps"
"CordonTexture" "tools\toolsskybox"
"MaterialExcludeCount" "0"
"GameExe" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe"
"BSP" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vbsp.exe"
"Vis" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vvis.exe"
"Light" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vrad.exe"
"BSPDir" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps"
"GameData0" "A:\[Video Games]\[Origin-Steam-Desura-Other digital platform install directory]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\csgo.fgd"
}
}
}
"SDKVersion" "5"
}
Symphogi(DSM) 1 Jan 3, 2015 @ 12:08pm 
this is what it is normally
CS_ 7 Jan 3, 2015 @ 1:08pm 
as far as I am aware you don't need to specify the hammer path in gameconfig.txt for example, mine:
"Configs" { "Games" { "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive" { "GameDir" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo" "Hammer" { "GameData0" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\csgo.fgd" "TextureFormat" "5" "MapFormat" "4" "DefaultTextureScale" "0.250000" "DefaultLightmapScale" "16" "GameExe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe" "DefaultSolidEntity" "func_detail" "DefaultPointEntity" "info_player_terrorist" "BSP" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vbsp.exe" "Vis" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vvis.exe" "Light" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\vrad.exe" "GameExeDir" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive" "MapDir" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps" "BSPDir" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps" "PrefabDir" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\Prefabs" "CordonTexture" "tools\toolsskybox" "MaterialExcludeCount" "0" } } } "SDKVersion" "5" }

As they are many many possible configuration issues with the sdk I am having a hard time isolating exactly what your specific issue and setup is to be honest. I know you are probably well versed in what your issue is but without a detailed description of the error messages,screencap and context, things you have tried, when did it start happening, did it used to work etc we may just end up going over old ground which will be time-consuming and frustrating for both you and me. Nothing is immediatley obvious as to why the file is overwriting, I ammsume there is something conflicting in another area of your configs/setup.

I am happy to keep trying to help but I would also point you towards reddit.com/r/csmapmakers or reddit.com/r/AskMappers as there are some very knowledgeable people there.

Symphogi(DSM) 1 Jan 3, 2015 @ 10:48pm 
http://puu.sh/e315H/74f2e47e93.png is the error. hammer is the only thing not opening. it has never opened. it has always had this error since I have downloaded it. it crashes after this error message. Setting the path for it in gameconfig.txt was the only fix that seemed applicable to it because the other solutions involved the gameinfo.txt's path referal being in the wrong place and then fixing the path, but that isnt my problem. I am going to take a guess that editing gameconfig.txt IS the solution, but it keeps reverting to default whenever it gets used by either hammer or CS:GO itself. so I may actually have two problems, except the second one prevents me from fixing the first. However I may just have a different problem altogether.
CS_ 7 Jan 6, 2015 @ 10:33am 
A couple of things I can think of, although you've probably tried some/all of these. Listed in their order on the pain in the ass scale.

- have you tried making the gameconfig.txt read only? I doubt this will work as I think steam overides the read only and writes to it anyway. worth a shot though.

- try moving your steam installation (or creating a 2nd steam lib folder through settings) to a simple file path. As your directory structure is long and complicted hammer might be throwing up a fuss. I would recommend something simple like C:\Program Files (x86) as steam is 32-bit, just to take that variable out of the equation.

- You may have a higher level OS variable that is overriding the txt, although this is only normally experienced if you are modding or have been heavily fiddling in the settings. Have a google for "VProject environment variable". I am not sure if it will be relevant to your issue.

- try using a batch or script file to delete the default gameconfig.txt, rename your edited .txt to gameconfig.txt and launch hammer. Here is a simple .bat i knocked up that does the above. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24673955/fixhammer.rar The .bat only launches SDKLauncher.exe because off hand I can't remember how to manual launch csgo's hammer as its different from say CS:S hammer. from my experience after the sdklauncher is launched, launching hammer from the GUI doesn't effect gameconfig.txt. though your experience may differ. With a bit of tweaking I am sure you can find out how to to batch launch hammer.exe instead. As always check the .bat before you run it etc. It goes in your /bin folder where hammer.exe and sdklauncher.exe resides. if you leave the default gameconfig.txt as it is and name your edited version as GameConfig1.txt the .bat should work without issue.

Can't think of any other possibilties atm.
SwnzL2000 1 May 28, 2017 @ 4:07pm 
Same problem!!!!
is it fixed now? can you open hammer ?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 3, 2015 @ 4:30am