Portal 2

Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Learn More
Restore Expert Compiler Settings After Windows 10 BSoD
BSoD = Blue Screen of Death

After Windows 10 BSoD'd in me while compiling my simple map, only the default is shown in expert compile dialog box and nothing shows the list to compile. No configuration other than "Default" and the default configuration is blank with no list. Deleting the Hammer folder in the registry editor does nothing and I Googled to no avail on how to restore the compiler settings.

Oh... A nasty BSoD... :(

Anyway, despite the file size (~350KB) telling me otherwise that's it's not empty for the .vmf file, I've lost my entire map, rending everything empty, so I decompiled from a DSP file (thank goodness) and I'm in business, just in normal dialog only for compiling my map as I am unable to compile in expert mode. I thought I've saved my map, that post-BSoD, that lead me to saving a copy of the VMF file as restoring from a VMX file did not help me as that got borked as well.
Last edited by Grayson Peddie; Jul 19, 2017 @ 11:22pm
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
SIGHT/31 Jul 20, 2017 @ 11:21am 
YES YOUR FRIEND:D
Grayson Peddie 3 Jul 20, 2017 @ 2:16pm 
Is there any way I can get the list of compiler configurations restored in the expert dialog box? If so, please let me know.

Thanks.
TeamSpen210 18 Jul 21, 2017 @ 4:02pm 
You need to delete 'CmdSeq.wc' and get the original back.
Grayson Peddie 3 Jul 21, 2017 @ 7:13pm 
Thanks. I won't have access to my computer for about 6 months to a year as I'll be going to World Services for the Blind to take my Desktop Support Technician (DST) course and get A+ certified as an IT technician, so I will be busy during the week.

The same thing might happen to my laptop, which in this case I will report back if BSoD happens again while I'm in the DST program.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 19, 2017 @ 11:02pm