Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Cpt. John Soap MacTavish Nov 18, 2012 @ 6:47pm
Metaltech/Earthsiege/Starsiege/Cyberstorm/Tribes series
Remember those old Mech similator games (or Tribes, the fps with a extremely high skill ceiling)?

The games have such a well written story/lore, a expansive universe and great gameplay that has been lost through time due to the fall of Dynamix.

Probally the only people who remember these games are those who played them back in the day, or people who traced the roots of the now popular Tribes: Ascend

Emulators are required to play the old Earthsiege/Starsiege games (the same could be said for the tribes games), and not much are provided on the internet

With greenlight, we can help reintroduce the golden classics that is Metaltech: Earthsiege, Earthsiege 2, Starsiege, Starsiege: Tribes to the gaming world

a steam release of these games can do better justice for the Earthsiege/Starsiege/Tribes series as a whole (no wikis exist that showcase the series' deep lore)

Heres a retrospective that further elaborates on the awsomness of the series (for those who havent played them on dos')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FPYa1MnfPg
Last edited by Cpt. John Soap MacTavish; Nov 22, 2012 @ 1:26am
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:53am 
It seems that what you are asking for is not to get these games on steam, but a re-working of them for modern systems. That is probably too much work for the current holders to invest in.
Cpt. John Soap MacTavish Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:49pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
It seems that what you are asking for is not to get these games on steam, but a re-working of them for modern systems. That is probably too much work for the current holders to invest in.
I am not really asking for newer source ports, just that these games can make it to steam.

These games are criminally underrated, but seeing the wake of Tribes: Ascend (which practically brought this long-dead series back to life), i think its nessessary for the "return" of the preceeding games.

What i want is to see the whole Earthsiege/Starsiege/Tribes series right here on steam
(besides valve has good connections with sierra entertainment)
C0untzer0 Nov 19, 2012 @ 3:37pm 
which would be pointless if they can't run on a modern system, don't you think?
Cpt. John Soap MacTavish Nov 20, 2012 @ 6:44pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
which would be pointless if they can't run on a modern system, don't you think?

doom 1 and doom 2 couldnt run on windows xp and up, yet it was still released on steam
deus ex cant run on windows 7 without a artificial launcher, yet it was still released on steam

so what are you implying?

if people love the game enough, they will go through lenths to fix the game up
(isnt greenlight all about people wanting games to get on steam?)
C0untzer0 Nov 21, 2012 @ 1:37am 
It's also about games being ready to run on steam.
Doom 1 + 2 were given updated launchers for the anniversary, Deus Ex was packaged by the publishers with a launcher. Until these versions exist they can't be on steam. Therefore, the first step is getting the publisher to wrap the game for modern times.
MisterFour Nov 21, 2012 @ 7:21am 
Not always true.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530
X-Com UFO Defense had some trouble with some newer computers so there was a fix created by somebody, I think, not a part of the original devs. I had some real trouble running XCOM on my laptop without the fix. So yeah, there was a community that did want to fix one game up.

Don't quote me wrong, XCOM does run OK on some computers without the fix. The thing is that not all older games will go the extra mile to optimize their game on current systems.

The updated launchers on Ultimate Doom & 2 & Final on steam, I am pretty sure, was a part or borrowed from the Doom Collection which had Doom95 pre-packaged on the system.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Collector%27s_Edition
It is probably not the same thing, as that is owned by Activision, but the idea is the same. If the collector's edition wasn't made, who knows.

It is pretty likely that id would want to update their game, but maybe there are a couple of fans that made a real stink about the game not having the original DOS excutables. It is possible, but really improbable, that a publisher would favor a game not to be updated for various reasons. I bet that there is or was a college out there that had the option for students to make a Doom WAD file for some sort of credit. I don't know, I am kind of just spitballing here.

All this aside, it is more likely that a publisher would want to at least fix up the game so that it has the potiental to reach more people. Love of the game helps, but making a profit helps too. I honestly would anticipate Dynamix games to be sold on GOG first before Steam.
Cpt. John Soap MacTavish Nov 21, 2012 @ 10:49am 
Originally posted by MisterFour:
All this aside, it is more likely that a publisher would want to at least fix up the game so that it has the potiental to reach more people. Love of the game helps, but making a profit helps too. I honestly would anticipate Dynamix games to be sold on GOG first before Steam.

GOG were the ones who made the artificial launchers for deus ex and a couple of other fixes for the GOTY/Steam version.

The real question is to wheather sierra (who whoever they are today) or hirez will be put up to the task at hand

Tribes 2 lost its support in 2004, but the community made artificial patches to fix the game; Tribes 2 continued to live on to this day because of the community

i think the same can be done to the Metaltech: Earthsiege/Starsiege/Cyberstorm games

besides, we all see a future where steam will one day have ALL pc games up for sale (so then the modern gamers can stay in touch with the ancient classics)
MisterFour Nov 21, 2012 @ 11:46am 
I am actually looking more forward to games being generally available, rather than simply steam cornering the entire market. While Steam has a big share of the market, I do like the various styles and interpetations of digital distribution. I am not going to be aggressive and say something like "Why don't you look at other places for your old games?" but I am going to say that Steam has a different community with different tastes. I think we should celebrate that games are becoming more available, and that different groups of people are being exposed to them.

I did not know that Steam's Deus Ex used the GOG fixes, but it does not surprise me. Sometimes all it takes is a sizable population(GOG) to convince another sizeable population(Steam) that the game still has marketable merit. May be GOG is the better front to argue for these games to come out so that Steam might consider Metaltech and yatta yatta.

And come on.... games that were published in the 90s are not ancient...20 years ago isn't that bad... Get back to me in another 20, then we will talk about ancient
Cpt. John Soap MacTavish Nov 21, 2012 @ 4:37pm 
GOG does seem to specilize in fixing up old games for newer OS'

Just another reason a steam release of the Earthsiege series can be done

maybe as a promotion, they could package these games in some kind of Tribes Ascend DLC or sorts (like the starter packs etc.)
Cpt. John Soap MacTavish Nov 23, 2012 @ 10:58am 
updated the OP with a little video
knb756 Apr 3 @ 6:56pm 
You can send an email to activision.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 3 @ 9:59pm 
knb756 why are you necroing threads from 2012?
Sera Apr 3 @ 10:14pm 
How bored must he be to go lot of pages of threads back and choose one at random to post something random in it...?
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 3 @ 11:50pm 
He might have done a search for activision games or something.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50