Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
festiven00b Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:53pm
Gamification software?
Let's face it. Everyday life can get dull, and we need the extra motification to put more effort into work. One concept of adding such motivations involve the usage of video game elements as an incentive to work harder to rack up more points.

I honestly dunno why we only have this sort of software for smartphones, and yet we don't have such tools for the Desktop.
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:08am 
What you need is a better life.
Skoardy Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:45am 
Originally posted by flashn00b:
I honestly dunno why we only have this sort of software for smartphones, and yet we don't have such tools for the Desktop.
Maybe because it makes sense to have access to such things while you're on the move, 'mid-flow' as it were and tying you down to returning to a PC all the time would kind of defeat the point?
festiven00b Mar 31, 2013 @ 7:06pm 
The reason why i think PCs need gamification software is because it's likely faster to alt-tab between your office software and your gamifier than it is to switch between two screens.
Mister Four Apr 1, 2013 @ 4:17pm 
Ugh... "Gameification" is just another term for a much MUCH longer debate on how to re-frame the element of work into play. Then again, I'm pretty sure marketing team came up with Gameification rather than an actual scientist. If you are really interested in gameification, get either an education of IO psychology, sociology and work/dramatrugy in role play, or marketing as well as an understanding in game design. Trust me, Gameification is just an new spin on 1920s motivational tactics.

While I do agree that some organizations do very well at adapting play into work(Google is frequently used in this debate), there is concern for when play is used in inappropriate workplaces(such as various manual labor jobs.) The other big criticism for gameification is that play sometimes create unintentional consequences. Case in point, creativity might be reduced because the task is more focused completing the game over creating original ideas.

I am not saying that gameplay work styles are inappropriate for certain tasks. I just believe that serious thought and experimentation should be done before integrating gameification to the average PC user.
Last edited by Mister Four; Apr 1, 2013 @ 4:23pm
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:53pm