Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Jul 27, 2012 @ 9:27am
STOP! Before you post...
Are you about to suggest stats?
Are you about to suggest a strange part?
Are you about to say an idea that isn't workshop-related? ("Hey, how about a 3rd misc. slot??" "We should be able to craft crates!!" "The Candy Cane should be paintable!!")
Are you about to make a thread about whether or not the pyro is a girl?
Are you about to make a thread about how something in the game doesn't work?
Are you about to complain that an item sucks or should be nerfed?
Are you about to ask about prices for items?
Are you about to promote your Garry's Mod/Source Filmmaker parody video?
Are you about to ask how to do something in-game (use the decal tool, upload sprays, rocket juggle, etc.) that isn't workshop-related?
Are you about to say "HI I JUST GOT TF2!"?
Are you about to complain about being premium to trade?

...then you have mistakenly wandered into the Discussion Section of the Workshop, which is about making and submitting models to the workshop. For any of the above (or similar) what you're wanting is the Team Fortress 2 Forums.

- Main Forum
- Discuss Meet The Team Videos
- Post Art, Videos, Maps, Ideas
- Post Suggestions About Existing Items
- Questions About Gameplay
- Trading

I hope you find this helpful!

"Hey, isn't suggesting an item a workshop-related suggestion?"
Yes, if you're suggesting what the MODEL should be, not what the item would DO.

Here's several things to consider before you do this:
1. Have you searched to see if someone has already made one? (Usually when someone suggests something it's like "a boomerang for the sniper" or "a molotov cocktail for the pyro", i.e. something that has been done a lot)
2. What about it are you suggesting? "Can someone make a sword for heavy" is not a good suggestion, it says nothing about the design of the item itself. And again, do not bother suggesting stats or functions! Even the person who creates the weapon doesn't typically get much if any input on that, let alone some random weenie like you. If you want to influence stats, become a beta tester.
3. Are you sure you have the right game? No, seriously. Half the suggestions I see folks make do not have any relevance to Team Fortress 2. They are by people who don't get that TF2 has a theme, an art style, a setting, and that it's laden with homage and parody. Ask yourself if what you're suggesting has anything to do with your character, with the game, or with the style. And stop suggesting copyrighted stuff from other games. It doesn't get in.

"Hey I agree with you and get this, I'm going to go yell at those people who made these threads by posting in their threads"

Posting in these threads bumps them to the top. Don't do that. Just report bad threads. If a thread is already at the top and the person seems to genuinely not know it might be okay, but don't bump stuff up just to tell them their thread is bad.
Last edited by KarkasMolenKlok ( <); Sep 9, 2012 @ 1:44pm
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
< >
Big Shep Jul 27, 2012 @ 2:34pm 
I hope people find this helpful. I've made a post myself similar to this. I hope if these type of posts can get bumped up so people can see them. This way the discussion can just be about the workshop iteself.
Last edited by Big Shep; Jul 27, 2012 @ 3:17pm
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Jul 31, 2012 @ 9:45am 
Another good thing to remember is what does constitute a question about the workshop.

It's a pity folks aren't using the workshop discussion section the way they used threads on polycount to get critique, develop items, and ask technical questions as opposed to using it to ask about stuff like the above.
PAS | Litagano M. & Knuckles Jul 31, 2012 @ 7:52pm 
I like this. It gets the point across without being a complete ♥♥♥♥.
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Aug 1, 2012 @ 8:37am 
Maybe I should try "complete ♥♥♥♥" because my current approach doesn't seem to be stoppin' anyone
Jetty Aug 1, 2012 @ 8:40am 
Indeed.
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Aug 2, 2012 @ 9:37am 
Is it arrogant of me to want this to be stickied?
(Even if it is, I still do.)
Jetty Aug 2, 2012 @ 10:53am 
I don't know why this is not considered as important thread.
Keep doing anyway, maybe only lazy people who doesn't want to sign up goes here and open unrelated thread.
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Aug 2, 2012 @ 11:20am 
Also feel free to suggest things to be added to this list (I just added strange parts suggestions)
PAS | Litagano M. & Knuckles Aug 2, 2012 @ 5:40pm 
Nah, being a ♥♥♥♥ won't help anyone.

If they don't listen, then you've done what you can, the best thing to do would be to let Valve handle it.
Nyan Bonk Aug 2, 2012 @ 6:18pm 
Finally! THIS IS THE STEAM WORKSHOP! POST THINGS WORKSHOP-RELATED!
Professional Spycrab Hunter 7 Aug 3, 2012 @ 4:27pm 
Don't even bother... There are always the people that don't read.
Jetty Aug 4, 2012 @ 7:25am 
Well it was worth a try.
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Aug 6, 2012 @ 9:08pm 
More than whether or not people actually listen...I don't want them to have an excuse.
SteventheSlayer Aug 7, 2012 @ 12:35pm 
If you don't mind, I was thinking of makeing a similar discussion for Portal 2 (I'd give you credit for the idea of course.) One thing TF2 doesn't get as much of is an entire discussion to advertise ONE MAP! :P :P

Oh and since this is kinda off topic, I can delete this after you answer, if you'd like...
Last edited by SteventheSlayer; Aug 7, 2012 @ 12:37pm
KarkasMolenKlok ( <) Aug 7, 2012 @ 2:09pm 
don't bother crediting, just do what you gotta do
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 27, 2012 @ 9:27am