View the 2012 entries
You can watch the submissions below. Voting ended on Nov. 27 at 12:00am GMT and the winners were revealed on Nov. 30th on www.teamfortress.com.
For complete contest details click here.
Cranky Kong Nov 18, 2012 @ 3:25am
Copyrights violations : Music vs Parody vs Dubbing vs Models.
I have some questions about the copyrights violations,since we have good entries breaking the laws:
1-If we use the music (even with permission) make us instantly disqualified?
2-And if we make a parody of a certain song?(Make a RED outta of you,example)
3-If we use certain dialogues of a certain movie/series/talk show ,we break the laws?
4-And models from a Non-Valve IP ,make us disqualified ,too?

I wait good answers outta of you mates!

Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
morky Nov 18, 2012 @ 5:06am 
Silliy.
Scunosi Nov 18, 2012 @ 11:34pm 
It seems fairly simple/obvious to me. Anything non-Valve and not made by yourself, you need explicit permission (which I'm assuming Valve is going to go around asking for) to use it. This would include music, models, and voice clips from movies. The Queen and Fight Club videos, while well-made use the original audio, and I highly doubt either creator could even try to get permission for those files, so they're highly likely to be disqualified.
Parody should fall under fair-use as it's parody; assuming you actually made something new, like in the Make a RED Outta You video. That creator did all the voice work himself (or maybe it was multiple people). I could see if someone got nitpicky on the melody being copyright, but again, parody.
Non-Valve models should be fine as long as they follow the same rules as above; you made them yourself, or have explicit permission to use them. I would assume all original models are acceptable, but as for specifically non-Valve IPs (like the MLP models) I'm gonna say those aren't allowed, but I don't really have any thought-out reasoning for it.
Cranky Kong Nov 19, 2012 @ 3:40am 
Originally posted by Scunosi:
Thanks for the info ,mate,sometimes is good to open this discussions to clarify something!
The Maid Nov 20, 2012 @ 7:10pm 
Fair use is pretty cut and dry with the Saxxies. As it is "for profit" even if the profit is just a statue in game, and it's not for educational purposes, it only counts if it is transformative. One of the most common ways is parody, such as what "Make a RED Outta You" does.

Not that parody is protected speech, so no one else could use the "Make a RED Outta You" can use it as music without the parody's owner's permission
RoxyPox Nov 22, 2012 @ 10:00pm 
You have to think about the scenario if the video was put up on live TV on the VGA Pre-show. I'm no lawyer, but for example I think Disney could technically sue the creators of "Make a RED Outta You" along with Valve if the video were to win Best Overall and be put up on live TV. Despite it being a parody, it's the same melody as the original, and that could be a problem.
Thing is, when it's on live TV, I think the parody law is different because the video is meant to promote Valve's Source Filmmaker Software. So Disney could get upset if their song was used for another company's advertising without permission. Big problem for Valve. 8(
Let's just say I am a little worried for the enties that did parodies. Some of them were awesome, and it'd be a shame if they weren't considered.
Cranky Kong Nov 23, 2012 @ 3:57am 
Originally posted by RoxyPox:
You have to think about the scenario if the video was put up on live TV on the VGA Pre-show. I'm no lawyer, but for example I think Disney could technically sue the creators of "Make a RED Outta You" along with Valve if the video were to win Best Overall and be put up on live TV. Despite it being a parody, it's the same melody as the original, and that could be a problem.
Thing is, when it's on live TV, I think the parody law is different because the video is meant to promote Valve's Source Filmmaker Software. So Disney could get upset if their song was used for another company's advertising without permission. Big problem for Valve. 8(
Let's just say I am a little worried for the enties that did parodies. Some of them were awesome, and it'd be a shame if they weren't considered.
That would be a problem for everyone,but I think Disney or other Music owners,dont gonna be a jerk to BAN the video...maybe...sniff...maybe
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50