Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Meltdown Interactive Media Sep 27, 2012 @ 3:09am
Does Greenlight favour the more popular game genres?
The masses today prefer FPS, RPG's and Platformers.
This means lesser popular genres such as racing, music games, simulations, and many sports games will probably never see the Greenlight as they won't be as popular to the masses.

Does Valve take this into account?
Or will Greenlight always be about the more popular genres?
So all we'll be seeing Greenlit are these genres?

Last edited by Meltdown Interactive Media; Sep 27, 2012 @ 3:12am
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Ahhhh Wards. Sep 27, 2012 @ 4:45am 
The problem of racing games are that there are a lot good games like Dirt,Grid,Blur,NFS,Forza and many more.So you don´t need more racing games.Tuning,Rally,Motorsport can be found in all of them with licensed cars.It is harder to find a good idea for them in this genre.
The same thing can be said to sports games.Fifa,PES and whatever have real players and are receiving good critics so nobody wants a sports game on Greenlight.
By seeing the first mentioned genres like FPS or RPG`s i am realizing that those games have often a good multiplayer part that can be played with a lot of more players and that those games are usually more friendly towards casualplayers.
For example COD is very casualplayer friendly.Combined with things like teamspeak you can interact with more people which can lead to more positive actions.
Beginners won´t get blown up easiliy in games which can been as friendly towards the casualplayer,whereas certain games are much harder to master and harder to unterstand like simulations.
I should have written a bit less i fear.
Meltdown Interactive Media Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:28am 
Your first point doesn't make much sense...

There are a lot of good AAA FPS and RPG games out there (a heck of a lot more than racing games), so does that mean now we don't need more FPS/RPG games on Greenlight? Yet many of the first games Greenlit were FPSs and RPG's.

Regarding sports games, there are ample opportunities for indies to shine with unique sports game concepts or sports that haven't really gone into the gaming mainstream market.

Greenlight should be about giving all genres a chance. Not a select few because that's what the masses want. I know Greenlight is about giving the community what they want to play, but if 5% of the community wants a certain sports title released on Greenlight, they will never get it, as the masses over rule.

It's almost like this is a gaming democracy.
Perhaps a better way for Valve to look at ratings is to look at ratings within each genre.
Otherwise all Steam is going to be about in the future is RPG's and FPS's.. which is not good for originality and not good for indies.
Last edited by Meltdown Interactive Media; Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:31am
Ahhhh Wards. Sep 27, 2012 @ 6:34am 
1.The majority of the Greenlight games aren´t even that good i must say.But this is my opinion.
There are good racing games like SBK or that WRC game,but the problem of them is that they are not the most popular motorsport series in the world(F1 or NASCAR are more famous).It is always about the personal point of view and i feel that RPG or FPS games are more appealing than racing or sport games.Easy to play,great multiplayer part,beginnerfriendly,great STORY, it is like watching movies.
2.By the way the majority of the games here are action games and genres like strategy games or RPGs.Racing games and sport games are not so many here.So dont expect a lot racing or sport games here.
3.If people want FPS or RPG it is their decision.No need to blame them.
4.What kind of sports or racing games should be on Greenlight?I would like to see fighting games for example,but which one?
Ahhhh Wards. Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:01am 
1.To be honest there are a lot of problems with Greenlight.For example games created only by one person have to compete with games made by companies.
2.I am not disliking a certain genre, i like fighting games the most.So therefore i would like to play the majority of fighting games like Street Fighter or Tekken.However there are casualgamers.Compared to the genrefans, they would buy games with a high rate(COD) or are receiving a lot of hype(Minecraft).Consequently if there is a good racing or sports game on Greenlight,in other words a game of a not so favored genre,then it will get upvotes.
3.Variety would be really good.I don´t want DayZ or Slenderman(dumb games i think),there is a handball that looks great.Problem:Handball doesn´t have the popularity like football so maybe some folks won´t like it.
I can understand your positions,although you have to convince other people first at all.
A game can be truely good,still it can be a flop sellingnumbers.
Last edited by Ahhhh Wards.; Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:05am
eddieray7 Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:48am 
Compared to other genres, the Steam catalog of racing games is slim - shop by genre and look at the number of games in the box on the right and you can see Racing shows 79 compared to 100's in the other genres. A good number of Steam's racing game releases in the past couple years are really just re-releases of older games, like GTR FIA GT, the Flatout games, or the "collection" packs. If you search the store for "racing" and sort by release date, many of the games don't have a Metascore, and those that do aren't exactly "shining". Suffice it to say, Steam could use more quality racing games in the catalog, but is it worth it to pursue finding and publishing new racing games if the genre just doesn't have enough popularity to sell "reasonably"?

Personally, I think so. Especially since we're talking about downloadable games, not box copies, with a low cost to distribute, on a well established storefront.

It's a bit of a catch-22 - get more racing games published to maybe increase popularity, but more games that maybe won't sell (if racing games just aren't very popular) doesn't generate increase profit. Maybe this lack of popularity is due to the "same ole stuff" being released... maybe people are tired of it? I know I've kinda lost interest in the NFS games... their focus has been wandering around and they can't decide what kind of game they want then to be any more it would seem.

Regardless, the question is, whether Valve wants to help devs get their game published on their trusted and popular Steam platform, or if they just want the community to provide them with a Top 10 contest each month. Certainly no racing games will be in the Top 10 without devs somehow getting people to vote who don't really like or intend to buy the game (because you have to beat out all the popular genres that get more votes), or without devs already having a large established customer base of people who use Steam, or without getting incredibly lucky and having a huge racing game HIT. Sounds pretty unlikely to me. Heck, even the Steam users are throwing up their hands in fultility at sifting through hundreds of games and trying to vote... with only a promise that they're making Steam "better".
Ahhhh Wards. Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:58am 
There are more FPS or RPGs which can be considered as milestones than racing games or sport games.Story is important,too.
Last edited by Ahhhh Wards.; Sep 27, 2012 @ 10:00am
Satoru Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:58am 
If you want any particular game on Steam contact the publisher/developer to put it up.

Also note that racing as a genre has mostly stagnated on the PC side. Generally it seems to be broken up into Gran Turismo on the PS3, and Forza on the Xbox360 as your sort of 'market leaders'. The ubiquity of analog controllers on the console side meant that you had the right 'steup' out of the gate. While on the PC side unless you were hard core and had a steering wheel, you' were kind of SOL.
Gnumbskull Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:47pm 
Steam must know, but the main reason they greenlight games or even have greenlight at all is to make money. I am not sure if votes are the only factor in a game getting greenlit or if having variety can impact their decision. If its only votes.......It doesnt look good for racing game fans like me and I will have to go elsewhere for my racing fix, like desura!
Mobyduck Sep 27, 2012 @ 3:15pm 
Rock, Paper, Shotgun just posted an article piece about this issue: "Valve On Steam Greenlight’s Failings, Fixing Them". Valve's aim is to give the least amount of bias toward any genre, game, company etc. Valve wants the developers to bring in the upvotes, by being more communicative with gamers, trying to convincing them to vote for the dev's games.

More on topic, I don't think Valve can do much about "different genres" problem. If they created different categories, where people could go jsut to vote for, for example, music games, or racing games, it would take segregated casual voters (those that arrive on Greenlight to vote for no particular game). Doing this segregation would actually be worse for less popular genres, as people would just go to the "platform section" and stay there voting, never taking a look on any racing game.

Alas, if a genre is, like you say, more popular, then it will, obviously, atract more voters, as well as more potential buyers. The real solution is to make a game that is good on its own, not just a "good racing game", but a "good game". When I think of Torchligh II, I don't think "what a great ARPG!" I think "What a great game!"
Meltdown Interactive Media Sep 28, 2012 @ 5:27am 
It will be interesting to see what genres the next 10 Greenlit games will be under.
Mobyduck Sep 28, 2012 @ 7:03am 
Frankly, a platformer can be the most golden of the golden and it still wouldn't interest me.

And a racing game could be the most golden of golden and would not interest me. Like you said, some game genres just have a bigger share of the market because more people are attracted by that kind of game. Greenlight just serves to showcase that.
Sir Eyeball Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:47am 
Steam is a buisness first and just the fact that they do host games from genres that are less popular the need for games that sell will allways be nr 1 therefore Greenlight.
Last edited by Sir Eyeball; Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:47am
TeraBit Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:49am 
Games need to be ranked against others in the same genre (each primary genre with their oen greenlight queue) for the overall system to be fair.

Otherwise you get the Puzzle game 'Cogs' competing against the FPS 'Hard Reset' and even though both may be a good example of their game genre, they have different numbers of potential users on Steam. (Both these games have proved profitable for Steam.)

All this 'Valve is only interested in profit' is all very well, but to keep people interested in any store you need to offer variety. Online digital sales is the same.

Also if Valve were only interested in maximising their profit, they wouldn't allow 'free to play' games on Steam Greenlight. Yes a business, but need to look at the big picture.
Last edited by TeraBit; Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:51am
Sir Eyeball Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:52am 
Most of the "free to play" games are mmos with not so hidden costs in the game. I am sure Valve gets a piece of that pie as well. It as admirable that they do host several indie and other not so mainstream games but they also need to host the box hits otherwise they will go belly up as well.
RPGCreations Sep 28, 2012 @ 9:03am 
i agree to an extent. of the first 10 games greenlit, here are some interesting stats:

- number which use 3D first person perspective: 6 out of 10
- number which are about zombies: 5 out of 10 (!)

i think it's clear what steam users like/want. there are some niche games in the top 10 too, but a *lot* of them are horror/fps zombie games. i'm actually glad mcpixel was the first one out. it wasn't the best choice, but i'd rather have it be the first than some horror fps zombie game.

however, although you say people like RPGs and platformers, *not one* of the first 10 greenlit games was a platformer or a RPG. not one. so i think you may be wrong in what genres people like the most.
Last edited by RPGCreations; Sep 28, 2012 @ 9:10am
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 27, 2012 @ 3:09am