Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
BenVlodgi Aug 12, 2012 @ 6:01pm
BEE MOD & BEE2 Released! Adds new elements to your puzzle editor
I released the BEE MOD just the other day almost a year ago now and it is almost bug free :D
download it now
http://portal2backstock.com/bee

I also just released the BEE2 (alpha) with Carl Kenner, which provides all the awesome features of the BEEMOD with the added ability to change your palette and add other people's custom items to your palette.
download that now @
http://portal2backstock.com/bee2
The website is migrating right now, so actually grab the BEE2 here
http://forums.thinkingwithportals.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2781

To see some of the chambers people have already made using this mod click HERE!

=========EDIT 9/28/2012=========
The BEEMOD 1.05 automatic installer has been downloaded over 1000 times!

=========EDIT 11/5/2012=========
I highly recomend also checking out these other PTI mods:
  • Carl Kenner's Style Mod - Integrates with your Puzzlemaker to allow you to build puzzles in other styles other than Clean. Get it HERE

• HWM's PTI Extension - Adds new items to your PTI Palette, including visual gates, portal magnets, and more!.... Get HERE... http://forums.thinkingwithportals.com/post77612.html#p77612

• FGEMOD (Felix Griffin's Editor Mod) - allows your to change the layout and add new items to the PTI all by yourself... get it HERE[forums.thinkingwithportals.com]

=========EDIT 2/6/2013=========
Over 5 months ago I stopped working on the BEE2 interface, because I had buggy code and I wanted to start over, but I never found the motivation, so I had been working on Back-Stock.
I actually was starting to think that I should just scrap the whole BEE2, there really isn't a need for it.

I'm a huge supporter of Hammer, and I think everyone should learn it, but I understand some aren't tech savvy, and some people don't have time (those are lame excuses that you guys give me when I ask why you don't use hammer).

The PTI is a great tool for quickly prototyping puzzle ideas, and really should never be used to build the base of maps to be edited in Hammer.

For a while I also planned on using the BEE2 to decrease block size, so that you could create 1/2, and 1/4th walls. I've decided against this, because there isn't much gained from this feature, and anyone who really wants those type of walls, might as-well just use hammer :D

Many of you know Carl Kenner, the creator of the PTI StyleMod. Carl did a fantastic job incorporating BEEMOD items into his mod, so if you haven't yet, go check that out.
Well Carl and myself are teaming up to deliver a new PTI mod.
This mod will be basically what I planned for the BEE2, I just felt like letting you guys know its actually happening.

I've picked up on my old interface editor, and have already worked out many of the bugs that plagued me when I put it on the shelf. It is still a ways away from release (quite a ways).

I'll give you some information on what Carl and myself plan for this new mod.
  • Palette editing! You can now choose from a bucket of items what you want on your palette!
  • Choose your style! Change the VBSP style, and hand pick the style of each item you are using.
  • New Items! We'll be delivering some new items to aid your design of brain twisting puzzles, and adding aesthetic value.
  • Dynamic Bucket! Now anyone skilled in hammer can create new PTI items, and import them into the interface editor's bucket to be added to your palette.

=========EDIT 3/14/2013=========
The BEE2 interface is nearly done, now I'm going to be focusing on creating new items.
Here is a list of planned Items:
  • New Dropper containing
    • Catapult Cube
    • BumbleBall
    • Working Turret
    • Broken Turret
    • Boxed Turret
  • Bomb Dispenser
  • Upgrade Portal gun item
  • Sendificator
  • Laser Fizzler
  • Vactubes for transportation of Gels, Cubes, and Player
  • Wheatley Monitor
  • Security Cameras
  • Wide Catapult
  • Portalable Piston
  • Coop Checkpoints
  • Spinny Blade Hazard
  • Voxel Sized Crushers

=========EDIT 4/11/2013=========
The website is temporarily down during a web host transfer, it should be back up by April 14th 2013
in the meantime, I've copied this from the website, so you can still download the BEE
Originally posted by BEE Website:
Here is the automatic installer http://www.gamefront.com/files/22140997/BEE+1.05+Installer.rar
Here is the manual installation files http://www.gamefront.com/files/22141010/BEE+1.05.rar
For the manual installation, merge the enclosed portal 2 directory, with your existing “portal 2″ directory and overwrite all changes. you will find the portal 2 directory here \Steam\steamapps\common\

If it is impossible to download from gamefront, download @Dropbox. Raw Files[dl.dropbox.com]Automatic Installer[dl.dropbox.com]. Please only do this if necessary, it throws off the download count.

=========EDIT 7/17/2013=========
Its been a long time coming, and now its here, the BEE2 Alpha .2!
bugs are to be expected, this version is for people who don't mind getting their hands dirty for the sake of science!
http://portal2backstock.com/bee2
Last edited by BenVlodgi; Feb 1 @ 1:46pm
Showing 1-15 of 2,916 comments
< >
Cadeη Aug 12, 2012 @ 6:54pm 
Hold on a minute, why is this not just an update? Why can't you send this to VALVe and have them make it and update!?
BenVlodgi Aug 12, 2012 @ 7:23pm 
It wasn't developed by them, there is probably a reason they didn't include these items. I just made them so you guys could use them if you want to. Who knows perhaps some of these may one day be included in the game. I am in contact with people who work on Portal 2, and this puzzlemaker, and right now they are working on some nice additions
BenVlodgi Aug 13, 2012 @ 1:08am 
Update 1.02 released[portal2backstock.com]
Update Log:
=============================1.02=============================
  • Fixed warm light strip selection
  • Fixed broken NOT gate
N-Sunderland Aug 13, 2012 @ 8:11am 
I'm still having problems with the NOT gate.

OK, so I have a door connected to a button and a NOT gate. The NOT gate is activated by a trigger behind the door. The idea is to open the door with the button, then have it close as I walk through. But when I start the level, the NOT gate seems to "overwrite" the other connections, and the door is automatically opened, even though I'm not pressing the button. I stand on the button, and the door stays open. But when I get off, the "overwriting" behaviour ceases, and the door closes. Everything works normally from then on.

Is there any way this could be fixed?
FutureGameDev Aug 13, 2012 @ 10:15am 
There is a problem with the pneumatic diversity vent. I told the vent do not start active, and put a turret under it. When I entered the chamber, the turret went up...just a little...then down. Also, why is the focus when placing the vent in the editor on the part that connects to the ceiling? When I select the vent in the editor, it should focus on the center of the floor part for where it goes. Right now I have to place it on the ceiling. Was this intended?
BenVlodgi Aug 13, 2012 @ 6:22pm 
Originally posted by N_Sunderland:
I'm still having problems with the NOT gate.

OK, so I have a door connected to a button and a NOT gate. The NOT gate is activated by a trigger behind the door. The idea is to open the door with the button, then have it close as I walk through. But when I start the level, the NOT gate seems to "overwrite" the other connections, and the door is automatically opened, even though I'm not pressing the button. I stand on the button, and the door stays open. But when I get off, the "overwriting" behaviour ceases, and the door closes. Everything works normally from then on.

Is there any way this could be fixed?
you made sure that you connected the button to the door?... can you send me your p2c file, and I'll check it out

Originally posted by Supreme Gamer:
There is a problem with the pneumatic diversity vent. I told the vent do not start active, and put a turret under it. When I entered the chamber, the turret went up...just a little...then down. Also, why is the focus when placing the vent in the editor on the part that connects to the ceiling? When I select the vent in the editor, it should focus on the center of the floor part for where it goes. Right now I have to place it on the ceiling. Was this intended?
thats because of the floor tiles, and the turret is spawning in the floor, I'll try to change that for a later update. and yes that was the desired behavior, that way people didn't leave vents ending in mid air
N-Sunderland Aug 14, 2012 @ 6:10am 
I've got the P2C file... How exactly do I send it to you?
BenVlodgi Aug 14, 2012 @ 6:32am 
you can upload to dropbox or email it to me at BenVlodgi@gmail.com
N-Sunderland Aug 14, 2012 @ 6:35am 
Will do that now.
N-Sunderland Aug 14, 2012 @ 6:41am 
Sent
FutureGameDev Aug 14, 2012 @ 11:45am 
Couldn't you just make the vent longer? Let the extra stick throught the ceiling for those pesky noclipers to look at?
RED Aug 14, 2012 @ 1:01pm 
I don't understand the logic gates. What are they made for?
FutureGameDev Aug 14, 2012 @ 2:13pm 
Yeah, what are logic gates? And why do people make maps that show logic gates?
BenVlodgi Aug 14, 2012 @ 4:54pm 
the logic gates control invisible logic which you normally have access to in hammer.
The next portal 2 update will give you the ability to make these completely invisible, so you could make invisible traps or something.... logic gates really help when dealing with autoportals
carl.kenner Aug 14, 2012 @ 5:23pm 
"Logic Gates" is just the fancy word for OR, AND, and NOT. For example, you want the door to open if they press the button OR the other button. Maybe you want the door to open when they do NOT press the buttons. Maybe you want the door to open when you press one button AND the other button. That's all the "Logic Gates" means.

You connect the two buttons to the "logic gate" and then connect the "logic gate" to the door. Right click on the logic gate and change the "button type" to change whether it's AND, OR, or NOT.
Showing 1-15 of 2,916 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50