Portal 2

Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Learn More
New! PeTI map styles! Clean, Destroyed, Behind The Scenes, Underground, Portal 1
NEW! BEEMOD 2 alpha .2 is now released. It combines the style changer mod with the BEE mod, and adds a palette editor so you can choose which items you want in your Portal 2 palette.

Go and get it here:
http://portal2backstock.com/bee2/
or here:
http://forums.thinkingwithportals.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2781

It's a rushed preview and chock full of bugs and items that don't work properly. Enjoy!

Update: Oops, a part was missing. Extract this to your portal 2 folder, to fix the Portal 1 style items (otherwise they look like Portal 2 items):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101772879/BEE2%20missing%20part.zip

Original post:
=============================

Updated 25 Jan 2013:
Beta test the mod (new version 1.08) here, Underground and Clean styles only so far (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, Clean): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/StylesModCleanTest2.zip
Update fixes bugs in, and improves, the clean style.

Note! This is buggy and hardly tested and may harm your Portal 2 setup! Use only at your own risk if you like testing things before they're finished! Version 1.01 had a bug which caused all single-player 1950s maps to leak, so you must update to this version!

(out of date) Preview map here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80827420 (made and published only using Puzzle Maker).

Soon you will be able to make Portal 2 puzzle maker maps in different styles without using Hammer. You will be able to compile the exact same map in different styles easily, just by renaming a text file. One second your map is Clean style, a few seconds later you can make the whole thing dirty, or underground, etc.

I worked out how to create new puzzle maker templates, and I've almost finished implementing the Destroyed style. This style features rusted, cracked, and damaged testing apparatus, with plants, dirt, and moss, and the sky shining through holes. I may add prerecorded messages.

I'll do the other styles too.

Any requests for things you want in styles?
Last edited by carl.kenner; Jul 17, 2013 @ 2:01am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 2,410 comments
Layla 1 Jun 29, 2012 @ 2:31pm 
Wheatley? with bottomless pits, cat walks, crushers, monitors, etc.
Geneosis 95 Jun 29, 2012 @ 3:15pm 
Well, are you really working on a mod for the PeTI editor? That will be pretty awesome ^^
As I understood the only modification will be able to implement is different style/texture for almos all elements... So I don't think there is any request we can do about styles, that will already be a good think if we can easily use the "Old Aperture", "Portal 1" and "Future Aperture" styles ;)
carl.kenner 9 Jun 29, 2012 @ 5:40pm 
Yes, I'm working on a mod for the PeTI editor.

OK, I'll do a Wheatley style too. But bottomless pits and crushers are more than a stylistic difference. I don't know if I can change water to a bottomless pit, but I'll try. If I add testing elements to a style, then you lose the ability to swap styles and keep the exact same puzzle in a different style.

Catwalks will also be in the Behind The Scenes style.

I may also be able to add new testing elements (that exist in the game but not PeTI), but I can't add more rows or columns to the item table. So they would have to be accessed by right-clicking existing items, or by replacing all but one cube or paint in the item table, and making people choose the cube/paint-type by right clicking. I am adding the scaling cube, but that will only appear in-game if you have the Sixense Motion Pack DLC and the Razer Hydra or Playstation Move.

Old Aperture style will be the hardest to get looking right, since I can't change the floor/wall/ceiling textures (except before the entrance, after the exit, around testing elements, and in the "observation rooms" which will be changed to something else).
Ciirulean 5 Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:42pm 
Hmmm... mod seems to kind of defeat the purpose. The Hammer World Editor isn't even that hard!
carl.kenner 9 Jun 29, 2012 @ 8:03pm 
I know Hammer isn't that hard. That's what I'm using to make the new styles. But most people still prefer the puzzle maker. And people have maps they've already made in puzzle maker that they might want to quickly convert to a different style, and it takes time to do that in Hammer. Personally, I use a mix of Hammer and generating my own VMF files programmatically. I'm not making the puzzle maker any harder to use. It still works exactly the same as normal. And the maps compiled in a new style can still be exported to Hammer and edited there with the new style already done.
Geneosis 95 Jun 30, 2012 @ 6:12am 
Oh, ok so if you can add more items to the list, I think you could check this discussion to see what people need the most ;)

Personnally I'm really interested by : Signs, trigger blocs, hability to select a start angle and a deployed angle for the inclinated pannels (so that for ewemple you can switch between 90° and 45°) ^^
Last edited by Geneosis; Jun 30, 2012 @ 6:53am
carl.kenner 9 Jun 30, 2012 @ 6:32am 
Singing or signs?
Right now I'm working on the Portal 1 style. It's looking good, but I still need to do the Portal 1 entrance and exit elevator and the Portal 1 style doors.
Sandy 11 Jun 30, 2012 @ 6:45am 
This is nice, especially for mac users who cant use hammer
Geneosis 95 Jun 30, 2012 @ 6:54am 
Signs, sorry X) I edited the post...
carl.kenner 9 Jul 1, 2012 @ 2:38am 
Portal 2 does have singing too, in some levels, so I thought I'd better check.

I can't test it on a mac, but it should work.
m353 1 Jul 1, 2012 @ 4:38pm 
about the crusherers, why not have a start-enabled modded piston?
Geneosis 95 Jul 1, 2012 @ 4:57pm 
@maxathy : What do you mean by a "start-enabled" positon? If you mean a "start-deployed" piston, you can currently do that by dragging the arrow on the piston to make it retract when activated...
DannyVFilms 17 Jul 5, 2012 @ 1:54pm 
So are these mods going to take over some of the spaces in the item list in PeTI, or are they adding items to the list? And how exactly are we supposed to change the style once the mod is out?
carl.kenner 9 Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:44am 
Any new items that I add have to replace existing items in the item list. So, for example, if you want a companion cube, you would have to choose cube then right click it and change type to companion. Buf if you want the new item you would find it in the companion cube slot.

You would change styles by copying editoritems.p1.txt (for Portal 1 style) to replace editoritems.txt, then restarting Portal 2. Then you preview or publish your map again, and it's in a whole new style automatically. I might make a program to do the file copying for you with a GUI (but you have to do it manually on the Mac).

I'm also making a program (that replaces vbsp.exe so it runs automatically when you compile) to remove the item limit and to replace the wall, floor, antline, and symbol textures which can't be changed with an editor mod. (Mac users will have to do that manually, sorry). I tried hard to make the styles look as close as possible even with the original floor and ceiling textures though, so you the editor mod is still good on it's own without replacing vbsp.exe.
DannyVFilms 17 Jul 6, 2012 @ 6:45am 
my vbsp.exe has already been replaced with an entity limit breaking mod.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 2,410 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 29, 2012 @ 9:02am