The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
Caveman Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:02am
Who agrees that you should be able to get mods for the PS3 & Xbox?
I DO
Last edited by Caveman; Oct 24, 2013 @ 2:07am
Showing 1-15 of 64 comments
< >
Ted Bundy's Undies Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:13am 
I also would like this, but there is the problem of conflicting mods, games crashing (Which can be avoided, maybe with a warning that they will conflict if possible) and I think I'm right in saying there are legal issues as well preventing it.
Caveman Jun 4, 2012 @ 5:09am 
true but they still shuld
MrDumpty Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:16pm 
Should* If you want mods buy the game on PC, you must have a PC if you have Steam.
L Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:34am 
i would love it... not gonna happen though.
first thing would be the age ratings.. its a 12.. someone adds a nude mod or something similar.. and boom..18. now owners have an 18 on a 12 box. fine on pc games.. but because of point 2 it's gonna cause complaints...
next... console games work diferently than pc ones... pc ones install the game onto your pc but consoles stay on the disk. this means that modding would need you to alter what is on the disk.. along with the legal implications of that second hand games could become full of viruses or some ♥♥♥♥ and they would have all the mods the previous owner put on... making point one a bigger problem. plus bad mods or broken mods would damage what is on the disk, meaning there would be no reinstall if something goes wrong.
Blud Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:37pm 
Nah--just make PC games to avoid consolitus disease that has ruined PC gaming.
You want mods and console commands--buy the PC version
Lajos Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:33pm 
Jamjar I agree that they probably wouldn't allow things like nude mods to be released on consoles, however I disagree with your assessment that they have to change games at run time or worry about bad second hand copies. All modern gaming systems have hard drives, so it is possible to do full installs of games and just use the disc for copy protection purposes. That being said, I'm not sure how many people would be willing to install something as huge as Skyrim on their xbox 360.

Viruses can still very much be a problem though, but you can surf the internet with your xbox, so viruses are always a problem.
L Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:11am 
very good points lajos.. however consoles would have to be remade to work like a pc for that to work. and that would mean you would... in all probability be getting something that you could get exactly the same thing on pc, which has better processor,graphics engine and the like and because you would be using something that is the console equivalent of using steam. plus it would not have any of the internet features that a pc can hold. therefore consoles would have to be brought up to date to even compete. this would also mean that consoles would become gaming pc's in essence if they were given the features, making people just want to buy a gaming pc instead as it would be cheaper to get a much more powerful one, meaning there would be less sales of consoles. while this would be a golden age for gamers, console makers would be spending much more on production and lose sales. something they would probably discourage
Lajos Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:12am 
Eh? Not really jamjar, the original xbox included a hard drive specifically for game updates and the like. It just hasn't been put to proper use. Consoles are using that hard drive space for things like netflix streaming and such. It's not really all that different, at least not for the Xbox 360, especially considering that the Xbox 360 actually runs an operating system similar to Windows and uses the DirectX libraries (it is literally a PC with a console wrapper on top). However, the hardware in the PS3 is significantly different enough though that there could be some issues there.

About the hardware capabilities of the PS3 and the Xbox 360. They will always be markedly lower than the top of the line PC, but I think you don't give them enough credit. If these consoles are considered weak it is only because they are coming close to the end of their generational cycle (meaning that they using obsolete equipment, and the fact that games like Skyrim can run on them at all means that they had to be cut back.) Console makers already lose money on the units too, but they make it up in royalties of game sales. In other words, the system is already like that.

For mods to work the developers would have to take advantage of this system. That being said, some mods definitely would not work on consoles, because of the limitations you mentioned. Perhaps it is not just the consoles that are blocking mods, but developers like Bethesda that cannot devote the time to making mods practical (with mods, comes bugs, and more so when the game is underpowered as it is).

I think the real problem, as I said earlier is more likely that people wouldn't want to do full installs with such large games on the system provided hard drives; this would cause users to likely spend more money on upgrading their consoles, when it is as you said, far more efficient for them to just spend money on a better PC, especially for cross platform games like Skyrim.

And a note about the internet capabilities of the Xbox 360 and PS3. They have pretty fast network cards in them already. I actually have a PS3 hooked up to a wireless bridge right now via ethernet cable, and it can stream movies from Netflix in high definition with no problem. It isn't at all slower than running it from my PC, and it looks nicer on the TV to boot. We even have a DLNA server set up and stream stuff from our personal computers over the network. Heck if you want, they even have internet browsers for your console.
Giskard Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:57am 
I am PC modder that has no love for consoles at all but if a game supports the PC (properly, not like Skyrim does with its horrible PC console UI) as well as the consoles. I'll happily do my best to make mods work on consoles too. I'll even write guides and stuff for other modders to follow to limit the risks of conflicts. I do that already. But if a game fails to support the PC fully, I would not consider supporting another platform when my own favoured platform is poorly supported.
EverLastingDoom™ Jun 6, 2012 @ 7:16am 
I never figure out why people try so hard to make ps3/xbox360 moddable.. :\.. just buy the damn pc version.. if you cannot run it put it on low settings or get a better graphics card because for one I don't have to pay a stupid amount online just to play monthly. If you are one of the types that cannot lower it because of graphics thats to bad, the game isn't centered around graphics.. look at the storyline for once. Secondly you can always get it cheaper for pc if you know where to look :P - I got my saints row the third from amazon for like 30 only after a month it had been out and was downloadable.
Lajos Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:18am 
They want it moddable for the same reason PC games are moddable, they see us modding Skyrim and they get jealous. I play my games almost exclusively on PC. It may look like I championed this thread, but I was only exploring the possibilities. Maybe it will become more realistic and/or a reality with the next generation of consoles.

Now about buying the PC version itself. In theory this is a great solution, but not always practical. Skyrim requires a rather fast PC to play it properly, and an even faster one to mod it effectively. It is much cheaper, and more effective to just play it on a console. Not everyone has a top notch PC. In fact up until a few months ago I had a PC that was still running Windows XP, and was probably not even capable of running Skyrim at all. That would be an impossible expense just to pay for a modding ability, when the Xbox 360 has the same potential. Of course some people just prefer playing games on the console too.
EverLastingDoom™ Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:29am 
Originally posted by Lajos:
They want it moddable for the same reason PC games are moddable, they see us modding Skyrim and they get jealous. I play my games almost exclusively on PC. It may look like I championed this thread, but I was only exploring the possibilities. Maybe it will become more realistic and/or a reality with the next generation of consoles.

Now about buying the PC version itself. In theory this is a great solution, but not always practical. Skyrim requires a rather fast PC to play it properly, and an even faster one to mod it effectively. It is much cheaper, and more effective to just play it on a console. Not everyone has a top notch PC. In fact up until a few months ago I had a PC that was still running Windows XP, and was probably not even capable of running Skyrim at all. That would be an impossible expense just to pay for a modding ability, when the Xbox 360 has the same potential. Of course some people just prefer playing games on the console too.

"Championed this thread" ??? The hell you talking about, lol

Mate they just need to ask people what they need, if they don't have the money its probably 80% its a kid that shouldn't play it in the first place. Cheaper to play on console?.. Please don't make me laugh - xbox360 you have to pay 10$ a month to just stay online or chat with others.. :\.. ps3 is well.. yeah. I have an 2 year old pc running skyrim on medium..

[[Ignore the flag as spam moderator accidently hit that instead of quote xD]]
Lajos Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:55am 
Originally posted by OZone:
"Championed this thread" ??? The hell you talking about, lol
I mean that I'm arguing on the side of the console users suggesting that console users be allowed mods the same way as PC users. I meant to say there that I had no real stake in the argument.

It is cheaper to play on the console, but that $10 a month you cited for Xbox Live is a price that Xbox users pay anyway, regardless of having Skyrim. When you compare that to $800 minimum to buy a computer capable of playing Skyrim effectively, it is still a bargain, especially considering that the Xbox Live users are likely to continue using Xbox Live. Meaning that you have cited an irrelevant cost.

However, you're right it might be a kid that wants to mod Skyrim, but I don't think you should hold that against them. It might similarly be a person who just doesn't want to buy a second copy of Skyrim. Who wants to buy a copy of Skyrim for every platform they own?
Jacob Jun 6, 2012 @ 4:46pm 
Agreed. Before I got a PC I was so ♥♥♥♥ed I couldn't get mods on my XBox for Oblivion. It would be for console gamers to get a cut of the moding community but it ain't ever going to happen on consoles unfortunetley.
Spurlz Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:56pm 
Who agrees that Bethesda should implement the features from Xbox Kinect into the PC version of Skyrim? (Granted yes - we have 'Thuumic', which is, in it's own right, amazing, but there are delays as well as less functionality than the official implementation with Kinect).

Oh, and yeah... to get on topic - Xbox & PS3 Mods option would be nice, but likely is just not a realistic wish.
Even though Skyrim is Skyrim regardless of platform, I'm sure there are enough differences between the consoles and PC that a direct port simply would be impossible without a substatial amount of additional work going into each Mod.
Showing 1-15 of 64 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:02am