Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Advance to the Steam Age
Explore new maps, multiplayer scenarios, and user created campaigns. Or reinvent your game experience with new sounds, visuals, AI, units, and more! Ready to share your creations with the world? Upload right from the map editor, or collaborate with friends to create a masterpiece collection.
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Zetnus 58 Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:52am
Publishing/Updating in the New Workshop
Publishing under the new system

1) Take a look at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\resources and find out where the files that you have modded normally reside. For example, scenarios are in \_common\scenario

2) Go to \Age2HD\mods and create a new folder and name it what you want your mod to be called in the workshop.

3) You need to recreate the folder structure that you found in the resources folder. For example, to publish a scenario you would make these folders: \mods\YOUR_MOD_NAME\resources\_common\scenario\YOUR_SCENARIO.scx

4) Open the game and click on “Steam Workshop”. You should hopefully see an unpublished entry for your mod. You can publish it from here. If you don’t see an entry, you probably misnamed one of your folders.

5) You can edit the preview image by replacing \mods\YOUR_MOD_NAME\_preview-icon.jpg

Hope this helps! Please ask any questions you might have.

You can also look at this guide:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=567056287
or this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0EfdBZm6O8

Updating under the new system

1) Subscribe to your item that you want to update

2) Make sure that title of your mod in the Workshop exactly matches the name of the folder that houses your mod. (for this example, both should be called YOUR_MOD_NAME)
If this is not the case, change one of them to match the other.

2)Go to \mods\YOUR_MOD_NAME\ and make sure you have the new versions of your files in place

2)Start the game and click on “Steam Workshop”

3)You should see two entries for your mod:
-One will have the “update mod” option grayed out. This is the subscription. If you click on it, you can see the file names of the files currently included in the published version of your mod.
-The other will have “update mod” available and should list the new file names (if you changed the names).
-If you see a BLUE FEATHER and “publish mod” available, then you need to STOP. Either: You are not subscribed to your mod. Exit the game and go do that.
Or: If the name of your mod folder does not exactly match the name of the item in the workshop you will also have a blue feather. In this case you need to rename either the folder or the entry in the Workshop so that they are identical. Only then can you proceed with updating it.

4)If everything is in order, click on “update mod”.

5)Clear the description field to prevent it from overriding your existing description in the workshop

6)Update!

This thread used to house information about bugs in the “old workshop” (pre-patch 4.0+); you can still find that information here:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/144512942757898940/?appid=221380
Most of the early posts here relate to the old workshop and are no longer relevant.
Last edited by Zetnus; Feb 11 @ 2:29am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 82 comments
Ozhara 214 Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:35am 
Really a great idea!

Most errors and fixes I know of are already in the list, here some additions:

As error numbers are sometimes hard to find themselve, you should add error 16 is a connection timeout, so beside trying it again it is also a good thing to try at times steam is used less, I experienced much better uploading connections then. :)

If you rename your publishing name to the one you used for your initial upload, you will still get no update, as it will be published as a new mod, for it checks the steam title first and in a second step the file name on the steam server.
And renaming a file in your modfolder will change nothing - so you should rename the steam title while updating in any case.

The deleting - the verification just checks/deletes the original game files. So EVERY additional file a mod provides - even ones using AoEs mod integration, like additional slps for graphics - won't be deleted. So in case of graphic mods it's the best to just delete the slp folder if you aren't sure.
To check what files you have to delete you can also open the modfile, that is just a zip-archive without an extension.

If a mod doesn't work after a subscription, delete all mod files you unsubscribed. For they are additional files, they will never be deleted automatically, and sometimes steam gets confused for which ones to use. So keeping this folder clean manually will help you getting less subscription errors.

If your mod vanishes from the workshop, it also helps to open it by clicking on a link to it.
Last edited by Ozhara; Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:39am
Ozhara 214 Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:40am 
Oh, and I experienced you sometimes get less error 16s while uploading, if you don't use the dialog in the AoE main menu, but create/edit a scenario, opening the dialog from ingame.

And for updating, it seems the version in your mod folder before trying an update has to be the actual one, so it can be necessary to subscribe to your own mod. When I experienced the not working updates, I tried it several times in a row, getting an error number I don't remember, that vanished each time after a new round of unsub/verification/resub the mod.
Last edited by Ozhara; Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:46am
Zetnus 58 Sep 24, 2013 @ 4:38am 
thanks for your additions, I will update the post!

Originally posted by Ozhara:

If you rename your publishing name to the one you used for your initial upload, you will still get no update, as it will be published as a new mod, for it checks the steam title first and in a second step the file name on the steam server.
And renaming a file in your modfolder will change nothing - so you should rename the steam title while updating in any case.

This updating mess is still confusing me , but here is what I have observed:

1. If you don't give the mod you are updating the exactly same title as it already has in the workshop, you will get a new submission instead of updating the current one.
2. If you do give it the same title as it has in the workshop, but that title is not the same as the file in your mods folder, you will get publish error 9.
3A. If you then rename the file in the mods folder to match the title in the workshop, you will not get publish error 9, and it will seem to be sucessful, however the original file will still be in the workshop.
3B. If you rename the workshop title to fit the modifile you will not get publish error 9, and it will seem to be sucessful, however the original file will still be in the workshop.
4. The above seems to happen regardless of whether or not you are subscribed to the item at the time.

If someone can find a working method for updating submissions more than once, please post it!
Zetnus 58 Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:40am 
If a moderator wants to make this post sticky so that it's at the top of the Workshop discussions, that might be be very usefull for Workshop users.
Bassefrom 15 Oct 24, 2013 @ 8:03am 
It doesn't need to be stickied, it has to be fixed.
Zetnus 58 Oct 25, 2013 @ 8:35am 
Originally posted by Bassefrom:
It doesn't need to be stickied, it has to be fixed.

I agree - but I can't fix it myself so all I can do is raise awareness and hope that it is moved up the priority list for stuff to fix.
Zetnus 58 Dec 24, 2013 @ 3:39pm 
I've never really had many problems with publish error 16 until now, because most of my items weren't huge. But now I've been trying to upload a set of soundtracks which total almost 100 mb, so I just wanted to ask if you know what the limit is (I think it was either 100 or 120 mb). In any case I have tried the uploader in the main menu and in the scenario editor multiple times each without sucess. I try will see if splitting the tracks into 2 sets helps. Also, is there a max file size for individual files?
Ozhara 214 Dec 24, 2013 @ 6:24pm 
The whole mods max size is 100mb, a single file has a max of 2mb.

I experienced exactly the same, the larger a mod the more error 16 I get. And it's not my connection, in case I forgot some file at one try, it worked like a charm.

Some of my soundtracks needed retrying to publish them for more than an hour/20+ tries.
Sometimes it helped to reset my internet connection as for some reason the first try works much better most of the time.
Almost none of my soundtracks worked with less than 5-8 tries...

And it's similar to this when using soundtracks. May it be due to their size or whatever. No other type of mod seems to be that buggy.

Most common errors are not to wait for them to copmpletelly download or to cancel the intro too early so their extraction cancels (for their size, here this really matters).

But I even read in the LoTR soundtrack that some people have to start a rms match and close the game before the soundtrack is kind of 'activated' after the next game start.

By now I mostly recommend to extract soundtrack mods manually in case the archive file was downloaded correctly. That way you can pass most installation bugs and it works pretty well.
Last edited by Ozhara; Dec 24, 2013 @ 6:36pm
Zetnus 58 Dec 26, 2013 @ 2:59am 
Thanks for the info. Max 2mb per file? That would explain why I am having trouble.

... On the other hand, I just browsed throught your GoT tracks and quite a few of them are more than 2mb, so how did you get those uploaded if there is a 2mb limit per individual file?
Ozhara 214 Dec 26, 2013 @ 4:06am 
Oh, sorry. Seems I was a bit confused... As you surely know the preview image has a max size of 2mb. An I think I had a problem with files larger in size than 2mb with some early graphic/terrain mods... but not completely sure about that. For soundtracks there seems to be no limit.

But I experienced the uploading problems to start from around 25mb onwards. The more problems the large the complete mod. (The size of the preview image counts to the complete mods size when uploading it...)

So there seems to be no solution for now beside to try it over and over again /like I do - sometimes for real hours... :( - or to split it down massively. But for the 30 mods cap AoE has at the moment this isn't very userfriendly...
Zetnus 58 Jan 5, 2014 @ 1:21pm 
Well I managed to get it uploaded by reducing the quality so that the files are only half as large (50mb). It took a long time to upload but it worked in the end.

But ... now I've run into the visibility issue issue again (where stuff doesn't turn up in the lists or searches). -_- .....
Ozhara 214 Jan 5, 2014 @ 1:25pm 
For me too, but just today.

And it seems the lists are all totally 'dead'. The daily list looks exactly like the most rated one for me, so there are no entries from today at all. The screenshots didn't change since yesterday...
So this is different from the other issue, as mods are affected that didn't loose their visibility.

I tried the old trick with the visibility, but my new collection doesn't show up.
cjbeards 5 Feb 26, 2014 @ 4:10pm 
Good job putting this out there. The updating has been a real problem for me.
Zetnus 58 Mar 2, 2014 @ 4:04pm 
Originally posted by ♥♥♥eards:
Good job putting this out there. The updating has been a real problem for me.

Yeah. I have been putting off adding AoF support to my maps, because it would mean having to make a bunch of new Workshop items, since I can't reliably update the current ones.
Filthydelphia 18 Mar 5, 2014 @ 5:58pm 
Is the files not updating thing ever going to be fixed?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 82 comments
Per page: 15 30 50