Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Your own custom apocalypse
Discover and download new maps, Add-ons, Mutations and more! Want to try your hand at modding or want to upload your mod to Steam? Click here to learn more.
Pika1up Sep 19, 2013 @ 4:01pm
making vpk files
please im trying to make a vpk file ;-; i wanna make it easoer to install then replacing all the files <.> plz someone help me i wanna help work on sound mods
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Stark Raven 5 Sep 19, 2013 @ 8:35pm 
Step 1) Install Left 4 Dead 2 Authoring Tools from the Tools section fo your Steam library.
Step 2) Navigate to your Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\bin folder and find the vpk.exe file. Create a shortcut to it for ease of use.
Step 3) Create a sound file with the exact time and parameters of the sound you want to replace.
Step 4) Re-create the file/folder structure of the sound you want to replace.
Step 5) Drag the root folder onto the vpk.exe. If all goes well, you'll get a .vpk file.
Step 6) Place the .vpk into your Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\addons folder. Go in game and activate the sound mod from the Addons menu.

If you did anything wrong, the sound won't play, or will sound weird. Be careful and be precise.
Last edited by Stark Raven; Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:06am
Pika1up Sep 20, 2013 @ 9:58pm 
;-; but i did all thos steps and when i test it on l4d 2 it doesnt work i even double clicked my vpk file and it says its installed correctly and i left it in my addon and it displays in my addon as well...and i did the same following online even put the script in there thats required
Stark Raven 5 Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:14pm 
Do not double-click to install addons. It usually doesn't work. Use only the addons folder. It may also make manually installed addons not work, try verifying the integrity of your game cache and check again.
Pika1up Sep 21, 2013 @ 6:28pm 
=~= i know that...but someone says if it doesnt say it wasnt sucesfully done it means theres something wrong and u have to fix it and then put it in the addons
Stark Raven 5 Sep 21, 2013 @ 7:34pm 
Left 4 Dead 2's automatic installer is flawed. If it works through placement in the addon folder, it works.

If you're truly desperate, LuKeM's L4D2 Sound Mod Creator will in most cases do everything for you; http://forum.l4dmaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8888 You only need the sound you want to use as a replacement and know the name of the sound you want to replace.
Pika1up Sep 21, 2013 @ 7:37pm 
o-o woa...well i might try his maybe
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Sep 19, 2013 @ 4:01pm