Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
5 Aug 15, 2013 @ 7:15pm
The dark truth of the Steam Workshop and Valve.
I'm going to start this off with a few warnings: Firstly, this is going to be pretty long for a discussion posted here, so if you're like so many of TF2's players, you'll probably skip right over this because of its length and lack of relevance to you getting hats. Sort of.

Also I would like to open by saying I use the term "brony" in this post not because of respect or recognition of the term, but because my words for these... people would be wordfiltered until the post is unreadble.

This post is mostly going to be complaints about how Steampipe has almost completely ruined the ability to create custom game content for TF2 and basically any other Source based game, and perhaps most importantly, severely altered the methods that users have to go about to get their content published on the workshop and added to a game. The issue here is not the inherent difficulty that comes with the territory of making custom game content, let me say that I personally enjoy the challenge of making quality models, textures, and other content, and compounded on top of that, I enjoy the experience of learning to use new software. So too is it refreshing to read about the proposed efficiency of Steampipe. The real issue is one much deeper, darker, and to some, completely batsh*t insane.

I first noticed this when the Robotic Boogaloo update went live, though, I had an inkling long before that. The contributors to the Robotic Boogaloo were almost all repeat contributors, and on top of that, their association with the brony community is too almost across the board. As I said, before the update went live or the contributors were listed, I noticed in previous item submissions that oftentimes, uninspired, bland, and overall lackluster submissions to the TF2 workshop were accepted and added to the game while much more fun-spirited, stylistically accurate submissions were consistently not added. The kicker? The lackluster additions were submitted by those associating themselves, either in name, friendship, or membership to a group, with the brony community. Oftentimes, these items, while not necessarily pleasing or amazing, are regarded by the community quite highly, seemingly beloved by all, and many of these items command a high price well beyond what is typically the "expiration date" for TF2 items.

Of course, I know at this point many of you will shrug this off. It's coincidence that these users submit well compiled, complete items to the workshop, and they just happen to be the best at following the simple instructions that Valve laid out in their submission guidelines. There is a guide currently up on the workshop about getting Gold Stars, addressing this fact. The idea of coincidence is nice, isn't it? But alas, coincidence does not quite describe this trend. Repeat contributors know how to do it right, that's without a doubt, but to so much as suggest that most people who are dedicated to getting their items added to the game simply cannot do it right is a foolish thing to say, and ignores several important facts:

1. The Steampipe update went live, and contributors from before Steampipe had it instantly figured out and were ready to provide the content for the Robotic Boogaloo update with no outside help.

2. The Valve Developer Wiki has not updated with helpful information for users wishing to create mods for Steampipe, ignoring several important facts like the changes in names and locations of Unusual Particle Effects, .mdl files, and other information important to users who wish to contribute to the workshop or simply make person modifications.

3. Tools that used to be important, easy to use, and easy to access are now worthless broken messes (Source SDK, StudioCompiler) that have recieved either no replacement service, or confusing and generally displeasing replacements that no one asked for.

What is it with these facts, though? What's the point? Simple: the contributors for Robotic Boogaloo had inside information about this update, information that has still not made its way into an easily accessable form, since no guides have been written to walk new users through the ins and outs of Steampipe and what has changed, no users have proudly stepped forward to offer new tools or show where Valve has provided tools to help the community... the list could go on and offer nothing to this posting but more barely needed words.

But wait, what does this have to do with bronies? Well, let's look back at the Pyro update. Indeed, we all believed in magic that day, as the Pyro frolicked through his distorted sense of reality, making friends and helping the world. We got a first hand view of Pyroland, all of its rainbows and pastels ironically stinging the eyes of the slightly subdued colors of the Team Fortress universe. Everyone realized this was a shoutout to the "passing fad" that is My Little Pony. The joke is, it was more than a shoutout, it was a message. Not only were bronies being given a sickening "brohoof", they were being acknowledged in a way that offers them protection from the masses who exist to antagonize them for their affection towards a children's television program. Valve had given them the method to dominate their enemies, and that method is to almost exclusively accept items made by a member of the brony community. Everything adds up to this.

I'm sure at this point it's expected for me to give you a "too long; didn't read" plot synopsis, and I'll gladly oblige my readers, but I warn you, reading just the tl;dr will probably make no sense to you: Valve is in full support of bronies and almost exclusively accepts workshop items from members of the My Little Pony fanbase.

Thanks for reading, and keep it in mind.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 57 comments

SAY WHA~?

I thought people already knew that the Robotic Boogaloo creators were given a private beta of sorts to test the new importer before it went live; Valve said it themselves.

It's perfectly logical that Valve would favour people that they've seen know the ins-and-outs of item creation (save for newer model-//shot//) and there are a number of people not identifying as bronies who've had items accepted.

I don't even...
sho Aug 17, 2013 @ 4:05pm 
I'm with Lolsuscribed. Adding onto his comment (read it youself it's right above mine), it's likely that it was just a coincidence that most/all of the beta testers were bronies, it's a very large fanbase.
eamono Aug 17, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
a better tl;dr

He claims that valve only accepts workshop items from bronies and that valve has given them special tools to use after the steampipe update that nobody else has access too. He also goes on to say that the meet the pyro trailer was valve saying "hey bronies, your safe here, we'll accept you and help you beat all those haters"

OP is either trolling or just stupid. There is absolutely no reason for valve to do this, if they only let brony's items get in the game then they get less money, valve wants money. end of story
sho Aug 18, 2013 @ 11:24am 
@cookies

but valve is making ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ of money

why do they want more
SeeYou Aug 18, 2013 @ 6:22pm 
Because no matter how much money you have, ther is more to be had. Why not get it?

Also, I find your extreme disgust with bronies offputting. It's just another fandom, if on that seems to be quite popular at the moment.
TankCatapult Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:22pm 
I find your lack of love towards our hooved brethren quite disturbing...
Last edited by TankCatapult; Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:22pm
william lane craig 4 (Banned) Aug 22, 2013 @ 9:09am 
So what you're saying is that Valve is trying to help people accept a normally downtrodden miniority in our society by opening the eyes of the ignorant to the fact that you can like tf2 and MLP at the same time?

I think that you just hate people who watch the show.
YRAG FISH Aug 22, 2013 @ 10:48am 
... while is see the logic behind this i just... just cant comprehend the fact you think valve is trying to create a brony barn... its, well its insane. Sure bronies contributed to the update... but they had by far the best designs BY FAR. u say they werent good or whatever idk if you are just predujiced as hell (most likely) or stupid but theyre desighns were just fine.:medicon:
Switchska Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:27am 
what thats insane its not like they made a f**king unicorn or some sh-
(balloonicorn.png)
SeeYou Aug 23, 2013 @ 4:06pm 
Originally posted by /FSnC\ Allegro:
Valve is in full support of bronies

Is there a reason they shouldn't be?
OmniWarpLuck Aug 24, 2013 @ 7:38am 
The Brony Conspiracy. It all makes sense now. I bet we can trace this back to Catherine the Great... or even as far back as Emperor Caligula! The Bronies have always been there, in the shadows, looking for a way they could force decent folks to allow them to make love to horses! Now they finally have it. With the Multinational corporation Valve backing them, nations will fall as this social ill spreads across the land and the moral fiber of society breaks down. Thanks, thanks for alerting us to this troubling and dark conspiracy.

Actually, despite the silliness of what I just said, what he is saying is possible. It could have been anything though. It just happened to be MLP. Minorities CAN ramrod a person into power, if they are focused enough. The point is... who cares? Discrimination is inescapable, and that may be.. probably is happenening... although I suspect it's rooted less in distrust of others and more in... nepotism and cronyism. Oh.. look at that! Bronyism. Elect Applejohn (or whatever...) Good Times Rainbow Cupcake Mayor of Steamville. Give it time. These people will tear each other down if they really are spitefully keeping others out. Spite isn't a laser, and won't stay focused so well for long. Again, the real conspiracy? People favorite thier favorite creators, and never bother to trudge through the pages and pages of workshop submissions.. because ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ consistantly ignore the submission guidelines and post ♥♥♥♥ models they have no intention of improving or that they stole... so they can discuss an idea for something or simply be a "troll-baby". (Thats what the FORUMS are for. Not the workshop.) If the Workshop wasn't so cluttered, I doubt there would be evidence of much of a conspiracy. People would discover great creators more often. The Lowest common denominator in this whole thing is laziness. People don't want to deal with the basic workshop.
5 Oct 31, 2013 @ 1:05pm 
Disbelievers, I turn your attention to the Magical Mercenary.

I warned you. You could have prevented it. You should have listened. Etc doompaul.jpg quotes.
smug 13 Oct 31, 2013 @ 3:33pm 
Sounds more like a hate campaign towards bronies.

The unicorn hat has nothing in common with MLP expect the fact its a unicorn
I also make workshop models and SourceSDK and studio compiler works fine for me
OmniWarpLuck Oct 31, 2013 @ 5:14pm 
Originally posted by Sean bean™:
Sounds more like a hate campaign towards bronies.

The unicorn hat has nothing in common with MLP expect the fact its a unicorn
I also make workshop models and SourceSDK and studio compiler works fine for me

And the Conspiracy thickens! Oddly enough, that poster's comment is more convincing than the "Magical Mercenary" item is on it's own. Now that Bronies are actually defending thier crimes, I have a feeling this counter movement will only grow... to proportions as ridiculous as any single aspect you choose to focus on about all of this, and possibly as much as all aspects combined. Either that, or, the Brony community will split when the new Carebear reboot hits the air, and those factions will duke it out over the familer vistas of Teufort and Gravel Pit. All the while, Gabe will be mincing his hands as the profits roll in, hoof over bearclaw.

I'd be interested in hearing if there is a connection to the Valve Hardware Beta and the Brony Barn Conspiracy. Inquiring minds would like to know!
Vernes Nov 1, 2013 @ 4:02am 
I often forget that these games are also played by kids who spend large amount of energy defending their own idea of what is 'cool' and what is 'lame'.

This thread is a good reminder how something like a hat (virtual at that) can enrage children.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 57 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 15, 2013 @ 7:15pm