Age of Empires II: HD Edition
Advance to the Steam Age
Explore new maps, multiplayer scenarios, and user created campaigns. Or reinvent your game experience with new sounds, visuals, AI, units, and more! Ready to share your creations with the world? Upload right from the map editor, or collaborate with friends to create a masterpiece collection.
Alduziu Aug 6, 2013 @ 9:12am
How do i set fixed player starting spawns in the AOE2 Map editor?
Hello everyone, i'm making a map with islands, i want each player to be on each invidual island, but it has to be random too, like player 1 isn't always on the same island, neither the rest of the players.

Does anyone know?
Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Zetnus 37 Aug 7, 2013 @ 7:40am 
If you are making a random map script, the following descriptions from RMSG.doc might be of help:

set_zone_by_team

Will keep all players on a certain team in the same zone. For example, on an island map this will allow a team to share an island. To keep everyone on their own island, do not include this command.

set_zone_randomly

Will randomly determine zones, so that some players may be on the same island, while others may not be.

If you are making a scenario, then this won't apply...
Last edited by Zetnus; Aug 7, 2013 @ 7:43am
Alduziu Aug 7, 2013 @ 10:12am 
Hello Zetnus,

Thank you for your reply.
However i've never heard of RMSG.doc before until today, I've tried googling the doc, but it seems like this doc can be found on the AOE2 disk, which i do not have anymore, well i do but it's in 2 pieces, neither can i find the file in the AOE2HD folder.

Anyway, I've clicked "Create scenario" in the age2HD map editor, but it's basically a map with islands to play the game in a normal way. the only thing is, i've placed the resources in a way which requires the town center to be in a fixed location on each of the invidual island to keep balance, even if there are teams players still should get their own island.

I will do some more googling for the RMSG.doc though it looks like it contains a lot of info and things that could help me with my problem hopefully!

Zetnus 37 Aug 7, 2013 @ 10:40am 
Well you are making a scenario, so the random map scripting guide (RMSG) won't help you. That is a different area from creating scenarios. A random map script is a text file that defines the paramaters within which a map will be randomly generated (like when you play a costal map), while a scenario is a map where everything is set in a given location (like when you play a campaign).

The problem is that in a scenario you need to place the town center in a fixed location, and it will be in that place for that player every time. You can't randomize the placement.

You can try not placing anything for a player, and then they will spawn a TC at a random location, however, you may not end up with one on each island, and some players may start right next to each other, which is hardly optimal.

It might be possible to use tirggers in your scenario to somehow randomize the ownshership of startting islands, but I do not know how that might be achieved.

Good luck!

Here is a mod I made that will give the RMSG if you should ever decide to go into that. (I'll admit It is a bit more dull than making scenarios, and the it takes longer to see your results)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150455845
Alduziu Aug 9, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Thank you zetnus, i've already subscribed to your mod, i've already looked into it, looks like something that requires patience and some serious research before making any RMSG's

Oh well i will still give my scenario map a try though, i hope all that hard work into the terrain editing isn't for nothing, well not that it's the best terrain i've edited but wasted enough hours to make it so, lol.

[LT3] Eon Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:28am 
I'm gonna go ahead n guess this means then I can't set multiple possible spots for someone to spawn in, right? Because I'm testing out the map maker for AoE2HD and was trying to figure out how I can set it so each of the 2 players has their set of possible spots to spawn in the map from a few possibile spots....I'm guessing that's not actually possible then in AoE2HD?

Seems strange but okay :/
known2own4sho 11 Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:43am 
You can do it - it was done in this World Conquest map below:

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=3275

From the features:
STANDARD MAP - start you off randomly on anyone of the continents with a town center, 3 villagers, and 1 scout.

Take a look at the triggers using trigger studio if need be.
[LT3] Eon Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:04am 
Don't suppose you can give assistance in helping? I'd be lost on what to do lol
known2own4sho 11 Aug 28, 2013 @ 9:08pm 
Have you opened the scenario in the scenario editor? Take a look at the triggers.

Also get this:

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5858
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 6, 2013 @ 9:12am