Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 18, 2013 @ 1:50pm
Workshop Noob Question
Howdy!
I've been at it for a few days now trying to make a simple hat for TF2 and have encountered a problem. I have an .obj file along with its LOD, both are UV mapped with normal and team textures. It has been compiled and works in HLMV. I understand I now need an .smd, .vmt, and .vtf file now. I downloaded XSI Mod Tool hoping that could convert my model but there are zero Valve Source addon tutorials for it. I don't even know if it recognized the bip_head bone.

Essentially, can I finish the hat with XSI Mod Tool? If so, how? If not, could you point me in the direction of some freeware that will work? Not about to shell out 3 grand for 3dsMax. Thanks!
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:45pm 
So are these "discussions" just billboards to post your monotonously trite "ideas" to pressure 3D modelers into making an item just for you and your ostentatious main?
gryn_ 12 Jul 20, 2013 @ 4:48pm 
Maybe insulting the very people you're asking to get help from isn't the best approach... In any case, why not look into blender and grab yourself a copy of the smd io script for it. You'll be able to skin your hat to bip_head and export out as an SMD. From there you bring it into the in-game importer, load up your texture files, LODs and export out/upload to the workshop...
>>--The Heartsman---> 95 Jul 20, 2013 @ 4:51pm 
how do you make items for TF2?????
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 20, 2013 @ 5:38pm 
The people I insulted are the exact people that wouldn't be able to help. Thanks for your help, gryn, I'm trying that now.
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 20, 2013 @ 6:19pm 
Can't even install the script. Getting a bunch of errors when enabling addon. I refuse to believe I'm this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.
gryn_ 12 Jul 20, 2013 @ 6:21pm 
https://code.google.com/p/blender-smd/downloads/detail?name=io_smd_tools-1.8.2.zip&can=2&q= grab that, and read the instructions, it shouldn't be throwing errors.

Follow them here: http://puu.sh/3HM0B.png
Last edited by gryn_; Jul 20, 2013 @ 6:21pm
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 20, 2013 @ 7:44pm 
I tried it again, still getting errors when I try to check the box. Maybe script doesn't work with 2.68?
gryn_ 12 Jul 20, 2013 @ 7:45pm 
Mmm, pretty sure it does. You must be doing something wrong
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 20, 2013 @ 7:57pm 
Video of the error:
http://youtu.be/fDeGOaQDJ10
Yes, I am this desperate. ;_;
gryn_ 12 Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
My god man, why are you still on windows XP? It's not even supported by Microsoft anymore.. which means no security updates and what not :x

I just tried installing the script myself, and didn't have any errors thrown :-x
Last edited by gryn_; Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:06pm
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:19pm 
I bet all of the problems I'm having are because of XP... m-master r-race.
I've had this desktop for almost 5 years now, getting a new one in a few months, hopefully. I'll just have to wait till then I guess. Been trying for a week, too many hours easch day. This really bums me out.
gryn_ 12 Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:20pm 
Dont let it stop you from modeling, import when you get your new system and finalize it all :)
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:28pm 
Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely do that!
Papa Kilo 1 Jul 21, 2013 @ 6:25pm 
The Blender Mod worked with Ver 2.67 and I even used 3DS Max skin to bip_head bone modifier to make sure. But when I export as SMD then import it back, the polys get really messed up and I still can't upload the .mdl in TF2. The in-game itemtest seems very buggy, not sure where the problem lies now.
gryn_ 12 Jul 21, 2013 @ 7:02pm 
What do you mean? The in-game importer isn't buggy at all. The only way to get the '.mdl' as you put it is to create the appropriate amount of LODs and, create a backpack icon and verify the files, then when the verification passes, you hit finish and it'll compile/zip the item files.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 18, 2013 @ 1:50pm