Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Advance to the Steam Age
Explore new maps, multiplayer scenarios, and user created campaigns. Or reinvent your game experience with new sounds, visuals, AI, units, and more! Ready to share your creations with the world? Upload right from the map editor, or collaborate with friends to create a masterpiece collection.
IIPEE Jul 4, 2013 @ 8:27am
The Four Friends [Co-Op RPG]
Hello and Welcome to my 'The Four Friends' Announcement thread!

- Introduction -

Little bit trivia about me:
I go by the name of Iipee. Some of you might have seen me on these boards already.

I am moderator at Frictional Games' forum, an indie game development team behind the horror cult classics Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra series. I also run my own website, which will include gaming videos in the future.

I've been fan of Age of Empires (mostly II) since the '97-'98.
As a child, I always wanted to create epic maps. However, I always thought the Trigger section was broken since I didn't understand the concept of how to use it.

One of my maps that I remember doing, was about a soldier inside a very narrow walking space, who went from place a) to place b) and killing enemy units along the way, much like RPG.
However, I never got to make it any wider since I didn't know how to use Triggers.
Now that Age of Empires II: HD Edition was released on Steam, I pre-ordered it without hesitation...

Few months after the release and over 500 hours of gameplay and map design, I am proud to say that I've learned lots about Triggering (thanks to guide I found online and lots of threads within these boards).
I've made few maps, and one of those maps was an idea about co-op RPG with 4 human players...

- Other RPGs -

After trying out few RPGs by other people, I quickly noticed that all of those that I tried only used a single hero unit, which was preset at start with no possibility to choose another.

These also used almost no story, or very minimal dialogues at most with somewhat weird upgrade systems, that I felt were not the best that designer was capable of doing.
I thought that I could do better, gameplay-wise.

I may not be the best map designer, but I started to work on a concept that would combine single-player into multiplayer and make an ultimate RPG experience with different classes, upgradable characters, choosable quests, cut-scenes and more.

Past few weeks, I've been working daily on my first RPG scenario...

- The Four Friends -

I had an idea about nameless (playable) characters with unrelated stories, characters (NPC) and civilizations in every new scenario. This allows me the possibility to change concepts and create richer and more interesting maps from scenario to another and making them more fun to play while the whole core gameplay remains the same, every time.

My very first RPG scenario will include a story about four henchmen of King Charles, who's horses have been stolen by his trusted man named Jean.
Jean has allied himself with Bandit Leader who is behind all of the raiding in the lands of King Charles and his cousin Louis.

- Gameplay Concept -

Now you all probably want to know how the scenario works... It's actually very simple.

You start off with a Villager and soon after the game starts, you get the ability to choose your preferred class. These are: 'Militia', 'Spearman', 'Archer', 'Skirmisher' and 'Monk'.

During the game, you will receive gold by killing enemy units and by doing quests. You can upgrade your character whenever you come across Blacksmith, as long as you have enough gold.

Upgrading your character happens just like in a regular game (i.e. Archer -> Crossbowman, etc.), excluding HP, Attack and horse upgrade.

Horse upgrade? Yes. During the game, you have a possibility to buy a horse to upgrade any of the selected classes to a mounted unit and therefore even further develop your character.

Past few weeks I've had so many new concepts and ideas that I want to make in the future maps. These will make them even better than the one I am now working on, while core gameplay remains the same! I won't go into details about those yet, since I want to focus on the current scenario.

I really hope this thread has given you an appetite towards 'The Four Friends' series!

Release: Coming soon ...
Screens: Coming soon ...
Last edited by IIPEE; Jan 19, 2014 @ 2:41pm
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
CiviL Jul 4, 2013 @ 5:24pm 
This looks amazing.
-Dare Devil/x/ Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:04am 
-Cool and welcome. I haven't really been hardcore into custom work such as this, but am willing to try it out. So, I guess what I'm saying is, this looks like a valid project to pop my..balloon. =P
IIPEE Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:07pm 
Sorry for a lack of information during the past few months!

To dissapoint some, I have scrapped the current 'The Four Friends: Jean the Traitor' scenario due to the fact that I've learned so, SO much new stuff during the making of it. Past few hundred hours that I worked on the map have given me so much new information on how to properly and more effectively use the built-in Triggers and how to make scenario better and add more replay value to it.

'Jean the Traitor' was my very first RPG map that I made.
I had no knowledge on how to actually make RPG scenario, but I was still able to pull it off and actually say that I was proud of it - untill now...

I didn't touch the editor at all for about a month and after getting back to it, I noticed how messed up the Trigger section was. Plus on top of that, I had so many new ideas that I tried to implement into it, that I thought that it is actually easier for me to start from scratch and add all the new features that I want.

Most important feature that I'll be adding to new scenario is 'Randomizer'.
What it does? It makes random stuff happen to increase replay value.
For instance, there may be separate paths with new NPC's and side quests and/or enemies, but whenever you replay the scenario, other roads might be open while the others are filled with forest or other obstacles to reroute you to the new path for different experience. These are just few examples that I'll be using...

Other features that were either done or half-done to previous scenario were difficulty setting, AI boot to kick 'AI Friends' and a Bank to tribute gold to your teammates.

I'm not sure how long it will take for me to create the new scenario, but I'd say were talking about months here... However, I'll promise that it will be worth the wait!
Last edited by IIPEE; Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:09pm
JackChan 15 Oct 15, 2013 @ 10:37pm 
i like RPGs, support you :)
Master Exploder 2 Oct 16, 2013 @ 9:16am 
Warriors Odyssy(sp?) 2
Best AoC RPG ever made, look it up on aok heavengames
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jul 4, 2013 @ 8:27am