Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Advance to the Steam Age
Explore new maps, multiplayer scenarios, and user created campaigns. Or reinvent your game experience with new sounds, visuals, AI, units, and more! Ready to share your creations with the world? Upload right from the map editor, or collaborate with friends to create a masterpiece collection.
junqueiralex Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:42pm
problem adding and removing mods
Can anyone here explain to me step by step how do we make mods to work or not work whenever we need. The thing is I´ve subscribed to one Mod and even after I unsbscribe it the texture of the Mod I had taken out continue on my game. Where did my original texture go? How do I go back to the original texture and vice-versa? Do we allways need to reinstall the game? Thanks guys!
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
MaW_BLITZ Jun 17, 2013 @ 7:19am 
Im having the same problem, really wondering how to remove mods.

I went to the
Steam/Steamapps/common/Age2HD/mods
folder and removed the mods I wanted to remove, and unsubscribed it on Steam but it wont go back to normal.

Thanks in advance.
The Beatles Jun 28, 2013 @ 8:34am 
Same here.. I now hafe freaking ugly stone and gold skins... as well as trees... impossible to play with that
Dimik Jul 1, 2013 @ 1:14pm 
The first step to try to fix textures after unsubscribing is to verify your cache. Right click game in library>properties>local files>verify game cache. You might also want to try quiting Steam fully and restarting it after unsubscribing before you verify cache. It can get confused it seems when you try to update, delete, update, etc all in the same session.
Some things like the grass texture files get recreated when you verify cache, but things like mines are slp files which I have found seem to need to be deleted manually from the Age2HD>Data>Slp folder. The game will generate the correct slp files from a verification but it doesn't seem to overwrite modded ones yet. I found this out when I tried a mod pack but after unsubscribing still had its mines. I just deleted the files whose date modified was different from the game's original installation. However, if you have more than one mod, make sure you aren't deleting what you want to keep.
Last edited by Dimik; Jul 1, 2013 @ 1:16pm
LouiS Jul 2, 2013 @ 6:35am 
Also had this problem. To fix it, i did similiar things to Dimik.
I first unsubbed from all mods
verified cache
deleted all files from Age2/mods folder
deleted graphics.drs from Age2/Data (and like Dimik said, any files e.g Slp files that were affected, based on their date modified.
I then subbed to the mods that i wanted, had them redownloaded and then verified cache.

It all takes a bit of playing around, nothing can go too wrong
The Beatles Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:41pm 
Did that all but didn't solved. I could solve it though by removing all steam app contens from the directory of AGEHD after unistalling the game. Thanks for your gudiance anyway dudes. ;) good gaming!
aNii 4*4 Jul 19, 2013 @ 12:31am 
lol "fixed by uninstalling game"

i guess ill have to uninstall it too to "fix" it because this is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Ozhara 216 Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:22am 
Here some explanations for how the steam workshop seems to should be working and some tipps if it doesn't:

If you subscribe to a mod, that you haven't subscribed to before, steam immediatly downloads that mod, you can see that in your download window named as 'steam content' or such.

This generates a mod file in your mods folder, that has no extension but can be opened with winrar or 7zip.
This file contains the same folder structure as your game directory.

At game start while the first intros are playing (before the AoK-chess one starts) Steam checks your subscriptions and loads for every file that one changed by the last subscribed mod changing it.
-> So cancelling the intro after deleting files/new subscriptions can cause errors/missing mod parts as steam can't load them correctly.

Clicking the unsubscribe button only sets a flag for not taking a mod into account when determining which mod changes a specific file. Butit seems that is checked only if a file is missing, or a mod is completelly new.

Verifying your game cache deletes ALL changed game files. At a new game start all missing files are replaced with the default/modded ones.
-> ONLY changed files will be deleted, files that didn't exist before aren't deleted. So scenarios will stay. And slp files as mines too, as the default ones are implemented in the graphics.drs file. Terrains are replaced for the original ones are implemented in the terrains.drs file, and the 'new' 'HD' ones are a 'mod' themselves.
(Hidden Path changed the way terrains function, so the default game terrains don't look new, but filewise they are.)

But the mods file is NEVER deleted automatically and stays in your mods folder.
If you delete it, steam seems to have no information about it any more and therefore some problems with steam not recognizing some subscriptions/unsubscriptions can be fixed.

One last thing. I experienced 'my' steam ignored all further subscriptions after it had downloaded 30. After unsubscribing/deleting some of them, other subscriptions were taken into account correctly. For that reason I'm unsubscribing from scenarios all the time to keep my mod count beneath that number. And for scenarios are additional files I'm still able to use them all.
Last edited by Ozhara; Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:28am
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:42pm