Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
infectedfury Jun 13, 2013 @ 8:15pm
Still no maps on the workshop?
So, when can we expect a maps section for the TF2 workshop?
It has worked well for other games like CS:GO and L4D2.

Also would be nice to see a way for having custom maps in quickplay.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Chemo Jun 14, 2013 @ 1:50pm 
The TF2 workshop is for submitting Hats, Miscs, Weapons, etc that can't be downloaded, but can be accepted into the vanilla game by Valve, and creators can essentially make money off of them.

But currently the workshop doesn't support downloading maps for TF2, let alone submitting them trying to get them into the vanilla game. So for now, just download them off of TF2Maps or Gamebanana.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't have anything to say about the quickplay thing though.
Last edited by Chemo; Jun 14, 2013 @ 1:50pm
infectedfury 9 Jun 14, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
I know what the current set up for the workshop is, but I should have said "do not metntion tf2maps.net or Gamebenana" that is just a cop out. Most of my maps are already on those sites.

More people will be able to view maps that people have made if there was a section here then just on map web sites.

Valve has practically killed off custom maps with the lack of support for them. Just look at how may custom maps have been added to the game in the past two years.
Also just because maps are not currently supported dose not meat that they should never be.

As I also stated, CS:GO and L4D2 both have a maps section to their workshops.
All valve needs to do is spend a little time to copy the subscription system over from one of the other games that already has it. It could even be a whole new workshop just for maps and allowing servers to subscribe to them.

Things will never progress if we always just settle for what is there.

Rant over
Bum. Jun 14, 2013 @ 8:35pm 
I agree, map sites such as Gamebanana are all well and good, but a lot of players don't know about them, or don't want to have a look for whatever reason. A workshop section for maps could get relevant and direct community feedback to the map makers, just as modelers don't have to rely on those sites anymore.

Custom TF2 maps are great, and there is no harm or obligation in adding a workshop section. It would definitely encourage some great designs.
Misery 1 Jun 22, 2013 @ 12:20am 
I completely agree, this is a great idea.
Apple Sep 4, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
This is really needed.

The mapping community is very fragmented at this moment with multiple websites and servers that handle various maps.

Multiple maps are uploaded without credit given or without the author's knowledge. It's hard to find the map you want since the sites that handle maps don't really have an amazing search system set up.

A workshop section would allow for a centralization of the mapping community as well as users being exposed to more of the maps and being able to search for maps easily.
Alias Sep 5, 2013 @ 11:19am 
Well, its still most of the time just tf2maps and gamebanana. And its not like mvm is even having it such bad, i have noticed my map being played often enough. But its still minimal since its very hard gathering a team since matchmaking for such maps isnt working. Where in normal play its common they search for servers manualy (primary reason being pinion) i see that far less often in mvm.

I definitely would like a map workshop.
vilepickle Sep 22, 2013 @ 8:47pm 
In retrospect, I stopped mapping for this game for two reasons:

1. Time it takes vs the number of people that might get to play/enjoy what you create.
2. No map workshop or any visible plans to support custom mappers like they do for their other games.

I love creating virtual worlds for TF, but when you know nobody's going to play or try what you make it's demotivating.

Third party sites are not visible enough to support a large custom map community. There just aren't enough players that care when it's not built in like they have with CS:GO. Why did CS:GO get the map love?
infectedfury 9 Sep 22, 2013 @ 9:00pm 
^ That is one of the main reasons that I stopped mapping for some time.

Something else I would like to see is a filter in quickplay to allow for custom maps.
User Oct 9, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
Hopefully soon.
infectedfury 9 Feb 24 @ 4:31am 
Still no word on custom maps for the workshop
infectedfury 9 May 3 @ 4:00am 
maps section plz....
infectedfury 9 Aug 12 @ 3:36am 
so more then a year since I made this topic. And still no maps section.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 13, 2013 @ 8:15pm