Steam Greenlight
Maxxedout Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:51pm
Mac Games
Would be great to try and introduce some more games for Mac on Steam, there is currently very little. Anyone else agree?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
C0untzer0 Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:56pm 
hahaha
MrBlue Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:03pm 
i agree, but there arent many mac games in total
C0untzer0 Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:08pm 
It's the whole "Localisation" thing again
Given the low budget of most indie devs, they're likely to only make a version for one or two platforms...
Given the size of the markets, they're likely to start with Win PC or Xbox...
Given that a lot of coders use UNIX, that is likely to come next...
After that, Android gives much freer access to marketplace...
Macs get the leftovers.
Pathborn Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:48pm 
i'd say iphone is much more lucrative than xbox for indie games (since xbox indie games have to use that terrible xblig service, unless they get lucky enough to get a publisher for xbla) -- if you were to release your game on only two platforms, they should be windows and iphone. mac is probably a distant fourth, behind those two, android, and blackberry...

still, i'd like to see more mac games too. my desktop is windows and my laptop is a mac, so i'd like to have more games that i could play on my laptop. that's why i'm currently porting my previous game to mac -- not because i think it'd make much money on that platform, but simply because it'd be nice to have it on there for some people.
Last edited by Pathborn; Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:51pm
C0untzer0 Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:23pm 
iPhone is more lucrative maybe, but I've seen a lot more indie devs go the pc and xbox route, possibly just a smoother port.
Also, if I want a game for a mobile device, I want tilty touchy functions or I'll play it on one of my consoles or computers.
Besides, I just don't like iPhones
It's Fauna! Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:56pm 
Everything is more lucrative than the Xbox now. The Xbox hasn't been a properly lucrative indie market for years now.
MELTDOWN Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:52pm 
You should be seeing a lot more Mac games in the future. For many indie devs, the App Store/iOS is the moneymaker platform, and so if they build for iOS, they can easily build for Mac. Many of the indie devs, such as ourselves, use Unity, which lets you publish to iOS.

Our game on Greenlight, Monster Truck Racing Arenas, will be released on Mac once the PC version has been released.
Last edited by MELTDOWN; Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:48am
Maxxedout Dec 1, 2012 @ 7:23am 
interesting reactions, also, does anyone know why old Mac games never seem to depreciate in value. I looked on the website and AofE 3 is still over £30, another barrier to Mac gaming. The main reason why I turned to Steam
C0untzer0 Dec 1, 2012 @ 7:39am 
It's a mac product, don't expect reasonable prices
Or perhaps there are so few that they don't have competition to keep the price down.
Skoardy Dec 1, 2012 @ 9:57am 
Very much the starved-for-attention-you'll-get-what-you're-given-and-like-it mentality from the publishers. Funnily enough, you'd think indie devs would cotton on to the fact that it's prime frontier territory for their games and swoop in to fill the void.
HAIL THE MAC ARMY MAC WILL SEE THE LIGHT OF GAMING SOME DAY
AusSkiller Dec 2, 2012 @ 9:25pm 
Originally posted by Kira:
HAIL THE MAC ARMY MAC WILL SEE THE LIGHT OF GAMING SOME DAY
Perhaps, but until apple fix their crappy OpenGL drivers and poor performance expect that it'll continue to play 2nd fiddle to PC. At half the price and twice the framerate PC will continue to attract more gamers than Mac.
C0untzer0 Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:07am 
What Apple don't have is time. their share price peaked 6 months ago, and for a company as over valued as that, they need to stop the rot before it's too late. It may take 5 or 10 years, but Unix could well overtake, or some new player in the field.
Either way, it's going to mean fewer games on mac.
Blackmagick009 Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:01am 
Boot Camp. Apple is going downhill. But OSX is still alive and well, with Boot Camp I can run TF2 and L4D2 games with no lag and fast loading time. These games are available for mac but are stronger with windows software. It just shows how much Apple is falling behind.
Jack Nash Dec 7, 2012 @ 1:31am 
From what I understand, there's a strong indication that OSX will be very viable as a gaming platform in the future.

Apple has grabbed/created a chunk of the market with iOS, and have been pushing for 6 month product cycles, which means they are very rapidly increasing the efficiency of their hardware. I assume they have already had the foresight to get ahead of the race. They are putting a lot of pressure on the console market, with the iPad almost becoming more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox360 already. No wonder the next-gen consoles are trying to push to release next year.

I mean, look at the new Macs that are out now. They might not have the best specs you can get, but enough publishers are starting to see the potential, with games like Borderlands 2 being ported only a few months after release. I doubt hardware is an issue here. It's the accessibility. From my point of view, Apple has only become more relevant over the years (same with Linux). A lot of games continue to be made for Windows because most gamers still come from a time when Apple didn't have much of a consumer audience for games, but now they've had a sudden increase in demand, and the rest of the industry is still adapting. I think we will start seeing games that are developed for all platforms more often.

Valve is already moving into Linux territory, with Gabe expressing his concerns about Windows 8, which is way more compatible with OSX (which is Unix-based, by the way) than it is with Windows. So I don't see how people think Apple is falling behind. There are at least twice as many games coming out on OSX than there were a 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to bash on Windows users (albeit a tad frustrating how misinformed they usually are). I just think it shouldn't have to matter what operating system you use anymore.
Last edited by Jack Nash; Dec 8, 2012 @ 12:01pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:51pm