Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
FutureGameDev Nov 22, 2012 @ 7:58am
Suggestion: Quick Rate Buttons
Much in the same way you can hover over a workshop item and subscribe to it (Portal 2) in Steam Greenlight you should have "Quick Rate" buttons that will appear when you hover over an item. When you hover over the item, a thumbs up and thumbs down will appear, and you can rate the title without having to click on it.

Is this a good idea, or not? Leave a comment below.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Nov 22, 2012 @ 8:10am 
This is a TERRIBLE idea
What you want is the opportunity to judge somebody's work WITHOUT EVER SEEING IT!
Really, that's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. IF YOU CAN'T BE ARSED TO LOOK AT IT, DON'T ASSUME YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO JUDGE!
CrimsonBelvedereDS Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:21am 
lol supreme laziness at it's peak. Don't judge a game by it's cove... oh wait hahaha, that's exactly what you want. Nope, do not want. Go away.
FutureGameDev Nov 22, 2012 @ 11:49am 
I thought it would be a helpful thing, considering the search filters still add things you know you would never play.
AusSkiller Nov 22, 2012 @ 3:21pm 
Originally posted by Supreme Gamer:
I thought it would be a helpful thing, considering the search filters still add things you know you would never play.
I find it foolish to filter out any genres I don't like, no matter how much I typically hate games of certain genres there's always a few exceptions that I enjoy a lot. The filters may be good when you first start voting so you can find games you are more likely to enjoy but once you vote through them you should really turn them off and see if you can find a few gems amongst the rest because you wont know you wont enjoy playing something unless you actually take a good look at it.
Skoardy Nov 23, 2012 @ 2:54pm 
Yeah, it ranks up there with the top bad ideas.
Nyaamos Nov 24, 2012 @ 5:51am 
This idea is really really bad because some greenlight games have bad covers in my opinion but if u see the game itself its actually a good game.
FutureGameDev Nov 24, 2012 @ 1:56pm 
(maybe this wasn't such a good idea...)
DiamondCaliber Nov 24, 2012 @ 3:03pm 
Yeah, its not such a good idea, but i'm glad your trying to make greenlight easier to use! oh and c0unterzer, you don't have to be such an jerk.
Last edited by DiamondCaliber; Nov 24, 2012 @ 3:03pm
C0untzer0 Nov 24, 2012 @ 3:47pm 
Hey, mildly, if your teachers had been more of a jerk you could have learnt how to spell, or maybe even punctuate.
irrevenant Nov 24, 2012 @ 8:20pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
This is a TERRIBLE idea
What you want is the opportunity to judge somebody's work WITHOUT EVER SEEING IT!
Really, that's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. IF YOU CAN'T BE ARSED TO LOOK AT IT, DON'T ASSUME YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO JUDGE!
This is only half-true. Remember that a downvote is not a 'Don't put this on Steam' it's an 'I personally would not buy this'. Ticking it doesn't count against the game, it just removes it from my queue.

There are a few genres I just don't want to buy. Modern military shooter? I don't care how good it is, I'm just not interested. Ditto MMORPGs, side-scrolling shooters and a few other types of game.

I would personally find it kind of useful to be able to quickly strip these sorts of games from my queue. I don't need to look at the page to know I'm not going to buy it.

P.S. Yes, I know you can filter by genre but generally that's too coarse - a quick mouseover of the game gives you much more information. Enough in some cases to say "I don't want that".
Last edited by irrevenant; Nov 24, 2012 @ 8:52pm
Skoardy Nov 25, 2012 @ 5:10am 
I guess it really all boils down to whether you wish to punish devs for over-generalising their genre assignments or having a slightly different definition of their game than you.
FutureGameDev Nov 25, 2012 @ 11:55am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
I guess it really all boils down to whether you wish to punish devs for over-generalising their genre assignments or having a slightly different definition of their game than you.
That is less of an issue than the fact that no matter which filters you put into your queue, Steam is very unintelligent about making a perfect sort. You still get games from those genres.
Sgt.Psycho Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:24pm 
If you really really want to do this (and I must put my hand up in shame at this point). Filter by X, downvote all. It will take you very little time to work through the queue.

That said, I did actually find one or two games in the hated genre I would actually buy.
Skoardy Nov 26, 2012 @ 8:46am 
Originally posted by Supreme Gamer:
Originally posted by Skoardy:
That is less of an issue than the fact that no matter which filters you put into your queue, Steam is very unintelligent about making a perfect sort. You still get games from those genres.
Got nothing to do with Steam - they can only work with the data they've been given. Like I said, over-generalising and differing definitions.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:34pm 
I like this feature, at least it'll make it way easier and efficient to downvote all the f2p, map sim, and pure mp based games.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 22, 2012 @ 7:58am