Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
(ZuWh) shreddedbullet Nov 21, 2012 @ 12:59pm
The Concepts Section doesn't get much attention.
I kind of wonder why the concept section doesn't get much attention as opposed to the main games part. One part is common sense, the Games obviously gets more views than the Concepts, but the Concepts section doesn't kind of catch anyone's attention?

Is it because that is where all of the people with their spam fake games post their games?

But what about real developers who need feedback from potential customers?

I have a game in the concepts section, and I need feeback from users, but I have barely gotten anything.

This is kind of troubling because my game needs community feedback, and it is even on the front page.

Any thoughts?
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Erinduck Nov 21, 2012 @ 1:22pm 
The concepts section is a lot like the first few hours of Greenlight but with less fake submissions. Many of the concepts are absolutely AWFUL even in concept, ranging from things like MSPaint doodles of title screens to UDK test levels. There's absolutely no quality control and that does the entire thing a disservice. There are some gems, for certain, but there are a lot of really awful submissions.
C0untzer0 Nov 21, 2012 @ 1:53pm 
I have a feeling you should be grateful that more people haven't commented on your concept. Most people don't have anything nice to say about generic zombie shooters.
jeslyck Nov 21, 2012 @ 2:57pm 

But can only say the same as Erinduck there are not many who bother to look at 10 awful submissions just to find one that's ok.
(ZuWh) shreddedbullet Nov 21, 2012 @ 4:01pm 
Well, that's why I want ideas from the community for my game, so I put in it what the community wants.

And yeah to the first post, there are a lot of bad submissions on the concepts section.
Resolute Nov 21, 2012 @ 11:54pm 
Concept section doesn't get the attention because its mostly full of utter crap and you can't just down vote concepts and never have to see them again.
Skoardy Nov 22, 2012 @ 3:37am 
Just like regular Greenlight, you've got to produce something special to bring attention to your game and stand out from the crowd.

If your concept looks like a generic top-down shooter with very, very basic graphics, you're unlikely to spark any interest. Promising that things will improve doesn't really help if the core game mechanics/premise are trite and uninspiring.

The Concepts section is pretty much the definition of judging a book by it's cover. There are some thing people just aren't going to give a second glance.
C0untzer0 Nov 22, 2012 @ 3:41am 
I'm also wary of people looking for "More ideas" when they haven't put a lot in, It's kinda like you've given up, and are now asking me to do your work for you.
That's what friends, colleagues, and playtesting's for.
Erinduck Nov 22, 2012 @ 6:30am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
I'm also wary of people looking for "More ideas" when they haven't put a lot in, It's kinda like you've given up, and are now asking me to do your work for you.

I don't think you understand the concept of a... uh... concept.
Oakreef Nov 22, 2012 @ 6:36am 
I'm still working my way through the mountain of games. After that I may look at concepts. I may not. I don't like most of what I see on the main section of greenlight and the concept section leaves out the main form of quality control; the submission fee.
C0untzer0 Nov 22, 2012 @ 7:34am 
Originally posted by Erinduck:

No, a concept should be somewhat less vague than the usual submission in the "Concepts" section, it's really not enough to say "I've got RPG maker and a character name, but nothing else" or similar. A concept should have actual ideas and thoughts of the guy putting it in. It shouldn't be a way of fishing for ideas. Half of these concepts are hardly wothy of the name, and padding it out with crowd-sourced ideas is the best way to dilute any form of originality that you have.

CrimsonBelvedereDS Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:30am 
Honestly, I hate the concept section. It has been 95% disappointment, and the few good concepts are pretty ambitious, and doubts and concerns of whether or not they'll be able to achieve what they set out is soaking in.
(ZuWh) shreddedbullet Nov 22, 2012 @ 11:17am 
Originally posted by Erinduck:

No, a concept should be somewhat less vague than the usual submission in the "Concepts" section, it's really not enough to say "I've got RPG maker and a character name, but nothing else" or similar. A concept should have actual ideas and thoughts of the guy putting it in. It shouldn't be a way of fishing for ideas. Half of these concepts are hardly wothy of the name, and padding it out with crowd-sourced ideas is the best way to dilute any form of originality that you have.

You have to realize that if I put in an idea that I like but on one else likes that could hurt my game.

Community involvement with the development of the game will be more likely to have things in it that people actually want.

Trust me, there are plenty of original ideas I am going to be putting in to the game.

But it doesn't hurt to get fans excited about a game.
Skoardy Nov 23, 2012 @ 2:48pm 
If your plan is pandering, I don't think you're going to produce a good game.
jeslyck Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:40am 
HA reportedet over 50 troll, dream, no concept submisions
Skoardy Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:03am 
Originally posted by CrimsonBelvedereDS:
Feedback from user? HA, the submissions where I actually waste my time commenting, comments were deleted by the author.
Seeing this a lot. Seems like they're not after feedback, just fawning. If you're not there to tell them how brightly the sun shines from their backside, they're not interested.

But yeah, no fee = Concept section is a joke.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 21, 2012 @ 12:59pm