Steam Greenlight
Let people vote on "Request A Game," like GOG.
So, when Greenlight started out, a lot of people thought it was a service to request games you wanted on Steam. Soon there was a "Request a Game" sub-forum to cater to those demands. Thing is, I think it's a safe bet nothing is going to come out of that forum, and that it was only set up to keep the requests out of the main board.

As irritating as all the request threads were at first, though, the idea of letting people request the games they want isn't a bad idea. It just needs more organization. On GOG there's a section where users can vote on what games they want added, similar to Greenlight. I don't see why Valve couldn't implement something similar for Steam.

While there's obviously no guarantee anything would come out of such a system (especially since, in the end, it'd be up to the developer of the game in question), it'd give Valve a decent idea of what titles they're missing that there's a demand for, as well as letting the game's developers know there's a market that sees that game worth re-releasing.
< >
Εμφάνιση 1-15 από 17 σχόλια
NO. No. no. Nah. no. No. No. No no no no no no no.

No.

No.

What will happen is Minecraft will go on top, never be cleared, Battlefield 3 under that, also never to be cleared, and then any other EA title, or console title. THEN any title restricted to GOG for the foreseeable future, THEN there will be actual suggestions.

Steam Greenlight was never for these games, and it never was intended to be that way. Its intended for Indie or Single A developers who got burned on the old submission process, to try again, but ask the community to help. Asking people to rate possible games in a Greenlight format, with set titles submitted by legit people is the way to go. Having 12 people submit 12 different Minecraft requests isn't.

Also: no.
Actually, I am not sure if the slippry slope logic would actually happen. I mean GOG is doing a good job at fending off the trolls. : ) I am only seeing a couple unreasonable requests on GOG(Chrono Trigger being the most unreasonable). My point is that saying NOOOO THINK OF THE TROLLS is not fully fleshed arguement.

I do have to say however, that it is true that Greenlight was never intended to be like GOG. So, the system that GOG uses would work differently on Greenlight. Personally, I do not think that a GOG request system would work well Greenlight.(Of course, this opininon is without data) On Greenlight.....

Now, if Steam offers a service that has a more closed ended voting system for older games, that would be interesting... Basically Steam, offers 50 or so games to be sold and the community picks one a month or something. Of course, the mission statement for this service would be a little different than Greenlight. I don't know.

Keep in mind however, I really do like GOG. I feel that two companies doing their own thing is more than acceptable to me. It might not be nessary for Steam to create a Request a Game service when GOG is already does this.

But yes, I definately argee that some organization is in order!
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από Yuga-Suggah; 12 Νοε 2012, 20:12
If more people knew about gog, half the requests would be gone.
The other half would largely be "I don't want to set up an account elsewhere" or asking for games which don't exist on the PC, or won't work with modern systems.
So by that logic(make no mistake, I argee with you), just point that half of the requests to GOG. Fair enough, however I am waiting for somebody to come up with a solid arguement as to why a specific game older PC game should be on Steam.
If you check my history, I (and others) have been doing just that. Every once in a while one of them actually says thank you.
Αναρτήθηκε αρχικά από MisterFour:
My point is that saying NOOOO THINK OF THE TROLLS is not fully fleshed arguement.
I don't think 'PurpleMoustache's point was in regards to trolls at all, just a prediction of how the system (if even used apparently correctly by the people who typically request games) would become essentially mired down and pointless. There was no mention of people trolling to get Minecraft to the top.
Again, though, it is a prediction with not much to go on. There is not data to suggest how the people would react to it. We have no idea exactly what would happen. Could it be a flood of blind requests or will it be civil? It is why I said that a slippery slope arguement does not work because we have no idea what would happen. For all we know, implamenting this idea would be even worse then our preditions. My point was that saying its a bad idea because people would vote for not actual games is not completely sound. I just said trolls because I was responding to the actual submissions comment.

I did say however.....
"...that it is true that Greenlight was never intended to be like GOG. So, the system that GOG uses would work differently on Greenlight..." Agreeing with the arguement that Greenlight was not designed for a GOG system. While it is a tautological arguement, the community of Steam is different, definately the size of population is different, the style is different, the mission statement is different.... The point is that the socal envirnoment is completely different. Simply putting a GOG system on Greenlight would probably not produce the same results as a GOG.

If Valve ever did want to do something simular(vote for old games on Steam), they would have to keep these differences in mind because of the differences of Steam and the expecations and trends of the internal community. I would argue that the voting system would be on a seperate service from Greenlight if Valve wants to expand upon the Request A Game.

Of course, there are a couple people out there who do know how to write good letters and know how to get a petition rolling...
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από Yuga-Suggah; 13 Νοε 2012, 12:07
In regards as what the prediction is based on, I would imagine that it's based on reading the Discussion forum since Greenlight started. For example, the Minecraft request thread is currently 100 pages strong and outstripping the other threads in the subforum by a large margin. I'd say predicting that as being the number one go-nowhere suggestion if such a system was in place seems like a fairly safe bet.

It is why I said that a slippery slope arguement does not work because we have no idea what would happen.
I'm not sure why you keep referring to this as a 'slippery slope' arguement as surely that speaks of a situation that first X happens and extrapolates that inevitably it gets worse from there. As far as I can tell, 'PurpleMoustache' was saying this would pretty much be a day one situation. There's no slippery slope because it'd be rendered pointless right from the start and couldn't really get any worse.

My point was that saying its a bad idea because people would vote for not actual games is not completely sound.
But 'PurpleMoustache' was talking about actual games. Just not ones that had little-to-no chance at all of coming on Steam.

Still unclear what people think the endgame of this voting system would be. Are people just seeing it as a lazy alternative to contact devs themselves, that Valve would be obliged to reach out? "If we had a voting system, we wouldn't need to put in any effort to get the games we want at all!" sort of thing?
Αναρτήθηκε αρχικά από Skoardy:
Still unclear what people think the endgame of this voting system would be. Are people just seeing it as a lazy alternative to contact devs themselves, that Valve would be obliged to reach out? "If we had a voting system, we wouldn't need to put in any effort to get the games we want at all!" sort of thing?

I don't see it as forcing Valve to reach the devs, but rather making it easier for the devs to listen. A big-name game company probably won't listen to one person making a request. 10,000 people in one place making a request, however, is different.

Also, if Valve/the game's developer deems the game unfit for Steam, maybe it could be flagged incompatible. I know it happened with a lot of TF2 Workshop items that couldn't work.
There is no need for this feature. Valve doesn't need to ask developers to release their game on Steam when there's already 900+ submissions on Greenlight now. That's also not including games that are exempt from the Greenlight process (i.e., games that have a publisher backing them).

I just went to the GoG.com page to look at the all-time most-voted list of requested games. A vast majority have zero chance of ever getting on GoG.com. Look at how many Blizzard, EA, and Microsoft games are on that list. Why are they even there? Do you really think any of those companies are going to release any of their games with no DRM, even if they are 10 years old? The day Blizzard lets fans unlink Diablo or Starcraft from Battle.net is the day that Microsoft announces that Windows is going open-source and can be downloaded for free from their website.
Also, have you seen the multiplr threads requesting the same thing? It's fairly obvious that the system is full of morons, but still just about picks a winner
Αναρτήθηκε αρχικά από Hi! I'm Hugh Bliss!:
I don't see it as forcing Valve to reach the devs, but rather making it easier for the devs to listen. A big-name game company probably won't listen to one person making a request. 10,000 people in one place making a request, however, is different.
So it's reliant on a dev checking Greenlight and seeing that their game has X many votes? How would this differ from, say, starting a request thread with a link to a popular petition site and getting your '10,000 people' in one place there? Personally, that seems like a much better idea as then it's less a popularity contest.
Or just rally 10,000 people into directly emailing said dev, which would be FAR more effective than any voting system.
unless they take it as a crude ddoss on their mail server.
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από C0untzer0; 14 Νοε 2012, 9:58
Look I just want System Shock 2 available on Steam, I don't care if it's priced at $60. This gog site doesn't have it either, it's like the game's the missing LarRue or something. I also don't see how it could be detrimental to how steam operates. It doesn't have to be used as something for which Valve would have to just blindly agree to every single desired game from polls. It doesn't have to be included inside Greenlight, I'd rather have that just be what it was intended for at the start. Having Valve able to see what the public wants only aids them understand the consumers demand for product, whether they act on it is entirely their prerogative.
< >
Εμφάνιση 1-15 από 17 σχόλια
Ανά σελίδα: 1530 50

Ημ/νία ανάρτησης: 12 Νοε 2012, 18:56
Αναρτήσεις: 17