Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Chromie Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:03pm
Allow greenlight submissions to only pick one or two genres.
I'm annoyed at how many greenlight games there are that just don't fit into the a queue I've generated. I wanted to look at some possible Strategy games and ♥♥♥♥ like this appears. How is this a strategy game? It's just a Puzzle Bobble ripoff.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92925207

How is this an RPG, strategy, simulation, horror, shooter and action game? It doesn't look like I'll be roleplaying a character or leveling up and LARPing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104660511&searchtext=
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
RPGCreations Nov 23, 2012 @ 8:55am 
i agree with this suggestion and suggested similar earlier. i hate looking for rpgs and getting a game with "rpg elements" like a skill tree when it's not in any way a rpg other than having a skill tree.
jeslyck Nov 23, 2012 @ 9:38am 
I agree to
apsyse Nov 23, 2012 @ 12:57pm 
I get the feeling almost all games would be "Action Adventure" then.

@RPGCreations
Out of curiosity what do you look for in a game labeled as RPG? My game has skills, talents, inventory, and equipment and is labeled as RPG. Would this bother you?
Chromie Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:19pm 
Originally posted by apsyse:

@RPGCreations
Out of curiosity what do you look for in a game labeled as RPG? My game has skills, talents, inventory, and equipment and is labeled as RPG. Would this bother you?

It wouldn't bother me. I split rpgs in to two groups. Where roleplay is handled through dialogue and choice & consequences like Witcher 2, Fallout 2 or Alpha Protocol. While the other is have our character grow how we want like in most jrpgs but a game like Starforge? Really how is that an RPG?
C0untzer0 Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:47pm 

@RPGCreations
I'd have to say it isn't really an RPG, on the basis that you play as the squad, rather than as a single person. I love that kind of game, but I don't really get as deeply into the characters. Good luck with it, I'll definitely have a crack.
Skoardy Nov 23, 2012 @ 3:17pm 
LARPing? Does this mean something else now that somehow fits with this discussion?

But regarding the topic - just like everyone on the thread has their own definition of genres, as strict or loose as they like, so do devs. How would you police this and how would anybody know what features a dev has planned? Shouting "This hasn't enough strategy in it to qualify for my personal narrow definition of a Strategy Game!" isn't going to get you anywhere, basically.
apsyse Nov 23, 2012 @ 4:12pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:

@RPGCreations
I'd have to say it isn't really an RPG, on the basis that you play as the squad, rather than as a single person. I love that kind of game, but I don't really get as deeply into the characters. Good luck with it, I'll definitely have a crack.
That's... an interesting perspective. Aren't you ruling out a lot of classic RPG type games by saying if you control a group of characters it's not an RPG?
Chromie Nov 23, 2012 @ 4:54pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:

@RPGCreations
That's... an interesting perspective. Aren't you ruling out a lot of classic RPG type games by saying if you control a group of characters it's not an RPG?

Pretty much an rpg from the 90's or the Infinity Engine games really.
C0untzer0 Nov 24, 2012 @ 1:21am 
As an example "Baldur's Gate" you play one major character all the way, and the supporting group come and go. So you always play as the main protagonist, with Minsc and Imoen etc as supporting roles that aren't really you. The same applies to Final Fantasy. Maybe it's just all the time I spent playing RPGs with dice and paper, but I still feel that the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Deus Ex were more like playing a role than something with similar elements, such as Jagged Alliance, where your avatar becomes just another one of many.
Kristoffer Nov 24, 2012 @ 1:32am 
I agree that it should be limited, not to 2, but at the very least 4 or 5.
RPGCreations Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:53pm 

@RPGCreations

i wouldn't call it a rpg unless it also has experience points/levels, character classes, towns to explore where you talk to npcs, and turn based combat (at least two out of those four).
Last edited by RPGCreations; Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:54pm
South Spartan Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:29pm 
I like your idea
Chromie Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:29pm 
Originally posted by RPGCreations:

@RPGCreations

i wouldn't call it a rpg unless it also has experience points/levels, character classes, towns to explore where you talk to npcs, and turn based combat (at least two out of those four).

Legend of Zelda has you tyou travel to towns and talk to npcs but I'd never call that an rpg.
RPGCreations Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:36pm 
i'd call the *second* legend of zelda a RPG (zelda 2, on the NES) but not the others. the reason being that that one had experience points and levels, which was also one of the other things i mentioned as being essential. just having one feature of rpgs doesn't make a game a rpg, that's why most of the zelda games aren't rpgs.
Gafgar Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:17pm 
This would easily be helped by adding the option to filter out games of genres you don’t want just like you filter for the ones you want. If a game have every genre and someone filter out just one genre, that game will no longer show up on the results. With other word; it will be bad to add a genre that does not fit the game, because that can ends up filtering it out. As things are right now however, there is no penalty to add all genres.

I think adding a hard limit on how many genres you can choose is a bad thing something that can be limited through other means.
Last edited by Gafgar; Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:19pm
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:03pm