Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
[Xfire] WonderGamer Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:49am
Spam control in Concepts
There really needs to be some kind of spam control in Concepts as some of the crap that gets posted in there is obvious nonsense. There's already a restriction in place that you need a paid game on your account to vote on Greenlight options; you could use that same restriction. Furthermore, any accounts that have had content removed from Concepts in the past wouldn't not be able to submit anything else to Concepts in the future. This is just a suggestion I would like to see happen, but Steam can use whatever measures they deem appropriate.
Last edited by [Xfire] WonderGamer; Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:50am
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
CrimsonBelvedereDS Nov 10, 2012 @ 7:59am 
Lol, I reported all the obvious troll submission like 2 weeks ago and they're all still there except for that Osama blowing up the twin towers one. Seriously, what the heck are the moderators doing?
C0untzer0 Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:18am 
I think they just have trouble telling between some of the genuine (but pitiful) "Concepts" and the trolls. TBH some of the trolls appear to have put in more work...
CrimsonBelvedereDS Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:52am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
TBH some of the trolls appear to have put in more work...
Sad but true :(
Still not sure if that game "Get to the end" is a troll that put in serious work, a serious troll.
AusSkiller Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:00am 
What really frustrates me about the concepts section is that so many concepts violate copyright and IP laws, there are games that share the name of other games (even ones already on Steam), use IPs they don't have the rights to, use art assets ripped directly from other games and some that are obviously just a re-badged older game that is clearly not owned by the poster :(.

What the hell are these people thinking? Do they really think Valve will open themselves up to litigation by selling these games or are they really just that stupid and ignorant that they don't even realize that what they are doing is wrong?
Last edited by AusSkiller; Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:01am
wilco64256 Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:16pm 
Originally posted by ;864951022546110215:
What really frustrates me about the concepts section is that so many concepts violate copyright and IP laws, there are games that share the name of other games (even ones already on Steam), use IPs they don't have the rights to, use art assets ripped directly from other games and some that are obviously just a re-badged older game that is clearly not owned by the poster :(.

What the hell are these people thinking? Do they really think Valve will open themselves up to litigation by selling these games or are they really just that stupid and ignorant that they don't even realize that what they are doing is wrong?

Really it doesn't matter a whole lot because you can never go straight from Concepts to the Store. You have to re-submit your project and pay your $100 fee before you can 'graduate' from Concepts so it's not like there's any real risk of that type of stuff getting past Valve and onto the store.

That said, I do generally agree that there's a good chunk of stuff in there that ought to be removed.
C0untzer0 Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:17pm 
Hanlon's razor suggsts that thay really are that stupid (to be fair I had to re-sit my copyright law module back in the day, but not on stuff that obvious)
[Xfire] WonderGamer Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by CrimsonBelvedereDS:
Lol, I reported all the obvious troll submission like 2 weeks ago and they're all still there except for that Osama blowing up the twin towers one. Seriously, what the heck are the moderators doing?
I remember that one. I reported it also. Something to the effect that it wasn't even a game, just photoshopped Osama Bin Ladin pics.

Originally posted by AusSkiller:

I've seen them actually try to pass off games they didn't own in the Games section before. I'm surprised that HeroesLAND stuck around for so long. It was just a renamed copy of Heroes of Might & Magic 3.
Last edited by [Xfire] WonderGamer; Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:06pm
Selfish Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:53pm 
What about adding a small fee to pay, say 10$?
Erinduck Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:53pm 
Originally posted by WonderGamer:
It was just a renamed copy of Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

Except it wasn't, which even the smallest bit of research would show.
Power of Seven Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:39pm 
Originally posted by CrimsonBelvedereDS:
Still not sure if that game "Get to the end" is a troll that put in serious work, a serious troll.

Of course it WAS a troll submission. I use past tense because it's already been pulled as far as I can tell. Did you look at the "screenshots"? Anybody that looked at them for more than five seconds could tell. Geez, even April Fools Jokes often have more effort.
CrimsonBelvedereDS Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:56pm 
For a troll he's put quite a lot more effort than all the other troll submission so far (he went so far as to make a game) and still more work than actual serious concepts.
jeslyck Nov 11, 2012 @ 1:48am 
What about ?.

1. 1 $ submission
2. at least 5 pictures
3. X numer of letters + spell checker

It would not kill it completely, but would put a serious damper on it. Because they now have to to spend a bit of money and time on it.

Ps. has not taken WonderGamer proposals with, since I'm not sure they are not implemented.
C0untzer0 Nov 15, 2012 @ 8:41am 
There's one guy who has tried posting a couple of "Concepts" which are just tutorials for GameMaker, and who likes removing any negative comments.
If you're going to ask for feedback on something like that, surely you should be prepared to defend your choice?
Skoardy Nov 15, 2012 @ 12:01pm 
I'd be surprised if half the people posting in Concepts (once you take out all the spam, trolling, joke projects, requests and cheap-skates skirting the Greenlight fee) actually have the means to create the games they're day dreaming about.

It's mainly just people describing weak knock-offs of their current favourite games. There really should have a fee like Greenlight (and no, not something meaningless like sub $25-$50) but that'll not happen given how many people whined over the Greenlight fee. A requirement for pictures and words would be easily circumvented - these people already just bung in stolen clip-art since they have no talent to generate their own materials.
C0untzer0 Nov 15, 2012 @ 12:30pm 
I'm waiting to see Ausskiller in there. We both have similar projects on the drawing board, and he's probably able to pull it off better than me. (I, on the other hand, have a designer contracted already, so it should be a good race)
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:49am