Nuclear Dawn

Create and Discover Community Maps
Create custom levels and share them with the Community. Or just browse, download, and rate awesome maps that others have created. Maps with a high enough rating even have a chance of becoming official! Click here to learn how.
HuskyMcMuffin Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:11pm
Don't you think ND is underated or not played by enough people?
We should do SOMETHING to try and advertise Nuclear Dawn more, it is a legit game and more people should give it a chance.
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
210 singe it 2 Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:29pm 
The thing is that a lot of people look at the aggregator/game review score and if it's below [some acceptable threshold, usually 75 ~ 80], they say "no buy".

Seriously? Could you be any more insular?

There are a ton of games that have low ratings that are excellent games. Killing Floor is just one example that comes to mind. The same applies to the opposite. There are two tons of games that have high ratings and are quite literally the worst games every to come to fruition. I'm not going to point fingers but I'm quite sure we know what games those are.

ND has a bad reputation from since it was a mod. The mod team promised lots of content and saccharine visuals, yet the mod died only to manifest itself as a retail mod under IW. Then the beta put bad ideas in the players due to various bugs that didn't get ironed out until the middle of this year. But we can't ignore first impressions, even if the game is spic and span now. A lot of people who don't play don't know about ND, that's obvious. But the few people who DO have the game and don't play aren't playing ND for some reason, whether that reason is grounded in rationality and truth or not.

Balance? A lot of balance problems are gone. Sure, the base game mechanics will lead to some imbalance here and there but that's a mainstay of the game. It's what makes ND Nuclear Dawn.

Bugs? Again, a whole lot of bugs have been quashed by just a single coder on the job. Being stuck during spawn. Spawning as a "dud player". Weird Armoury glitches. All gone (although some variant of it does resurface every now and then with a new feature, but it's reported relatively quickly and patched soon afterwards).

Features? Workshop support, team deathmatch, and other custom community content (albeit at a relatively slow rate) are being produced or have been produced by both developers and fans. The only way you can cry "ND barely has anything" is if you don't open your eyes to the custom content that's out there.

I keep saying this over and over again - the only real thing driving players away from Nuclear Dawn is the lack of a strong, stable playerbase. If even half the people who own ND just upped and started playing it consistently - I don't mean every hour every day, even just a couple hours a week is fine - ND would be a great game to play with servers to join.

There is no real solution to this problem other than somehow forcibly introducing a large influx of players to the game (free weekend or something along those lines). That's more likely than not going to happen, though, so the only other solution would be a community resalvage by getting some big Youtube gamer with a lot of subscribers to start playing Nuclear Dawn and hope it gets picked up by the gamer's fans; or [as much as the idea is revolting in a sense], memes based around Nuclear Dawn; or works based on Nuclear Dawn, like Source Filmmaker videos.

People just won't play because there aren't people playing, which means more people won't play just because there aren't more people playing.
Last edited by 210 singe it; Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:32pm
SteventheSlayer Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:56pm 
Personally, I'm trying to get as many of my friends on this as possible, especially during the sale. I think that them lowering the price to 10 bucks will help, as will adding workshop capability and alternate gamemodes.

I'm also planning on buying a fourpack for our next LAN party :)
gH0sTy Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:00am 
Originally posted by steventheslayer:
Unfortunately you can't buy a four pack if you already own this game.
You'll have to buy the game again one by one :/
SteventheSlayer Nov 10, 2012 @ 9:52am 
Originally posted by ★ gH0sTy ★:
Yeah, I figured that out.
Tatzer Nembrious Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:56pm 
Originally posted by ★ gH0sTy ★:
Yeah, I figured that out.

If this is my problem then I usually just have one of my friends, who I was going to gift one of the copies to, allow me onto their account and buy it from there, then gift it to the original people I had in mind. Saves me the issue of having to lend money to the person, allows me to still get the discount, and none of my friends save credit information to their account so there's no worries there between us.
Spazzo 3 Nov 11, 2012 @ 3:11pm 
Originally posted by Tatzer Nembrious:
If this is my problem then I usually just have one of my friends, who I was going to gift one of the copies to, allow me onto their account and buy it from there, then gift it to the original people I had in mind. Saves me the issue of having to lend money to the person, allows me to still get the discount, and none of my friends save credit information to their account so there's no worries there between us.
Please note that I've heard of people having their accounts disabled for such things occuring, and account sharing in any form is against the SSA(Steam Subscriber Agreement)

So if you do that, Both your account and the account of your friend could get disabled.
Last edited by Spazzo; Nov 11, 2012 @ 3:12pm
Dutch Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:38pm 
This game is so underrated! I like this way better than Call of Duty. In call of duty you can't build turrets and capture resource points and go into Real Time Strategy mode. this game is awesome! (It needs to be $1 though, otherwise it's hard to make the sale to someone who hasn't played it). or release a demo version.
CTAMECKA Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:50am 
опупеть
Jyotish Nov 23, 2012 @ 4:17am 
скоро наши расчухают и тогда там станет весело ))
Larry Gumball Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:19am 
it's Simple we Have them Give a HAT to TF2 players who play it for 2hours
SteventheSlayer Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:33am 
Originally posted by Larry Gumball:
Nah, people could just wait til the next free weekend and leave the game running for 2 hours.
HuskyMcMuffin Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:17pm 
Originally posted by Larry Gumball:
Nah, people could just wait til the next free weekend and leave the game running for 2 hours.

This is too true.. too many people leave their TF2 on... Just saying.
Chris Apr 1, 2013 @ 5:16pm 
Well, I recently bought this game because it was on sale down to only 5€. I mean, for such a more or less massive game, this price is nothing and I went to my friends and we all bought a copy.

Nevertheless, I bored myself after a couple hours of pure gaming. The developing progress to me seems like being stopped, because I played it before a couple of months to a year before but forgot about it. Since I still remember, it was awesome at that time and still is, but I had in mind that it was the same over and over again.

Commanders only proceed standard every round, it's not so complicated as there arent so much buildings. And for the warfare it's about the same routine.

It should definately get promoted as hell, but the developers should somehow communicate with their players, because there is nothing more annoying than no information. Announce updates, new content etc. like every month. It mustn't be much, small updates, few content changes and adds, and the promotion will do itself.
HuskyMcMuffin Apr 1, 2013 @ 7:41pm 
Originally posted by Chris:
Well, I recently bought this game because it was on sale down to only 5€. I mean, for such a more or less massive game, this price is nothing and I went to my friends and we all bought a copy.

Nevertheless, I bored myself after a couple hours of pure gaming. The developing progress to me seems like being stopped, because I played it before a couple of months to a year before but forgot about it. Since I still remember, it was awesome at that time and still is, but I had in mind that it was the same over and over again.

Commanders only proceed standard every round, it's not so complicated as there arent so much buildings. And for the warfare it's about the same routine.

It should definately get promoted as hell, but the developers should somehow communicate with their players, because there is nothing more annoying than no information. Announce updates, new content etc. like every month. It mustn't be much, small updates, few content changes and adds, and the promotion will do itself.

They post updated on Facebook, just to let you know.
Chris Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:10am 
The most recent update was longer than 4 months ago, thats a huge time span.. If there was an update every 4 months, that would make 3 updates a year.. Imagine that. Thats ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

The most recent action from ND was the steam sale. But that doesn't help the development of the game..
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50