Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Vae Victis Nov 1, 2012 @ 2:25pm
Sudden drop in votes
Three days ago we experienced an incredible and sudden drop in votes for our game:

http://i.imgur.com/uzrI8.png

After a week of full throttle, it's almost impossible that votes dropped this much without any apparent reason, have someone else experienced something similar for his game this week?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97896468
Last edited by Vae Victis; Nov 1, 2012 @ 2:26pm
Showing 1-15 of 61 comments
< >
wilco64256 Nov 1, 2012 @ 2:37pm 
Probably all of the regulars who watch Greenlight closely have now seen your game. It's now on you to drive traffic directly to your page with your own efforts to get more votes.
Oakreef Nov 1, 2012 @ 3:17pm 
I believe that the queue is designed to give a mix of newly added games and the top voted game. Possibly you've only just fallen off the "recently added" criteria, or what wilco has said and everyone who's a regular has already voted. I'd suggest going and promoting your game outside of greenlight now as your "natural" amount of votes may be a bit tapped out.
Last edited by Oakreef; Nov 1, 2012 @ 3:18pm
CrimsonBelvedereDS Nov 1, 2012 @ 8:57pm 
Time to hit the social networks and gaming rags.
sara_bear Nov 4, 2012 @ 6:56pm 
Well since the same 9 games keep showing up on my queue. I think the rotation is nearly non-existant. New queue should mean just that, a fresh 12 opitions. It hasn't happened once since day 2 of greenlight.

BTW Your game has yet to show up on my queue yet.
Last edited by sara_bear; Nov 4, 2012 @ 6:57pm
Sgt.Psycho Nov 4, 2012 @ 7:21pm 
It's been mentioned at least twice previously by other devs with the same complaint. Basically, after a week (or so, we don't know the algorithm) an entry is no longer promoted as much to the queue. Hence you should see overall traffic declining after a certain time. It's then up to you to drive eyeballs to your submission.

fwiw, I saw it and voted the same day it was listed. While you may get an initial surge from completionists, as time goes by daily vote counts will decline exponentially due to fewer and fewer people both discovering your submission, and being eligible to vote for it.

Originally posted by sara_bear:
Well since the same 9 games keep showing up on my queue. I think the rotation is nearly non-existant. New queue should mean just that, a fresh 12 opitions. It hasn't happened once since day 2 of greenlight.

BTW Your game has yet to show up on my queue yet.

If you have voted for those nine games, then you should have an empty queue, and hence a whole new set of submissions. The only way out is to vote.

If voted games are not leaving your queue, then something is broken and you need to ask for help with it.
Last edited by Sgt.Psycho; Nov 4, 2012 @ 7:22pm
sara_bear Nov 4, 2012 @ 8:29pm 
No it's not that. There are over 60 games not ready for votes at all. No gameplay video. Graphic problems. This and that.

They are several (hundreds of us) of us that wait to vote if they are still working on their game. (shrug) Trying to be nice, I guess.

There's no button for skipping a game if it's not ready for a vote.

Problem is then your queue gets filled with the not worth a vote yet games. And you can not get rid of them. Over and over them for 2 months now.

Look for "No gameplay video, no vote" posts. Hundreds of them!

All this makes the queues broken as they work now. Since greenlight doesn't mix what goes on your queue.

I want a queue full of 12 games that have never (or at least in that month) been on the queue before. That's a new queue.

(shrug) I like to see some different stuff.
Sgt.Psycho Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:31pm 
Then vote "no" If you wouldn't buy it then, you should say so. Greenlight doesn't support "maybe" or "if it gets better" or "more information".

It's just 'yes'... or 'no'. If the dev has not done enough work to persuade you, then that is their problem, not yours.

It might seem harsh, but that's how Valve set it up. They really, really want you to vote now, and not hang back.
sara_bear Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:37pm 
(shakes head) Since most games on greenlight are no even close to being ready. It's just not fair, if they are willing to fix the problems. You vote no, you never see them again.

Several games in the past month got fixed and then people voted for them. 4 of them got greenlighted after too. It worth waiting for both the game makers and the voters.

The problem is the way the queues work.
Wolfenhex Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:03am 
I had the same thing happen with Pixel. For about a week it was receiving 50% more votes than the top 100 average then it dropped to almost nothing. It happened as soon as Pixel was moved off of the first page of the Most Recent list.

I've been trying to do everything I can afford to do, to promote Pixel -- other than annoying spamming everywhere. So far nothing has helped, so here's some spam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101032123
Last edited by Wolfenhex; Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:05am
C0untzer0 Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:30am 
No, don't turn to the dark side, it's unlikely to impress more than it annoys, (e.g. I'm sick of pinball already and I had originally voted yes, until about the 7th annoying spam post I saw)
Last edited by C0untzer0; Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:25am
Vae Victis Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:20am 
Originally posted by Sgt.Psycho:
It's been mentioned at least twice previously by other devs with the same complaint. Basically, after a week (or so, we don't know the algorithm) an entry is no longer promoted as much to the queue. Hence you should see overall traffic declining after a certain time. It's then up to you to drive eyeballs to your submission.

Originally posted by Wolfenhex:
I had the same thing happen with Pixel. For about a week it was receiving 50% more votes than the top 100 average then it dropped to almost nothing.

Thanks for reporting, at least now we know what happened.
Oakreef Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:10am 
Originally posted by sara_bear:
(shakes head) Since most games on greenlight are no even close to being ready. It's just not fair, if they are willing to fix the problems. You vote no, you never see them again.
I think it's perfectly fair. You put up your game with no information, clear screenshots or just some concept art and I downvote you for making a bad submission. They're not forced to put their games on greenlight before they are ready to be showcased and it's their own fault for wasting their opportunity to be in the new queue before they had anything to show.
C0untzer0 Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:16am 
It's kind of like sending an application form or a C.V. in that way.
{dTa}aRny Nov 5, 2012 @ 7:17am 
true, but dont forget Greenlight was initially aimed at all games those even at conceptual stages. So its harsh to blame those games that didn't have video footage for not doing so, when it wasnt a requirement.
C0untzer0 Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:34am 
It wasn't a requirement to post on day 1 regardless of wether you were ready, either. A good project manager knows to have all these things ready when you go for it.
Showing 1-15 of 61 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 1, 2012 @ 2:25pm