Dungeons of Dredmor
The Dwarven Mod Industry Needs You!
Create and share new items, rooms, skills, spells, monsters, and more! Click here to learn how.
Steels12 Oct 22, 2012 @ 4:18pm
Less Skilltrees, more Misc?
Ever since DoD came to the steam workshop I've been very excited, but these excitements have been... over hyped when I see what's really going on.

I've noticed about a 100:1 ratio of Skilltress to everything else. This is VERY dissapointing.

Now, before you all yell at me with "oh we put so much work into this" let me tell you: I don't care. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work put into workshop items that are thuroughly enjoyable for myself and others but, and I can't stress this enough:

I could not CARE LESS about having skill trees for candy, milk, or one of the hundreds of ripped off references.

You know what I think would make this game good? Items, Loot, Room, Architecture, Monsters, Effects, Etc, Etc. pretty much ANYTHING BESIDES MORE SKILL TREES. I'm sorry to all you people who spend your honest time working away at making these skill trees but seriously, the amount of supply and demand here is COMPLETELY one sided.

Feedback is appreciated, Thanks.
Steels12
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Gus the Crocodile Oct 22, 2012 @ 7:44pm 
So go make some of what you want? Workshop files are not a service built for you, people are making what they want to make, as they should. If you don't want to use the skills people make, then don't.
Steels12 Oct 23, 2012 @ 12:25pm 
Thats not the point. The point is to draw attention towards the very high amount of low-quality skill trees. If you're going to stand around and patronize me then please, go off and play Call of Duty or something like that. I'm not asking for steam to revolve around myself and I, in not way whatsoever, even said anything to suggest something like that.
Gus the Crocodile Oct 23, 2012 @ 3:55pm 
If you don't expect the world (or at least Steam Workshop) to revolve around you, then what do you expect this thread to accomplish?

I mean apparently you don't like Call of Duty. Do you think pointing out there are too many Call of Duty games would have any effect on the people making them? Do you think it should have such an effect? Points for optimism at least.
Steels12 Oct 23, 2012 @ 4:03pm 
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
If you don't expect the world (or at least Steam Workshop) to revolve around you, then what do you expect this thread to accomplish?

Well I said what I wanted this to accomplish. The point of this thread is to draw attention towards the high amount of low-quality skill trees and lack of... well just about anything else. Hopefully if this thread gains support then more people who would not otherwise make such misc mods WILL make said mods. Adding more variety to the DoD workshop.

Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
I mean apparently you don't like Call of Duty. Do you think pointing out there are too many Call of Duty games would have any effect on the people making them? Do you think it should have such an effect? Points for optimism at least.

No, but thats a whole different point entirely. Call of Duty, along with such games as Halo and Battlefield are all sponsored and endorsing big names such as Doritos, Mountain Dew, Etc.
Hell, I'm pretty sure the Assassin's Creed series is getting the same attention by companies and sports such as MMA. These big-name sponsorships virtually ensure that even if the game turns out to be utter crap (which at this point in the CoD series is almost ensured) the company will barely lose any notable profit and will proceed to make more of their "games".
Gus the Crocodile Oct 23, 2012 @ 4:34pm 
Okay. I'd just suggest less "I'm VERY disappointed", "I could not CARE LESS", "I'm sorry, but the supply and demand is completely one sided" comments; they do sound pretty arrogant. The Workshop is not here to present a balanced supply of goods and it's no modder's responsibility to ensure that.

A simple, polite message saying that if modders are looking for ideas, maybe they could consider something other than skilltrees would suffice. You won't get people on side by telling them what a rubbish job they're doing pleasing you, and you need to get people on side, because you're basically asking a favour. All the modders know that you could get off your ♥♥♥♥ and do it yourself if you really wanted to.
Steels12 Oct 23, 2012 @ 5:10pm 
well A. I can't create my own mods, I have no modding skills whatsoever and before you suggest it I really don't feel like taking a few weeks and/or months to solidly learn how to script, code, etc for a game that I play casually. I've tried learning before and all it's managed to do was make me want to scream at how finiky EVERYTHING is.

and B. I really don't care for your own tone, which seems like you're trying to turn me into the monstrous antagonist of something I created to draw attention to a topic. Yes I know my language is biased and it's been like that purposely. Surely im not the first person in history to use such tactics to draw attention to a topic (hell, thats everyone in every political system ever!).
Gus the Crocodile Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:40pm 
Oh, the "he did it first, miss" defence. No, you are not the first person to (at least sound like you) take the work others put into their own voluntary projects for granted. If people with that attitude are who you choose as your role models, I guess that's your business, but I wouldn't personally expect great results.

Good luck.
Steels12 Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:29pm 
okay whats up with you and patornizing me. You're putting words into my mouth which have never been said. I'm giving my honest opinion on a topic and you're treating it like I just insulted your mother. You began your arguments raising some good arguments but at this point it's simply useless to try and talk to you if your best retort is labeling me as a bad person.
Jellp 2 Oct 25, 2012 @ 9:59pm 
Modders don't look on this forum that often, they are way more active on the Gaslamp Forums[community.gaslampgames.com]. If you wish to get your message to more modders, you should post it there.
pedroramasilva Oct 26, 2012 @ 6:30pm 
well apart from the tremendously boring discussion of who did what that is beside the point. I totally agree. I was baffled to see how many mods out there were just skill trees. It's weird and sad. Apart from that i totally agree more request and less demand tone would be in order, bt that is just me saying. I rly hope ppl make good mods that aren't just skill trees... oh well
Steels12 Oct 26, 2012 @ 6:31pm 
all we can do is hope.
Essense 1 Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:48pm 
It's because skill trees are the most interesting part of the game. But you're right -- the best mods (excluding my awesome skill tree mod, naturally) are the ones that add monsters, rooms, and crafting options to the game.
Steels12 Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:51pm 
no doubt skill trees are the most interesting part, the only problem with them is that they're just too over-used. To be fair it would be nice to see a collaborative effort towards making a more refined and advanced skill tree mod.
Arale//Zero Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:07pm 
The thing with skill trees is that the player can't use that many of them.

Sure, there's some cool-looking skill trees popping up, but I already have a good set of skills I like to use. I don't need more, so there's no mods that interest me.

I really wish they would get total conversions working so I could play "whole new games" with their own, unique, all-new skills. Then I wouldn't feel like using the ones I know I am good with and default to them, and I am forced to learn the new skills.

My character right now is basically an EXCEEDINGLY /STRONG/ person who hits people with SUCH STRENGTH. I have an ungodly number of "Special hits" that do more damage so I can kill most monsters in 1-3 hits. I think I found a rather ridiculously OP combination of default and modded skills. In any case I don't feel like learning to be a crazy shield candy space wizard yet.
Steels12 Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:21pm 
good to hear from you a whole... 8 months after the post was created :3
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50