Steam Greenlight
FUN Creators 2012 年 10 月 20 日 上午 11:49
Greenlight: Recommendations
Here We Go!!

I am sorry to remove the previous topic, it contains precious feedback from users and friends! But the purpose of it was not clear enough, I agree!

The purpose of the topic is to highlight any improvement opportunity for Greenlight system, as Devs and Gamers,,

We are developers, but at the same time we are gamers and our personal accounts are full of Steam games. Honestly, because of Steam support to Indies, we are here now!

I am sure many have faced difficulties with Greenlight
Let us participate in this improvement process
We can make Greenlight better & better

Please highlight your experience and share your recommendations with us
< >
正在显示第 1 - 15 条,共 50 条留言
C0untzer0 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 2:47 
I've long been an advocate of having something between Concepts and Games. One or Two of the "Concepts" in there are clearly more suited to the full section.

@Mindwedge, I think everybody who's worked with a programmer knows what will happen if you tell them there's a little time left for tweaks and additions. You generally have to rap their knuckles with a ruler just after the deadline you gave them :P
These days things are never finished when they launch (Even XCOM with it's massive lead-in was heavily patched in week one, as was ME3, etc)

"Seasonal games" will lead to disaster, and bunnies everywhere in March, with their hoppy legs and twitchy little noses.
最后由 C0untzer0 编辑于; 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 2:47
Skoardy 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 6:31 
I still don't believe 'seasonal' games are important enough to merit preferential treatment. I don't care if the horror game I'm playing came out for Halloween or Easter. If the best thing a game has going for it is it being released in close proximity to a holiday event, it's probably not worth playing in the first place.

I'd like to see them moderate the Concept section more. It's clear that it has now become what Greenlight was initially, with all the trash, request and joke projects popping up like they did before the fee. I've also noticed some cheapskates using it as Greenlight 'lite', avoiding the fee for putting their finished game in the correct section, and advertising the game with links to other sites.
FUN Creators 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 7:08 
Since your recommendations here are directed to Greenlight staff, I don't have the right to comment too much
loool

But I like them, you guys came up with great ideas.

引用自 Mindwedge
Some differentiation between finished games (or nearly finished at least) and games that are far from completion might help. There's quite a bit of talk about when games that are Greenlit will be in the store. We're an impatient bunch these days. So I guess something of an in-between category might be a good idea. It could also help devs put final touches on the game or get last minute feature creep into the project. That might be a good thing to get done before rather than after release.

Excellent Point! This is important for the voting system too
so you vote and you are aware about when you can buy & play the game

引用自 Mindwedge
The other suggestion would be some kind of genre weighting. That might take into account more popular genres (which would be weighted more heavily) and less popular genres. I'm aware that some of my favorite genres are not mainstream, but I'd still like to see a few of the Greenlight submissions in my area of tastes make it through more quickly. I'm not sure how that weighting would be communicated to the public, but.....

Brilliant thinking
this will work as a guidance for the Devs too
they can change the weight yearly based on Steam community trend, just to give opportunities for all genres
最后由 FUN Creators 编辑于; 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 7:09
John Carmack 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 7:18 
My suggestion is to submit games that are actually ready for a Steam release. Don't throw up onto Greenlight something that is in the process, and don't have it be a blatant generic copy of another game.

That's it.
FUN Creators 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 7:28 
Concept Section

引用自 C0untzer0
I've long been an advocate of having something between Concepts and Games. One or Two of the "Concepts" in there are clearly more suited to the full section.

I can feel that need, but like what?!
I am afraid any new section will be abused by fake projects like the "concept"

引用自 Skoardy
I'd like to see them moderate the Concept section more. It's clear that it has now become what Greenlight was initially, with all the trash, request and joke projects popping up like they did before the fee. I've also noticed some cheapskates using it as Greenlight 'lite', avoiding the fee for putting their finished game in the correct section, and advertising the game with links to other sites.

Yup, I visited that section to explore and vote for good concepts, but I ended up seeing a Greenlight 'lite' section - I like the name :)
FUN Creators 2012 年 10 月 20 日 下午 7:34 
引用自 DC Rosenzweig
My suggestion is to submit games that are actually ready for a Steam release. Don't throw up onto Greenlight something that is in the process, and don't have it be a blatant generic copy of another game.

Or differentiate between finished games, nearly finished, and games that are far from completion as Mindwedge's suggestion up there
Resolute 2012 年 10 月 21 日 上午 2:02 
I really think the concept section is a complete waste. I really don't want a bunch of people butting up a bunch of vague text descriptions or their 'idea' for a dream project.

I rather see legitimate early projects in this section and feel that the Concept section still needs the $100 fee with the proviso that paying such a fee on the concept section means they don't have to pay the fee when they take the project from concept to greenlight.

Unlike some, I like to see projects in early alpha in the concept section where they can get feedback and work out what major changes they might need to make and/or to build up a community before going to Greenlight proper. Greenlight proper gives you a short window to get the required attention. You don't want to waste it if you are not really ready.

To me it's the "Hey guys I have an awesome idea for a game and it's going to have flying dragons with laser beams and shoot rainbows out of it's ass, oh and hey I got some other ideas me and a bud worked out last night when we were into our 4th bottle of homebrew we made in our dorm room and here it is... and it has zombies... and ninja's... maybe" type 'concepts' that need to be filtered out.

Greenlight and Concepts shouldn't be for every half baked idea. It has to be, if it's going to be worth a damn, a stream for serious projects to get noticed and brought to fruitition.

C0untzer0 2012 年 10 月 21 日 上午 2:25 
Also a lot of concepts seem unable to tell the difference between "looking for feedback" and "I had half an idea, and I want everybody else to do th rest of the thinking for me".
Skoardy 2012 年 10 月 21 日 上午 3:28 
I think the $100 fee would have weeded out a lot of the going-nowhere 'idea' people - those who like the dream of creating a game but have no means themselves of bringing it to fruition. So we get a lot of MSPaint title pages, a stream of text and little else. Lack of concept art highlights how little effort/thought a lot of these projects have had when they were posted. I'm not talking about a mountain of epic airbrushed masterpieces but likewise, something more than a few random pencil doodles on lined paper.

Also, a feasible 'plan of attack' impresses me more with these things than the ability to spew lore, made up alien names and your relentless insistence that the game will be the "best thing ever!".
Hannibal 2012 年 10 月 21 日 下午 3:49 
Frankly I think Greenlight is stupid. They should just allow offerings that are actually done. Whats the point of voting on a maybe? They need to revamp Greenlight to what they said it would be. Games that were done to be voted on by the community. 90% of these game will never see the light of day. Why not just vote on things that are actually ready now. Place all other entries that are not done under concepts.
最后由 Hannibal 编辑于; 2012 年 10 月 21 日 下午 3:49
It's Fauna! 2012 年 10 月 21 日 下午 3:55 
引用自 jimrad1
Frankly I think Greenlight is stupid. They should just allow offerings that are actually done. Whats the point of voting on a maybe? They need to revamp Greenlight to what they said it would be. Games that were done to be voted on by the community. 90% of these game will never see the light of day. Why not just vote on things that are actually ready now. Place all other entries that are not done under concepts.

They never said this.
AusSkiller 2012 年 10 月 22 日 上午 8:49 
The thing I'm hoping to see most added to greenlight is some way to track the games here. I've seen a lot of games that didn't have a gameplay video, didn't have a good enough description or weren't far enough along in their development to decide if they were worth my money, but that I was still kind of interested in and showed potential. At the moment I end up giving them a downvote, moving onto the next game and then forgetting about them. What I'd like to see is on each page for a game there be a toggle button or check box to turn on/off tracking for that game. If tracking is turned on for a game then when the developer updates the description or adds new media for it then you get a notification for that game similar to the ones you get when someone replies to a thread you create here or when you get an friend invite. That way when you get a notification you can go back to re-evaluate the game based on the new content and if the new content helps you make a final decision on it you can change your vote or turn off the tracking.

引用自 Mindwedge
I just about choked when our Technical Director suggested we add multiplayer.
ROFL, it's funny because it really does happen! Publishers are particularly bad when it comes to that sort of request. I remember on one project I was on the publisher had asked us to add a pretty large feature fairly late in the project and which just wasn't feasible on the PS2 anyway, so we gave them 2 options on how we could best achieve something similar and let them know we'd need more time and money to do which ever one they choose. They told us to not only implement both but that we weren't getting any extra time or money to do them, needless to say we weren't particularly happy about that and the next few weeks were 12-18 hour days 7 days a week :(. Indie development has it's own issues but at least you don't really need to deal with those horribly unreasonable requests anymore ;).
TomB  [开发者] 2012 年 10 月 23 日 下午 2:06 
引用自 Mindwedge
From another thread:

引用自 bLight
I believe this is a serious user-design issue in Steam.
It prevents the average user, who doesn't know about viewing the image directly from seeing my application's user interface as it will show up on-screen if the user installs it.

The same rational applies to game screenshots, why would you want to add a lot of aliasing to the image... the user will get a reduced impression of the game's rendering quality.

Let's toss in another - FULL SIZE screenies.

Clicking on the screenshots should pop up much larger images now.
Psycho 2012 年 10 月 23 日 下午 4:24 
引用自 AusSkiller
The thing I'm hoping to see most added to greenlight is some way to track the games here. I've seen a lot of games that didn't have a gameplay video, didn't have a good enough description or weren't far enough along in their development to decide if they were worth my money, but that I was still kind of interested in and showed potential. At the moment I end up giving them a downvote, moving onto the next game and then forgetting about them...

Yeah, hopefully they will introduce some kind of tracking option beyond subscribing to a discussion thread.

What I've been doing atm is voting no and adding to favourites. Hopefully at some point I will be able to filter these and check back to see if anything has changed to alter my vote.
FUN Creators 2012 年 10 月 23 日 下午 6:51 
Thank you all for participating in this thread, here you can find the people who really care about improvement, I was reading amazing suggestions here

Now related to many of your comments about why voting for maybe game, or a game which is at its first phase of production

The solution is easy
Just add another line just under the Genre & game details:
Release Date: XX-XX-XXXX

so the release date of this game will catch the eye just as the other details

PS: I am sure Steam Staff are taking that into consideration before Greenlit the game, but they are reading & searching the description / comments to find what did the Author said about the release date (if it is mentioned at all)
< >
正在显示第 1 - 15 条,共 50 条留言
每页显示数: 1530 50

发帖日期: 2012 年 10 月 20 日 上午 11:49
回复数: 50