Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Warewulff Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:36pm
Greenlight activity?
I'm curious to know how the activity is on Greenlight now that it's been around a while. I haven't made a point of coming in here since about two weeks after it started until now. I just feel like the system is flawed and so I've not been interested in coming back. Has the involved community shrunk?
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Inspector Gadget|UST Oct 13, 2012 @ 4:31pm 
it's got lower after many the sparkles fell off. but it's just as active as when it started. and is going to continue. there is no flaws, just stupidity in people. greenlight is for dev's to get their game noticed and get their games on steam. a lot of the time, people are just dropping off ports lately on greenlight either flash games, or ios games or other.

greenlight is fine and it's still moving and will continue to move even after you lose interest.
Gafgar Oct 13, 2012 @ 8:19pm 
Valve is not that active though... their last news were over two weeks ago, and their latest update is even further back. And the outdated images on the “About Greenlight” page are also a sign of how inactive they are... I am sure they just want to see how things go without them intervening… but I might think it have gone a little too far... some updates are needed, and they need to show that they really care. (I have seen signs of many developers starting to get a little skeptical). There might be some flaws in the system as well, depending on how they intend to use it. I am sure they have good reasons and good plans, but I would think that it would be better to tell the community and developers about it to really build a strong trust in the system.

Don’t get me wrong though, I believe in the system and that it will eventually get better if it have flaws… but that might not always be enough for everyone. Trust is something Greenlight needs, and something all communities and community driven systems need.

I am not that interested in talking about anything specific as of now, and a little bit too tired as well. Sorry.
Last edited by Gafgar; Oct 13, 2012 @ 8:21pm
HeliaXDemoN Oct 14, 2012 @ 4:00pm 
For all developers: Don't wait to be Greenlit, try others platforms to sell your game.
Sgt.Psycho Oct 14, 2012 @ 4:21pm 
Only the devs can really say what the voting activity is like, and only in particular to their submissions.

With Valve, moderation and interaction has actually increased by leaps and bounds from well, nothing, to the occasional light moderation when we get a bit out of hand. You'll notice a few threads have been locked and there's a few comments clarifying matters from time to time.

The easiest way to find these is to track down a post by TomB, Alden, etc and hit up their post history - click the drop arrow next to their name.

On the submission side, it's quite active. I am sitting on 99-100% complete and they are releasing to the Greenlight queue about half-a-dozen titles a day. As O posted quite recently, they have a big backlog - about a thousand submissions as of ~21st September.

Originally posted by Sera:
There is no NEED for you to bump threads around... >.>

Except for those threads. :)
Last edited by Sgt.Psycho; Oct 14, 2012 @ 4:23pm
peukka Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:47pm 
jkö?
jeslyck Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:19pm 
As a user, it feels a little abstract, because you get so little information. I understand why you do not want to get to much information out, but at the same time if they ( Valv ) black-light everything you feel disconnected.

See how kickstarter does it
Last edited by jeslyck; Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:21pm
pedrofrancab Nov 28, 2012 @ 6:08pm 
Yeah, lots of really great games get filtered by Greenlight! I just can't understand their criteria! I guess the place for indies is Desura after all. Its where I buy my indie games at least.
wilco64256 Nov 28, 2012 @ 6:40pm 
Originally posted by pedrofrancab:
Yeah, lots of really great games get filtered by Greenlight! I just can't understand their criteria! I guess the place for indies is Desura after all. Its where I buy my indie games at least.

Greenlight doesn't do anything to the games. Votes do. If a game isn't popular enough to get votes and pass Greenlight then it won't do well in the open sales market either. People just seem to think it should be this simple system where you get a free ride onto the Steam Store and it isn't meant to be that and never will be that.
Meltdown Interactive Media Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:48pm 
As a developer, the number of page views has decreased dramatically on our game. In the beginning it was great, lots of views and comments, now its a trickle.
Darth LisandreL Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:42pm 
Originally posted by Meltdown Interactive Media:
As a developer, the number of page views has decreased dramatically on our game. In the beginning it was great, lots of views and comments, now its a trickle.
It's simple.
The most part of stable community has visited your game page and rated it. And that's all. They have no reason to come back to your page. Unless they added you game to favourite they would never ever know anything about updates on your page.
So that is why there is a decrease. People-who-rate-each-and-every-greenlight-game had ended for your game.
An occasional visitor has a pure little chance to get to your page among at about 1k other games.
So if you still need more vote ups the only way is outer promotion: kickstarter, facebook, youtube or what ever. Let's play of a famous reviewer can change everything :-)
C0untzer0 Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:51am 
Originally posted by pedrofrancab:
the criteria is simple:
The largest online gaming market in the world gives people the opportunity to look at a game.
Hundreds of thousands of people decide whether they like it
The ones that get more than about 1/4 positive votes get on Steam.
Which leaves Desura as the spot for unpopular, niche games which aren't appealing to the world at large.
gusgreco7 Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:34am 
Greenlight is a great idea and shows again that valve cares about its customers and gives them the power of choice
2 things i dont like
the fact that we cant see the percentage of votes for each game anymore(that would keep the interest high for steam users)
it seems fewer games in quantity and quality are added to the competition the last weeks
But still a great opportunity for small studios to start a nice career, see miasmata at top places on steam store
C0untzer0 Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:43am 
The fact that people can't see the percentages removes a bias on voting.
The fact that fewer submissions are made is normal.
Many people were waiting for an opportunity to show their games, which led to a massive number being posted in the opening weeks, naturally this surge dies down.
As for lower quality, did you see it in the dark days? before the fee?
gusgreco7 Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:13am 
seeing the percentage of votes can work in 2 ways, either vote for a popular game since everybody does or help a not so popular game that you believe is good to get more popular, i dont see anything wrong there
as for quality of the newer submissions ,if i remember correctly only the dtp games are professionally made that would interest me if greenlit and the wrc rally game(if thats not greenlit next time i will loose any interest in greenlight), but thats my taste, i just dont like retro indie crap games
Skoardy Nov 29, 2012 @ 5:11am 
People have a tendency to look for what is popular, to the cost of everything else. Relying on the compasion of people to specifically view unpopular games will not be anywhere near enough to correct that bias, so the easiest thing to do is level the playing field and remove the stats.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:36pm