Portal 2

Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Monday Madness Challenge for the Portal2Cast 10-1-12: Limited Links
UPDATE

Results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZ95Z3xZJc&feature=plcp

Overview
This week's challenge is Limited Links: to design a puzzle using as few links as possible.

How clever can you be with elements given a limited number of links?

Last Week’s Results
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD2BrYLgUes&list=UUcNVbEFJUK4sVz2e1z836Sg&index=0&feature=plcp

__
Rules
For this challenge, you may use as many elements as you like, though your chances of winning are improve if you limit your scope (see “How I Grade” below).

However, you can make no more than 5 links between elements.

If a button unlocks the exit, that’s a link. If 5 buttons must be simultaneously activated to unlock the exit, that’s 5 links, and nothing else in the puzzle can be linked. Connecting two buttons for different purposes (such as both activating and reversing a funnel) counts as two links. Connecting the same button to two different outputs, such as activating both a funnel and a light bridge, counts as two links.

While I normally permit additional mechanisms behind the scenes (like timers and logic gates), for the purposes of this challenge, ANY LINK in your puzzle counts against the limit.

If this sounds difficult, it’s supposed to be.

__
Submissions
To submit puzzles to this challenge, link them on this thread. Adding “#portal2cast” to your description will help players find related maps. The submission deadline is Midnight (12 AM) Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5) on Sunday Morning, September 30, 2012.

The three best entries will be featured on the Monday Madness episode of the Portal2Cast, 9-24-12.

Good luck, and as always, thanks for mapping!

__
How I Grade
Though difficult to quantify, what I value most are puzzles that look and feel like VALVe created them. They are limited in scope, size and number of elements, but require some revelation to beat.

Puzzles which violate the rules are disqualified from the challenge. In rare cases, even ineligible puzzles may get honorable mention on the show.

Quantifiable Categories
I grade four categories on 5-point scale:

1. Presentation & Lighting: Is it pretty and well-lit?
2. Navigation & Layout: Can the player easily access what he needs to solve?
3. Transparency: Does the player have obvious goals? Is it clear what everything does?
4. Elements-to-Difficulty Ratio: The harder your test is to solve, the fewer elements it should contain. Anyone can make a test so clogged with buttons and triggers that it's hard to see what to do.

Designing a hard puzzle is easy. Designing an easy puzzle is easy. Designing a moderate puzzle is hard.

Other Considerations
Playtesting: Can your test be beaten in unintended ways?
Theme: How faithful was the puzzle to the spirit of the challenge?
Inventiveness: Did the designer combine elements in rare ways?

__

The Portal2Cast is a 15-minute daily show with one goal: Making you a better builder.
Last edited by The Imaginator; Oct 9, 2012 @ 4:20am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
Hmmmm sounds interesting. I think I might play on the whole "5" thing.

For those of you that are still confused, just imagine that every time you connect an element to another element, And their all connected with antlines, you can only have 5 sets of antlines all together.
Geneosis 90 Sep 27, 2012 @ 8:17am 
Minimum is better right? Will see if I can design a map with no links :p
Donderbus 23 Sep 27, 2012 @ 8:34am 
a pedestal button linking to a cube dropper does that count? Cause if you remove them people need to reset the level after destroying the cube :p
The Imaginator 29 Sep 27, 2012 @ 8:36am 
Originally posted by Donderbus:
a pedestal button linking to a cube dropper does that count? Cause if you remove them people need to reset the level after destroying the cube :p

Incorrect. Cubes can be set to autospawn when destroyed; I believe they are set this way by default. When the related cube is destroyed, the dropper automatically deploys another cube. No need for a pedestal button.
^Unless for some reason the cube can get stuck without getting destroyed. Despite my best efforts, that supposedly happened in my last map, causeing me to have to add a button.
Last edited by SteventheSlayer; Sep 27, 2012 @ 8:52am
Innervator 20 Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:17am 
Can you fix the Portal2Cast link at the bottom of the description? Clicking it doesn't work, whether in Steam or not. It's been bugging me since the previous challenge. :)

FYI, the anchor in the HTML uses a "steam" protocol in the hyperlink, but it appears that the target URL is invalid anyway (it's missing slashes).

<a href="steam://openurl/http:www.youtube.com/user/portal2cast" ...>
The Imaginator 29 Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:24am 
Originally posted by steventheslayer:
^Unless for some reason the cube can get stuck without getting destroyed. Despite my best efforts, that supposedly happened in my last map, causeing me to have to add a button.

That is unfortunately true. But in this case, you will have to find other solutions...unless your puzzle requires only 4 other links, in which case you can add the button.
The Imaginator 29 Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:26am 
Originally posted by Innervator:
FYI, the anchor in the HTML uses a "steam" protocol in the hyperlink, but it appears that the target URL is invalid anyway (it's missing slashes).

Thanks. Adding // appeared to fix it, though it's hard to tell at work; Youtube is blocked.
Yunas 36 Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:58am 
Wow... this week's gonna be difficult...
Geneosis 90 Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:00pm 
I thought a moment about proposing my map Fluid Vacuum because it used only 3 connections... But, as I said before, I wanted to get the lowest number of things for this one ^^

So I created the following puzzle with :
- No connections.
- No "testing elements".
- Some hidden places to explore.
- 3 flings to execute.
- 1 bonus Companion Cube ^^

Enjoy!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99354404
SteventheSlayer 14 Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:21pm 
Not my kind of contest really, so I think I'll sit this one out. Plus I've got a virus running through me, which doesn't help much. :P (it's like pneumonia crosssed with strep throat, without being able to use the medicine for either)
Last edited by SteventheSlayer; Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:31pm
Lumina Rose 6 Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:28pm 
If I run a connection through a BeeMod not gate is that two connections?
Yunas 36 Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:54pm 
Originally posted by Prof.Zark:
If I run a connection through a BeeMod not gate is that two connections?

I'd assume so, seeing as a regular not gate uses 2 connections and you're connecting something to something to something else... but still, Imaginator has final say...
Lumina Rose 6 Sep 27, 2012 @ 12:58pm 
It's more for the sake of the checkmark on a door
< >
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Sep 27, 2012 @ 6:05am