Portal 2
Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Imaginator 29 Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:39am
Monday Madness Challenge for the Portal2Cast: Trajectories

Results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD2BrYLgUes&feature=youtu.be

Overview
This week's challenge is Trajectories: to design a puzzle that makes use of angled panels or portal placement (or both) in the solution.

How clever can you be with trajectories?
__
Rules
For this challenge, you may use as many elements as you like, though your chances of winning are improve if you limit your scope (see “How I Grade” below).

However:

1. The player must use at least two angled panels to solve your puzzle.
2. The two (minimum) angled panels must be at different angles (30, 45 or 60; not 90).
3. No excursion funnels, no conversion gel. (Everything else permitted.)
4. The player must use trajectories and/or portal placement of flings (including of themselves or objects) or gel placement to solve the puzzle.

__
Submissions
To submit puzzles to this challenge, link them on this thread. Adding “#portal2cast” to your description will help players find related maps.

The three best entries will be featured on the Monday Madness episode of the Portal2Cast, 9-24-12. The deadline for submissions is 9 PM EST (GMT -5) on Saturday, 9-22-12.

Good luck, and as always, thanks for mapping!

__
How I Grade
Though difficult to quantify, what I value most are puzzles that look and feel like VALVe created them. They are limited in scope, size and number of elements, but require some revelation to beat.

Puzzles which violate the rules are disqualified from the challenge. In rare cases, even ineligible puzzles may get honorable mention on the show.

Quantifiable Categories
I grade four categories on 5-point scale:

1. Presentation & Lighting: Is it pretty and well-lit?
2. Navigation & Layout: Can the player easily access what he needs to solve?
3. Transparency: Does the player have obvious goals? Is it clear what everything does?
4. Elements-to-Difficulty Ratio: The harder your test is to solve, the fewer elements it should contain. Anyone can make a test so clogged with buttons and triggers that it's hard to see what to do.

Designing a hard puzzle is easy. Designing an easy puzzle is easy. Designing a moderate puzzle is hard.

Other Considerations
Playtesting: Can your test be beaten in unintended ways?
Theme: How faithful was the puzzle to the spirit of the challenge?
Inventiveness: Did the designer combine elements in rare ways?

__

The Portal2Cast[] is a 15-minute daily show with one goal: Making you a better builder.

Last edited by Imaginator; Sep 25, 2012 @ 4:42am
Showing 1-15 of 93 comments
< >
Lumina Rose 36 Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:51am 
What are your thoughts on Aerial Faith Plate Use?
Last edited by Lumina Rose; Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:51am
SteventheSlayer 14 Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:53am 
Well, the campaign uses alot of faithplate/angled panel combos. Maybe you could have it so that if you use a faithplate, it has to go straight up.
Imaginator 29 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:07pm 
Originally posted by Prof.Zark:
What are your thoughts on Aerial Faith Plate Use?

I hope to see a mix of faith plates, repulsion gel and direct flings in the submissions, that's why I didn't give any restrictions to faith plate use. Straight up faith plates are fine, but angled faithplates into (or out of) angled panels give some really interesting results, which is the point of this challenge.
Last edited by Imaginator; Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:12pm
SteventheSlayer 14 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:16pm 
Okie dokie lokie!
(Sorry, couldn't help it xD)
Last edited by SteventheSlayer; Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:16pm
Lumina Rose 36 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:18pm 
What about angled light bridges?
Would they satisfy the angle, despite not being a panel?

Also... probably not going to be my entry, but more a PuzzleMaker equivalent of a doodle.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97425239
mechtakendall 45 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:29pm 
Hmmm, I have a puzzle that qualifies, do all the angled panels have to fling, or can they do other things as well? Hmmmm...
Imaginator 29 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:33pm 
Originally posted by mechtakendall:
Hmmm, I have a puzzle that qualifies, do all the angled panels have to fling, or can they do other things as well? Hmmmm...

Other things.
SteventheSlayer 14 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:34pm 
Lot of questions!
I have anouther.

Are you able to re-use puzzles you entered in other Monday Madness challenges? I wouldn't do it myself, (I'd rather make a new map), but I am curious if that's allowed.
Imaginator 29 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:35pm 
Originally posted by Prof.Zark:
What about angled light bridges?
Would they satisfy the angle, despite not being a panel?

They satisfy. My original version of rule #3 said "no light bridges" but I decided against it because they're interesting at angles too, and can also be used in weird ways with both gels AND flings.
Yunas Jet 36 Sep 19, 2012 @ 12:57pm 
Well, this is interesting, and co-incidentally I actually came up with a trajectory-related puzzle today... so ima mess around with it and see how it pans out...
Geneosis 89 Sep 19, 2012 @ 1:29pm 
@steventheslayer : Now you say it... My best puzzle around this idea in probably currently my precedent submission Overjump XD Anyway I will not propose it again ^^

I also have a map called Collision that fits with the rules... But it is still too hard to complete and a bit random so I will not annoy you with that :p

Maybe I will create a map especially for the challenge this time... Maybe not... Anyway, in case I forget, I will just propose this fun map :p Don't really expect to win anything, but I hope you will enjoy playing it anyway ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=74670926
camerson1313 123 Sep 19, 2012 @ 4:51pm 
Once again, I cannot post a link. My submission is one of my first couple of tests in my workshop: portal 2 chapter 7 propulsion flings. It used to be part of my portal 2 recreation in a collection called portal 2 the extreme.
camerson1313 123 Sep 19, 2012 @ 5:30pm 
Yes
Showing 1-15 of 93 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:39am