Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Maniac Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:06pm
It's Greenlight the solution for an Indie? The answer is no, for now.
The whole Greenlight idea it's great, publish games to the "big public" with just good work and passion but right now it's just a popularity contest with so much distance between the games lead by publishers and the Indie Games with "budget zero" or at least a very low budget.

I know this all of this might be too early to say because is just the beginning of a new concept of publishing games on Steam (wich is fantastic) but it really need to divide the publisher's games and the independent games because right now they're not playing in the same league.

Right now a game without any support (a real Indie Game) have small possibilities against the others.

[Also (but not so important!): The $100 entry pay it's a big hit for a little game with just $200 of budget or even one with $600, they have to pay for the licenses of the programs, music, sounds, etc. And also the Indies doesn't have the marketing to win this popularity contest.]
Last edited by Maniac; Sep 13, 2012 @ 2:00pm
Showing 1-15 of 85 comments
< >
Lurid Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:12pm 
The problem is, without it, the trolling and stupid-game request submissions was running rampant.
At least it's a one time thing, so you only have to donate money once.
If you have a fanbase you could always ask for donations.
Kefo Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:12pm 
Sorry but if you cant raise a piddly 100 dollars to get your game on greenlight perhaps you should rethink your current goals and if making a indie game is right for you.
Erinduck Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:14pm 
If you don't have enough confidence to invest $100 toward your game or you don't have a game good enough to convince other people to lend you some of that money, why should I be expected to play it? It's not a large sum of money at all.

Not only that, but the top rated games on Greenlight DON'T HAVE PUBLISHERS so your entire argument is basically full of ♥♥♥♥.

I wonder how many people complaining that Greenlight is "too expensive for indies" are actually making games.
Last edited by Erinduck; Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:21pm
AusSkiller Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:44pm 
If you actually do have a good game you can easily make $100 off it by selling it elsewhere, if you can't make $100 off your game elsewhere then it's clearly not good enough for Steam.
Sgt.Psycho Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:04pm 
I was talking to a carpenter the other day and he mentioned he did fitouts for small shops and businesses. Idly interested, I asked how much they cost on average. He said 'usually $50000-$100000' Ouch.

For a small single-owner business.

Add on legal, insurance, rent, supplies, advertising, registration, compliance, telecoms, planning development and approval, business planning and administrative set up costs and that's a stack of cash, before a single dollar rolls through the till.

Granted, this is a physical business, not a digital one, but I think people need to get some perspective and stop complaining about a cost that is peanuts compared to other business models.

If you can't afford a fraction of what other business would pay for street signage, your project is extremely marginal and likely to fail, imho.
wilco64256 Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:29pm 
Originally posted by Kefo:
Sorry but if you cant raise a piddly 100 dollars to get your game on greenlight perhaps you should rethink your current goals and if making a indie game is right for you.

+1

Originally posted by Marigold Fleur:
If you don't have enough confidence to invest $100 toward your game or you don't have a game good enough to convince other people to lend you some of that money, why should I be expected to play it? It's not a large sum of money at all.

Not only that, but the top rated games on Greenlight DON'T HAVE PUBLISHERS so your entire argument is basically full of ♥♥♥♥.

I wonder how many people complaining that Greenlight is "too expensive for indies" are actually making games.

+1

Originally posted by AusSkiller:
If you actually do have a good game you can easily make $100 off it by selling it elsewhere, if you can't make $100 off your game elsewhere then it's clearly not good enough for Steam.

+1

Seriously, come up with the fee or play elsewhere, Steam isn't for those who lack even the ability to come up with such a small amount of money.
A Puzzlemint of Legend Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:52pm 
Speaking from the perspective of someone who wants to get into independent game development and is presently struggling with financial troubles, I agree with the above.

If you think your game is worth selling, put it on Desura. They'll accept it.
Even if you're only making $5 profit for each copy sold, you'd only need a grand total of 20 sales.

If you can't rake in 20 sales within a day, chances are you've got bigger problems than not being able to afford the Greenlight fee.
lukep Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:04pm 
There's a reason the "starving artist" stereotype exists. There are some (many? two?) people that have a huge passion for their projects, but, for one reason or another, do not have cash to support it, focusing on expenses like food, rent, and other incidentals instead.

Just because I could afford to put $100 into a week long hobby, doesn't mean that someone else can afford it for their life-long passion.
Last edited by lukep; Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:05pm
wilco64256 Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:07pm 
Originally posted by lukep:
There's a reason the "starving artist" stereotype exists. There are some (many? two?) people that have a huge passion for their projects, but, for one reason or another, do not have cash to support it, focusing on expenses like food, rent, and other incidentals instead.

Just because I could afford to put $100 into a week long hobby, doesn't mean that someone else can afford it for their life-long passion.

Nobody is saying anybody has to come up with this money out of nowhere. Get 5 friends to loan you $20, or 10 friends to loan you $10, or run a Kickstarter just for the $100. If somebody absolutely can't even raise a measly $100 for their game, then it's going to fall totally flat in the Steam store (if it ever even makes it there).
Erinduck Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:09pm 
Originally posted by lukep:
There's a reason the "starving artist" stereotype exists. There are some (many? two?) people that have a huge passion for their projects, but, for one reason or another, do not have cash to support it, focusing on expenses like food, rent, and other incidentals instead.

Just because I could afford to put $100 into a week long hobby, doesn't mean that someone else can afford it for their life-long passion.

You're wrong about the starving artist stereotype. It doesn't stem from "many people with a huge passion" but people who are romanticizing artists. Almost everyone making the claim that Greenlight is too expensive is NOT a developer. In fact, I've yet to encounter a single developer who is in a position where they can't make use of the many, MANY avenues available to them. As Puzzlemint said:

Speaking from the perspective of someone who wants to get into independent game development and is presently struggling with financial troubles, I agree with the above.

If you think your game is worth selling, put it on Desura. They'll accept it.
Even if you're only making $5 profit for each copy sold, you'd only need a grand total of 20 sales.

If you can't rake in 20 sales within a day, chances are you've got bigger problems than not being able to afford the Greenlight fee.

There's also things like Paypal banners, IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, or simply asking ten people for a $10 loan. If you've got a product that you have enough faith in and it's good enough, raising $100 will be the easiest thing you've done in the creative process.
Tarius Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:47pm 
I think a fee is fine for stopping the spam entries and such. However, I do think that $100 is too high. Yes, sure you can talk about how much the dev thinks the game is worth and all that about raising money, but that says nothing of games made to be free and like various mods. I know if I had to pay a large fee to have my mods available, I wouldnt even bother. I spend my time doing it as a hobby that doesnt cost anything but time.

Anyway, I agree with elsewhere that a $25 fee would still remove the spam. If someone is looking to spam for quick fun, whats the difference between $25 and $100? What little if any that did get through would be easy to deal with considering it would likely be less than a hand full of entries at the very most at any given time, if even that.

If all else fails and people actually pay to spam, they could always raise the fee.
Erinduck Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:49pm 
Originally posted by Tarius:
I think a fee is fine for stopping the spam entries and such. However, I do think that $100 is too high. Yes, sure you can talk about how much the dev thinks the game is worth and all that about raising money, but that says nothing of games made to be free and like various mods. I know if I had to pay a large fee to have my mods available, I wouldnt even bother. I spend my time doing it as a hobby that doesnt cost anything but time.

Anyway, I agree with elsewhere that a $25 fee would still remove the spam. If someone is looking to spam for quick fun, whats the difference between $25 and $100? What little if any that did get through would be easy to deal with considering it would likely be less than a hand full of entries at the very most at any given time, if even that.

If all else fails and people actually pay to spam, they could always raise the fee.

If you made a game for free that doesn't somehow magically mean you can't raise money. The same goes for mods. It's a one-time cost of $100 and it's barely even remotely a hurdle to overcome.
freerangegames Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:35pm 
Speaking as an indie dev, $100 is easily affordable. Developers spend much more of their time working on their games. No matter how you look at it, regardless of the cost of labor, a game costs much more than $100. Complaining isn't going to help your cause; it didn't for the several other threads on this topic. This thread should die. I almost feel like a troll responding.
[SC]AAron Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:54pm 
Creating a chipin on your blog or site asking for donations to help you get on greenlight. If I was a fan and loved the work I would donate. put your game on kickstarter you have options but to say that indies can't use greenlight is just not factual
freerangegames Sep 10, 2012 @ 9:13pm 
@Kefo, I need practice.
Last edited by freerangegames; Sep 10, 2012 @ 9:13pm
Showing 1-15 of 85 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:06pm
Posts: 85