Steam Greenlight
Games like Monster Rancher
Hey all,

For many years I've waited for games that are similar to some of the classics I played in the past, but they never happened. One game in particular is Monster Rancher, and I hope that due to the ingenuity of indie developers, that someone may have created something like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnpI9pvxBE&feature=related

The video shows the monster battles, and I heard it's like pokemon (never got into it).

The idea is that, you raise a monster from its infancy.

It has stats like life, power, intelligence, skill, speed and defense. You raise the stats by making your monster do jobs like delivering mail, run through a track field, meditate, etc. You can only do 1 job per week, and there are 4 weeks in a month.

You also need to balance training and rest/fun, along with other things like stress, discipline, body weight, etc.

Once your monster is ready, you send it in tournaments like the one in the video. Winning tournaments mean winning money and items. With money you can send your monster off to advanced training to raise its stats further and gain new skills. You can buy better items and upgrade its house so that it can rest better.
Some items help you create monsters with high starting stats.

A monster however has a limited lifespan and the main challenge is to raise a monster and balancing everything just enough for it to reach and win the major tournaments. There are many things that will lower a monster's life span, being knocked out in tournaments, high levels of stress, etc.

There are many types of monsters to be bred, like the bone dragon boss in the video. There is also exploration in the game to find more secret items, treasure, etc, enough to keep gamers interested.

Is there any game in Greenlight that is similar to what I'm looking for?
最近の変更はPeter Panが行いました; 2012年9月10日 1時06分
< >
1-12 / 12 のコメントを表示
No developer has made some form of monster breeding game?

Anything close to it?
最近の変更はIt's Fauna!が行いました; 2012年9月11日 1時40分
I can't believe this. Wasn't this the game that people bought for their friends as a prank during the summer sale?

Ironically, it may be what I'm looking for, though, don't know about horses...
That's not what you're looking for, trust me.

Sadly, I don't know of any games like Monster Rancher. Which is too bad, the series was quite good... For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing the MR series ported to the PC.
Monster Rancher eske game would be great. I would buy that as long as they implemented the idea well and streamlined it. Secret of Grindea appears to be doing this for one of my old time favorite Secret of Mana games.
Would a 2D version of the game be easier to make? The 3D nature of Monster Rancher was nice, but it wasn't what made it great.

What made it great was the depth of strategy in raising your monster, with various strengths and weaknesses of stats. There's income management, secret unlockable monsters, exploration to find more secret stuff, etc.

Monsters having a limited life span meant you may need to freeze it to create your 2nd or 3rd generation monster, so that they will start with higher stats and save the time to train them.

I think a 2D version of the game would still be fun to play, and I hope that a developer considers making this.
最近の変更はPeter Panが行いました; 2012年9月11日 11時02分
This needed to happen a long time ago...now instead of CDs it should use Steam Items or Steam Games?, and people can trade them with other steam members.
Peter Pan の投稿を引用:
Would a 2D version of the game be easier to make? The 3D nature of Monster Rancher was nice, but it wasn't what made it great.

What made it great was the depth of strategy in raising your monster, with various strengths and weaknesses of stats. There's income management, secret unlockable monsters, exploration to find more secret stuff, etc.

Monsters having a limited life span meant you may need to freeze it to create your 2nd or 3rd generation monster, so that they will start with higher stats and save the time to train them.

I think a 2D version of the game would still be fun to play, and I hope that a developer considers making this.

as a developer, 2D is not "easier to make" than 3D. coding a 3D *engine* is harder than coding a 2D engine, but if you use a pre-made engine (like UDK, unity, etc.) then making a 3D game is not any harder than making a 2D one. most games (for both AAA and indie) use pre-made engines rather than rolling out a new engine for each game.

this difference is mainly in that 3D games require 3D artists, and 2D games require 2D artists, and there are more 2D artists than 3D artists, because 3D modeling is a specialized skill that fewer people know how to do (2D artists are more common because it's the more natural way that people normally draw, and it's what most artists are taught how to do in art schools). in other words, it's easier to find someone you know who is good at drawing 2D art than good at 3D modeling and animation.
最近の変更はPathbornが行いました; 2012年9月11日 12時52分
I hope a developer will consider making a game like Monster Rancher.
Every year I hope for some company to come out with another game like monster rancher. Especially since the circus version of monster rancher sucked terribly.
so no 3D artists, no more 3D games :P
im ♥♥♥♥♥♥ love monster rancher, especialy mr 2. GOD pls send some1 to make game like this
< >
1-12 / 12 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2012年9月10日 1時02分
投稿数: 12