Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Gnar 2 Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:05am
How can I have friends play my maps?
They're published for "everyone" and my friend is subscribed, but they don't appear when my friend goes to "Friends' Creations". At least not reliably, that is. Why isn't this working?
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Gnar 2 Sep 9, 2012 @ 10:29am 
No help? :(
Imaginator 31 Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:12am 
Make sure your friend is subscribed to the specific puzzle, not merely "Following" you as a publisher. Following someone does not provide their maps in your queue, though Quickplay options may.

When I want people to play puzzles, I provide links to the puzzles or collections and they typically subscribe manually to add to their queue; same on my end. After I no longer need one, I remove it from the queue.

As long as I have a good internet connection and am online with Steam, I have not had issues playing published maps. If you are browsing (or linking) maps while Portal 2 is open, you may have to restart Portal 2 for subscribed maps to appear.

My queue doesn't instantly fill with all subscribed puzzles when first opened; sometimes it takes up to a minute loading puzzles I have subscribed to. In rare cases, it can even appear blank before puzzles appear in the queue. It often loads some puzzles initially and others only appear after waiting.

Also make sure you aren't confusing the Community Test menu with any other option, nor getting confused between singleplayer and cooperative puzzles, because neither will appear in the queue for another.

WIthout seeing you and friend try this, there's very little we can do to hep.
Last edited by Imaginator; Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:13am
Andi 47 Sep 10, 2012 @ 11:54am 
I’ve had this very same problem and I don’t think it has anything to do with internet connection or anything like that. The last two maps I published don’t show up either and I believe it’s because the computer didn’t assign any “tags” to the map itself. If the computer doesn’t assign tags, such as “singleplayer”, then they won’t show up in the single player maps and therefore won’t show up in your queue and won‘t be available for play.

It’s frustrating to say the least. I want to know if it’s possible to manually add the tags or are those maps just going to be lost forever.
Imaginator 31 Sep 10, 2012 @ 12:24pm 
I assume you've tried republishing?
Andi 47 Sep 10, 2012 @ 12:48pm 
Yes, several times.

This is what a published map should have. The tags (located on the right hand side below the Portal 2 logo) make it possible for your queue to locate it.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/595855323376880330/769BFDDE872036D6C5FEC4D5E151573FEE4FCB33/

This is a published map that the computer screwed up. Notice that the tags are missing. This map will not show up in any queue and will not be available for play.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595855323376879348/824CC224FAECED900A072ACE12D99087BBD96264/

It's frustrating to put so much work into a map only to have this happen.
Last edited by Andi; Sep 10, 2012 @ 12:53pm
Imaginator 31 Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:08pm 
Yep, I understand. That's a monster puzzle.
Andi 47 Sep 11, 2012 @ 12:46pm 
It's one of my biggest puzzles. A choose your own adventure if you will. It was one of my maps that disappeared.
Noel Flantier 3 Sep 23, 2012 @ 1:44pm 
I had the exact problem than you guys and i think i found a solution. I believe that when you create a map, there's a chance that the "signle player/co-op" tag is blank. Now if you check the co op option in the file menu, the editor creates the "co op" tag and then if you uncheck that option, instead of making the tag blank again, it will put a single player tag at last.

So just check the co-op option and uncheck it. Worked for me.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:05am