Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
putte Sep 7, 2012 @ 8:48am
Steam greenlight = Doing staff's work
Why was Greenlight implemented? So that we, the users go rate the games and comment on them because Steam staff is running out of resources for that. This is really stupid imho
Showing 1-15 of 70 comments
< >
Speakercity Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:06am 
No.
In the end, we buy the games they publish on steam, so us, the consumers, choose which game we would like to see on steam and possibly buy if it goes through.
Cranky Messiah Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:12am 
So don't participate. Nobody is forcing you to use Greenlight.
Flotilla Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:37am 
This is ideal for Steam in the long run. In the traditional Steam publication system, a panel of only a handful of Valve employees had to decide what was best for Steam's 45 million plus users. This lead to many games being turned down that the community is now proving they sorely wanted, and also lead to many MANY lemons making their way onto Steam (The Graveyard, Mole Control, Revelations 2012, etc).

Aren't you excited to finally be able to voice what YOU want?
Gravemaster Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:44am 
qcKss are you dumb? Greenlight is one of the most brilliant ideas Valve had. Whatever games emerge will 100% be liked by us since we chose them.
Slur Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:08am 
There's 1000 other reasons why Greenlight is a ♥♥♥♥ing terrible idea, but I don't think that Valve will listen to a single individual who voices their opinion on the matter.
wilco64256 Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:16am 
The only people who think Greenlight is a bad idea are the developers who don't have enough confidence in their game's ability to get approved in this system. I find that to be the best method for sifting out the weeds. If your game can't even get past Greenlight then it wouldn't do well in sales on the store anyway.
DarkByNight Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:45am 
Greenlight is a fantastic thing, I'm happy to "do valves work" for them, if I means I can help decide what is put on steam.
I don't have much time each day to focus on greenlight, but I am happy to do it, I have lots of games I am personally invested in, as a backer, pre-orderer and so on, and I'd love to see them on steam. At least this way I can directly help make that happen.
You will not be punished for not participating, so why complain?
The only thing that happens is you don't get a say in what get's released, but you didn't have a say in the old system either.
Skoardy Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:40am 
Originally posted by Slur:
There's 1000 other reasons why Greenlight is a ♥♥♥♥ing terrible idea, but I don't think that Valve will listen to a single individual who voices their opinion on the matter.
I think it's probably something to do with the massive over-exageration and complete failure to back up claims with any of those '1000 other reasons', but hey, you know, that's just an assumption on my part.
Gaius Octavius II Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:49am 

List all 1000.

I have all day.
wilco64256 Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:49am 
Originally posted by wilco256:
The only people who think Greenlight is a bad idea are the developers who don't have enough confidence in their game's ability to get approved in this system. I find that to be the best method for sifting out the weeds. If your game can't even get past Greenlight then it wouldn't do well in sales on the store anyway.

Assumptions.

Fact. If you can't drum up enough interest in your game to get people to vote it onto the store when their votes cost them absolutely nothing, there's no way in hell you're going to be able to convince them to break out their wallets and actually pay for your game.
chronoChameleon Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:56am 
qcKss is actually right here. Valve didn't launch Greenlight as some major innovation in independent publishing, they did it to save resources. They're gathering analytics so that they can just publish the games that will make them money and they're doing it with a smaller investment of man power.

Still, Greenlight would be a major step forward for Steam, but Valve fell on their face with the launch of it. There were 3 major updates to Greenlight in the first weekend and they failed to solve any of its biggest problems. It all boils down to the fact that they jerking us all around, devs and users alike, by not making a decision on acceptance criteria.

They've known since they announced Greenlight what they were looking for in a game in oder for it to go to publication. They're just leaving us in the dark to give themselves a little more time to change their minds. In the mean time there are games with tens of thousands of likes and huge communities that are left unsure of whether or not they'll ever get published because their percentage keeps jumping around between 0 and 5 percent.

Until some major improvements are made, Greenlight doesn't yet have anything to do with game publishing. Right now its just a huge troll circle jerk. Everyone is sitting around passing judgement, acting like they get the final say on some game's future, but Valve hasn't even made a decision on what each of our votes counts as.

So everybody needs to just take a step back and stop taking sides until Valve can make up their minds once and for all.
wilco64256 Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:02pm 
Originally posted by jpthebean:
qcKss is actually right here. Valve didn't launch Greenlight as some major innovation in independent publishing, they did it to save resources. They're gathering analytics so that they can just publish the games that will make them money and they're doing it with a smaller investment of man power.

Still, Greenlight would be a major step forward for Steam, but Valve fell on their face with the launch of it. There were 3 major updates to Greenlight in the first weekend and they failed to solve any of its biggest problems. It all boils down to the fact that they jerking us all around, devs and users alike, by not making a decision on acceptance criteria.

They've known since they announced Greenlight what they were looking for in a game in oder for it to go to publication. They're just leaving us in the dark to give themselves a little more time to change their minds. In the mean time there are games with tens of thousands of likes and huge communities that are left unsure of whether or not they'll ever get published because their percentage keeps jumping around between 0 and 5 percent.

Until some major improvements are made, Greenlight doesn't yet have anything to do with game publishing. Right now its just a huge troll circle jerk. Everyone is sitting around passing judgement, acting like they get the final say on some game's future, but Valve hasn't even made a decision on what each of our votes counts as.

So everybody needs to just take a step back and stop taking sides until Valve can make up their minds once and for all.

You may want to start by reading the FAQ, Valve has stated since before Greenlight even launched that they plan to spend the first few days/weeks evaluating game popularity before they start nailing down exact benchmarks. It's been out for barely a week.
Skoardy Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:14pm 
You may want to start by reading the FAQ, Valve has stated since before Greenlight even launched that they plan to spend the first few days/weeks evaluating game popularity before they start nailing down exact benchmarks. It's been out for barely a week.
I think he was right about it being 'a huge troll circle jerk', though he probably didn't mean all the uninformed complainers spreading misinformation and working each up into a frenzy when he said it though. Still, hopefully as time goes by and everything is evaluated, the trolls should slink back into the darkness to extract their feet from their mouths or just simply move on to the next internet drama they can rant and rave at.
daicon Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:33pm 
Artists: Make items for Dota/TF2 Workshop.
Consumers: Vote and campaign for what you want to buy.
Valve: Play with AR toys.
chronoChameleon Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:37pm 
Originally posted by jpthebean:

I did read the faq and I never said they didn't say it. I said that Valve is extremely stupid for saying it. They went into this endeavor knowing exactly what level of community interest was necessary to make a game profitable. What they're doing here is making all the indies fight it out over ranking when they could easily set a well defined threshold for everybody to aim for and eliminate all of this ridiculous in fighting. They've created a scenario were everybody feels they need to beat each other to the finish line when it could be a cooperative environment where different game communities merge and join in support of good games.

If Valve would just come out and say, "we want to see 50,000, 100,000, 200,000, or however many up votes," then we might be able to start working together instead of constantly fighting over what game is better or what game deservers it more.
Showing 1-15 of 70 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 7, 2012 @ 8:48am