Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:00am
Monday Madness Challenge for the Portal2Cast 9-10-12: Turrets
This week's challenge is Turrets. They're cute, they're friendly, they're deadly.

Can you use them effectively in your puzzles?

Rules for this challenge:

1. Your puzzle must contain at least 3 turrets (more permitted).
2. All 3 of the minimum turrets must be guarding SOMETHING needed to solve the puzzle: An element, room, portal wall, etc.
3. All 3 of the minimum turrets must be defeated by different methods. EXAMPLE: If the player can use a laser to kill the first turret, the player will not be able to use the laser on your second & third turrets.
4. Absolutely NO instagib allowed. "Congratulations, you're dead!" is not a fun use of turrets; they are to be obstacles between goals, not punishment just for exploring.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=instagib

To submit puzzles to this challenge, link them on this thread.

The three best entries will be selected and featured on the Monday Madness episode of the Portal2Cast, 9-10-12.

Puzzles are graded on:

1. Presentation & Lighting: Is it pretty?
2. Navigation & Layout: Is it needlessly hard to traverse for reasons unrelated to solving?
3. Transparency: Does the player have obvious goals? Is it clear what everything does?
4. Elements-to-Difficulty Ratio: The harder your test is to solve, the fewer elements it should contain. (Anyone can make a test so clogged with buttons and triggers that it's hard to see what to do.)
5. Playtesting: Can your test be beaten in unintended ways?
6. Did it meet the requirements for the challenge?

Good luck, and as always, thanks for mapping!
__

The Portal2Cast is a 15-minute daily show with one goal: Making you a better builder.

www.youtube.com/user/portal2cast
Last edited by Imaginator; Sep 5, 2012 @ 7:39am
Showing 1-15 of 73 comments
< >
Donderbus 20 Sep 5, 2012 @ 7:27am 
well.. thats something i haven't done before. Could be fun.
SteventheSlayer Sep 5, 2012 @ 8:38am 
Sounds good.
I normally like to use unintended solutions when I make a puzzle, but I'm not sure how I'll do that for this...
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 9:19am 
Unintended solutions?
SteventheSlayer Sep 5, 2012 @ 9:30am 
Redefine: uses of puzzle elements other then what they were intended for.

Example: In my lightbridge map, I had a ball rolling along the side of a vertical lightbridge.
Last edited by SteventheSlayer; Sep 7, 2012 @ 5:26pm
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 10:01am 
Well, if you can think of one (or more) for turrets, so much the better. And of course this kind of creativity with other elements is encouraged.
camerson1313 123 Sep 5, 2012 @ 1:52pm 
Do the turrets HAVE to be killed, or can they be blocking something such as the exit and you must find a way around them.
Last edited by camerson1313; Sep 5, 2012 @ 1:53pm
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 1:54pm 
They do not have to be killed, but if you go with blocking them throughout, you still need 3 different methods of doing so.
☢TheWankFlame☢ 32 Sep 5, 2012 @ 2:31pm 
Do you accept hammer maps?
carl.kenner 9 Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:13pm 
I've got some turret maps... It's slightly borderline whether they meet the requirements, but I'll submit my favourite one anyway. There's a lot more than 3 turrets, and I'm fairly confident you need at least 3 different techniques to kill them. Only problem is, it has one surprise instagib (straight after a savepoint though), and then after you get killed by it the first time you then have to think a lot about how to get past it. If that's unacceptable then I think there's a way I could change it slightly so you discover the trap before you activate it.

I'll have a go at grading it myself though first:
1. Presentation & Lighting: Is it pretty?
Oh yes (depending on taste)! If prettiness is the only requirement for presentation and lighting then I've got this beat. On the other hand, if you actually want good clear lighting and presentation, rather than pretty lighting, I may be in trouble :-)
2. Navigation & Layout: Is it needlessly hard to traverse for reasons unrelated to solving?
It sure is!
3. Transparency: Does the player have obvious goals? Is it clear what everything does?
Depends how old you are. As Cave would say: if you're 30 or older, you're laughing.
4. Elements-to-Difficulty Ratio: The harder your test is to solve, the fewer elements it should contain. (Anyone can make a test so clogged with buttons and triggers that it's hard to see what to do.)
Depends how you count it. Let's just say you won't be encountering many Aperture testing elements out here, but you will be encountering an awful lot of zombie turrets from Hell.
5. Playtesting: Can your test be beaten in unintended ways?
It sure can! Although that was itself intended, so it may not count. There are multiple intended possible solutions that I deliberately put in.
6. Did it meet the requirements for the challenge?
Kinda, sorta.

You may want to add some more criteria though, since I'm probably breaking a few more rules of good Portal 2 level design here. :-) Which is not to say it isn't a good map.

And I'm not sure how much rampant plagiarism is allowed.
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:18pm 
Originally posted by tanger2b:

I sure do, although I will warn you:

Hammer alone doesn't impress me, though it seems to generate a lot of ratings in the community. I've played tons of Hammer maps where it was clear the mapper had spent ages on "look and feel," but the puzzle was no better than most.

While I grade on "Presentation & Lighting: Is it pretty?" the maximum grade is attainable in the puzzlemaker sans mods/hammer; there's no extra credit, if you will.

This is a philosophical decision around keeping the game accessible, in other words, I don't want these challenges to become Hammer = Win, despite that trend in highly ranked puzzles.

TLDR, yes, absolutely, but no bonus points for it. Make sure your puzzle design gets the most attention, not your impressive use of lighting and new elements. (Though those things are impressive.)
Last edited by Imaginator; Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:19pm
carl.kenner 9 Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:31pm 
Originally posted by Imaginator:
Originally posted by tanger2b:

I sure do...

That's a relief. It means I won't have to make a new puzzle maker style that only has one element you can add, that contains my entire map, and then publish it from Puzzle Maker. ;-)

Anyway, Happy Birthday.
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:40pm 
Actually, the reason I'm so excited about your mod is because it gives those without time or inclination to learn Hammer an opportunity to add some flair to puzzles. Even those who know Hammer to skip a few steps and focus on the puzzle.

I began to learn Hammer the day PETI came out; I spent 4 hours making an empty room and had no portal gun once I rendered. I had a working puzzle after 15 minutes in the puzzlemaker (though it wasn't any good).

I have soft spot for modders in general, and I view Hammer mappers in a similar vein: I respect people who take the time to do what I won't. (Especially in the case of modders when it actually improves my toolset.)

I just want quality of the puzzle to be first priority in these challenges, whether in puzzlemaker, Hammer, or the eagerly awaited #stylemod by carl.kenner.

Geneosis 89 Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:46pm 
Well I think I can find many maps I already did that fits with those rules ^^
Anyway I would propose the following map, as it contains the most high number of different ways to kill turrets :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=74375517

I also thought about another map i did, but in this one the player totally have the choice to kill all the turrets : he can kill them manually, with blue gel, lasers or with pneumatic diversity vent :p So I drop a link to this map in case you want to try it out of the contest
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=75806658
☢TheWankFlame☢ 32 Sep 5, 2012 @ 4:04pm 
In response to the stuff about hammer, I would like to note that there are SO many things in hammer that could never be done in PeTI. Portalarity, Good stories, Bumbleball, and lots more. I believe your decision may be swayed if I created a map using surface division fields, would it not?.
SteventheSlayer Sep 5, 2012 @ 8:09pm 
Well here's mine. Like last time, I'll have it playtested over the week.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94301306
Showing 1-15 of 73 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:00am