Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 3, 2012 @ 9:54am
How to Hide Turrets Better
In a lot of my maps, I like to hide turrets using angled panels. But people who play them say that they're really obvious. Any suggestions on hiding them better?
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
Air Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:25am 
Try making areas that are similar to where you are hiding your turrets and vary how you hide your turrets. If people see turrets that are always in certain areas, they will asume the same for other similar areas and the opposite is true as well.
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:32am 
@ Air: But what if I have only one turret in my level? Should I make it so there is no pedestal button to open a hatch where the turret is located? I try to hide my turret as well as I can. Here are two levels in which I hide my turrets:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93343152
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93200099
carl.kenner 9 Sep 3, 2012 @ 12:32pm 
I made invisible turrets in a DooM level I'm working on (based on the Spectres in DooM). You can still see their laser though. :-) But to do that you need Hammer and you need to turn off smartedit and add RenderMode 10. Invisible turrets would be considered cheating by most players though, although I hope they'll forgive one or two in a DooM level.
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 3, 2012 @ 1:09pm 
@ carl.kenner: O.o I don't trust hammer. I once installed it, and it corrupted Portal 2. I had to reinstall it in order to get it working again.
Alexander 8 Sep 3, 2012 @ 1:56pm 
Don't hide your turrets - its just plain stupid. Don't just be "SURPRISE! YOU DIE NOW ♥♥♥♥♥!", make it obvious where turrets are.
Katana Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:48pm 
Turrets should be a part of the puzzle, not a form of combat. These aren't combine soldiers, they're just something preventing you from getting from one place to another. Hiding any sort of information from the player tends to frustrate them and make it feel like cheap deaths, and they'll just know where it is off the bat for their second try.
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:52pm 
GOD, Alexander... I'm not trying to kill the player. I'm trying to make it difficult to get from one place to another. In a few levels, a player commented "It's obvious where the turrets are, even though you are trying to hide them". I just wanted to see if anyone had tips for hiding turrets other than placing them behind an angled panel.
udp 1 Sep 3, 2012 @ 4:08pm 
personaly i think its funny watching people overreact to hidden turrets. If u dont like the turrets dont play the map.
Last edited by udp; Sep 3, 2012 @ 4:08pm
dafrandle 3 Sep 4, 2012 @ 3:12pm 
well one thing you could do is hide them in cuby holes that are hiden by 90 degree pannels how you reveal them is up to you
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 4, 2012 @ 6:26pm 
@ dafrandle: That's my problem. How can I make it so if you push a button, the player doesn't suspect a turret is there until said button is pushed?
Lummus Maximus 2 Sep 5, 2012 @ 3:19am 
how about there's the same thing earlier in a chamber with a cube, and second time around there's a turret? Wouldn't see it coming...
Donderbus 20 Sep 5, 2012 @ 4:30am 
how about don't mention turrets in the description?
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 5, 2012 @ 5:59am 
@ Donderbus: You can't stop that. With PETI, it makes tags about what is in the level. If there's a turret in the level, PETI will publish it with "Turret" in it's tags.
DaGamer12345 21 Sep 5, 2012 @ 5:59am 
@ Lummus Maximus: You mean that the cube is on a switch that triggers a 90degree panel that reveals a turret? Tried it.
Imaginator 29 Sep 5, 2012 @ 7:34am 
Originally posted by DaGamer2000:
GOD, Alexander... I'm not trying to kill the player. I'm trying to make it difficult to get from one place to another. In a few levels, a player commented "It's obvious where the turrets are, even though you are trying to hide them". I just wanted to see if anyone had tips for hiding turrets other than placing them behind an angled panel.

I disagree with the player who made this comment to you. It was obvious in the campaign where all the turrets were...did this particular player write to VALVe to complain?

I think not.
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 3, 2012 @ 9:54am