Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Baxter 15 Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:35am
Editing maps after formatting
I forgot to make a backup of the maps I created when formatting my computer. My maps are still in my workbench, so I can still play them, but I cannot edit/republish them. Is there a way to get my published maps back into the "my maps" section of the game, where I can edit them?
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
›› ╚℮Ѳ ‹‹ 7 Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:18pm 
When I thought about your problem I had an idea to safe the comments ect.
but I dont know if it really works. You have to test:

1. create a new empty map.
2. Check if the folder numbers are identical in your pathes
Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\maps\puzzlemaker\ and
\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\puzzles
3. Play the map you want to reupload, so you download it again.
4. go into the \portal 2\portal2\maps\workshop folder and search for the number of your map (maybe thumbnail view will help)
5. go into yout \portal2\puzzles\XXX folder and replace the filename number of your empty test map with that of your map you dont want to loose the comments.
6. republish it and see what happens.

In the case this work you will have to rebuild the map, but you dont lose the comments. You may also search for a "*.bsp" to "*.pc2" converter.

Good Luck!
Last edited by ›› ╚℮Ѳ ‹‹; Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:19pm
Baxter 15 Aug 24, 2012 @ 9:53am 
Unfortunately, that did not work..
Archomeda 8 Aug 24, 2012 @ 5:39pm 
I hate to say it, but the source of your maps are gone. Steam doesn't sync those files through cloud (I have made a suggestion on the forum a while ago, but I got only one negative response, nothing positive...). And since there's no such thing as a .bsp to .p2c file converter, the only way for you is to create them from scratch.

Fortunately, it IS possible to keep the ratings, comments, etc. I've tested this myself on a new map, and Portal 2 recognizes my map as the puzzle I've uploaded on the Workshop earlier, although it's definitely not the same one :P.

So here's the thing: The Workshop generates an ID when you upload your puzzle. With this ID, Portal 2 can identify the map on Workshop and notify you about the map's status and such. Your task: Get that number and insert it into the .p2c file (oh, and get the map's filename as well).

So here it comes:

1) Go to your map on Workshop.

2) Take the number in your address bar after "&id=", convert it to hexadecimal (with i.e. Windows Calculator) and save it somewhere: you need it later.

3) Subscribe to your map, let Portal 2 download it.

4) Locate the .bsp file of your map in steamapps/common/portal 2/portal2/maps/workshop/.

5) Take a note of the number from the .bsp file: you need it later.

6) Create a new map in Portal 2.

7) Locate this map (.p2c file) in steamapps/common/portal 2/portal2/puzzles/<STEAM ID?>/.

8) Change its filename to the same filename as in step 5.

9) Open this file in Notepad++ or another text editor (Windows Notepad will not work correctly).

10) Search for "FileID" and change its value to the hexadecimal value you got in step 2 (please be aware that the value has to be prepended with "0x" and a bunch of "0"s until it has a total text length of 18 characters (including the "0x")).

11) OPTIONAL: Search for "Timestamp_Created" and change its value to the hexadecimal value of the number you got in step 5 (with the same warning as above).

12) OPTIONAL: Change the title and description as well, although I believe you can do this in the Portal 2 editor too.

After you've done this, Portal 2 should recognize that the map is "uploaded" to the Workshop (but edited, note the "*") and will give you statistics and such. If this happens, you know that it worked! Congratulations! Now you can recreate all your puzzles.

And let me know if it worked or not. I may have forgotten something (it's such a long process to describe all the steps and check if it's correct).
If it worked for you, I may post it on the forums as well, as I can imagine more people will have this problem sooner or later.

Good luck!
Last edited by Archomeda; Aug 24, 2012 @ 5:44pm
Baxter 15 Aug 24, 2012 @ 6:36pm 
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow and will let you know how it went.
Baxter 15 Aug 25, 2012 @ 12:25pm 
Hey Archomeda, thanks a lot! It worked out perfectly!
Archomeda 8 Aug 25, 2012 @ 1:34pm 
I'm glad to hear that! Good luck on recreating all your maps ^^
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:35am