Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Lorenzo Clandestine Oct 2, 2013 @ 1:51pm
Quit voting in every game that mentions zombies or Slenderman.
See topic title. A really big chunk of the games that have been getting voted in are low effort, badly designed games that simply are trying to ride the wave of a fad, most of which would be considered proof of concept level at best by any serious developer, big name or indie, if they even get to the point where they're playable. It's easy to come up with ideas about what makes a fun game. It's hard to translate those ideas into actual functioning gameplay mechanics that are fun to play. Wait until developers prove they can do the second before dog piling yes votes onto a game.
Showing 1-15 of 54 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Oct 2, 2013 @ 1:52pm 
In other news "Really big chunk" has been redefined as <5%
Skoardy Oct 2, 2013 @ 3:01pm 
Yes, I always find people are more inclined to listen to your requests when you phrase them along the lines of "You're so stupid that you're voting for games simply because they mention Zombies / Slenderman and not because you find those games appealing. I know because... things. So, do what I want instead!".
Motoki Oct 2, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
But the point of crowd selection is the crowd picks even if the crowd doesn't necessarily always pick the best games or the most variety. I know that Valve has vaguely made reference to some 'genre weighting' on their part and they always get the final say but honestly if you are putting things up for a popular vote and the majority of people like schlock, the system is working as intended.

Now if you disagree with the crowd selection process that's another matter but it is what it is.
jeslyck Oct 2, 2013 @ 3:27pm 
Originally posted by Motoki:
But the point of crowd selection is the crowd picks even if the crowd doesn't necessarily always pick the best games or the most variety. I know that Valve has vaguely made reference to some 'genre weighting' on their part and they always get the final say but honestly if you are putting things up for a popular vote and the majority of people like schlock, the system is working as intended.

Now if you disagree with the crowd selection process that's another matter but it is what it is.
´
No it must be like in the U.S. Congress (irony)
Motoki Oct 2, 2013 @ 10:49pm 
Originally posted by The Wedge:
Originally posted by Motoki:
I know that Valve has vaguely made reference to some 'genre weighting' on their part....

I'd like to see that. Where?

Oh hell I don't have the link. It's probably buried in obscurity in a forum post somewhere and it was way back about a year ago when Greenlight first started that I remembered reading it, plus quite frankly it doesn't much seem to me like they are following through with it anyway. Forget I mentioned it.
Kain Oct 3, 2013 @ 3:42am 
And Minecraft clomes. And dwarfes. And 8-bit graphics (and huge pixel graphics too!). And multiplayer fps. And F2P. And Minecraft clones. ♥♥♥♥ it
chris1980 Oct 3, 2013 @ 4:55am 
See, this is what really happens when you open up pandoras box. People are not innovative at all. They actually are not better and smarter or more creative than AAA studios. In fact, the COD story blows my mind so hard in terms of originality and creativity compared to most of what I see on Greenlight.

Greenlight = 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I.e. given the chance to release a game and what do they do with it...either fall back on cliche, or retro hipster the hell out it that of people want to puke.

When will people realise that, no, they just are not good at making games. Think X factor, most people just suck but don't realise it. Even the ones that get through suck actually. By all means sing in the shower but just don't start trying to sell that outside your sing club.

For there to be a good game the stars must align. You need the right people, enough money, inspiration, and 100 other factors.

I get the impression that the people who support greenlight are people who have games waiting to get greenlit and are hoping that if they tread carefully enough and are encouraging enough to other peoples terrible games that their terrible game, too, will not be met with contempt. Then, they hope they will get loads of votes, get greenlit, and make enough money to keep them surviving to keep working on their terrible game.
[EF] Sagolek Oct 3, 2013 @ 4:59am 
woa
Skoardy Oct 3, 2013 @ 5:12am 
Originally posted by chris1980:
See, this is what really happens when you open up pandoras box. People are not innovative at all. They actually are not better and smarter or more creative than AAA studios.
If only Greenlight was a vetting system to see what games appealed to people instead of it just being something that lets every single game through no matter what people think. Oh wait...

I get the impression that the people who support greenlight are people who have games waiting to get greenlit and are hoping that if they tread carefully enough and are encouraging enough to other peoples terrible games that their terrible game, too, will not be met with contempt. Then, they hope they will get loads of votes, get greenlit, and make enough money to keep them surviving to keep working on their terrible game.
Yeah, you keep saying that and funnily enough you're wrong every time.
orb Oct 3, 2013 @ 5:39am 
I get the impression that the people who support greenlight are people who have games waiting to get greenlit and are hoping that if they tread carefully enough and are encouraging enough to other peoples terrible games that their terrible game, too, will not be met with contempt.
Why don't you check profiles of these people if they all have any "Greenlight Items" then?
-Z- Oct 3, 2013 @ 5:57am 
Pretty sure I've still not tinkered in any sort of coding beyond BBCode, HTML, and php forum stuff since 2004. I've certainly not tried my hand at game design.
Last edited by -Z-; Oct 3, 2013 @ 5:59am
C0untzer0 Oct 3, 2013 @ 8:32am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
[Yeah, you keep saying that and funnily enough you're wrong every time. [/quote]
meh, at least we know e hasn't gotten laid in the last week.
SirAser[ScopeEye] Oct 3, 2013 @ 10:41am 
In the beginning, I saw the concept: "Indie" as the epitome of great games like Borderlands.
Then "green light" popped up on steam and smashed that vision.

Now it's almost become a title that anyone can use as an excuse, to publish even the worst dung seen in decades. When questioning the lack of quality and deficient execution in the graphic design, they invoke immediately: "It's indie" .. and then it suddenly became "in itself" a kind of quality?!?

There lacks a kind of lower electoral threshold - "minimum requirements" for quality and performance, in order to gain access to put games up on steam.
It's like titles such as minecraft paved the way and set a kind of standard - unfortunately so low that even untalented dreamers think they are great gamecreators and therefore are convinced that what they are doing is a stroke of genius and therefore is spamming steam with all their crap.

Let me be clear - Greenlight SHOULD BE HERE!! ... but just because minecraft was a success, it's not tantamount that everyone should copy the insanely poor graphics style - and there is far too much of that right now.
☯TheSairyMan迎aka_Mongo Oct 3, 2013 @ 1:08pm 
why people are giving a ♥♥♥♥ about this? cuz i can vote up the game i like on greenlight.
Skoardy Oct 3, 2013 @ 2:01pm 
Originally posted by orb:
Why don't you check profiles of these people if they all have any "Greenlight Items" then?
And actually come face to face with the fact that he is actually wrong about something? You do realise he wouldn't be able to use his "Those external links to information that proves me wrong might be malicious!" excuse, right? He'll never go for it.

Originally posted by SirAserScopeEye:
In the beginning... <snip>
Heh, I thought your other tirrade confusing your personal tastes for a world hive-mind was mindblowingly backwards but you've really outdone yourself with this one.
Last edited by Skoardy; Oct 3, 2013 @ 2:04pm
Showing 1-15 of 54 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 2, 2013 @ 1:51pm