Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Sep 27, 2013 @ 9:01pm
Which program language should I learn?
I want to make a game on the unreal 3 engine and I was wondering, which languange should I learn? Thanks.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
wilco64256 Sep 27, 2013 @ 9:43pm 
If you don't know anything about any programming languages, I'm curious why you'd already know which engine you plan to use?
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Sep 27, 2013 @ 9:45pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
If you don't know anything about any programming languages, I'm curious why you'd already know which engine you plan to use?
I've looked up many stuff about engines and they said unreal 3 was the easiest. (I don't know that for sure but they said it was so...)
AusSkiller Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:50pm 
Unreal engine is written in C++ so you'd need to learn C++, you don't really get much of a choice about it. Also it was probably a veteran developer that said it was easy to use, not a first time developer, and that makes a big difference. The Unreal engine is a fairly conventional engine so it's easy to pick up and use if you already know how to make a game, but for a beginner I'd think Unity would be a fair bit easier to learn since it seems to be geared a lot more towards smaller/indie/first time projects than full scale AAA titles, and it uses C# which can be a lot easier to learn than C++. From what I hear Unity is also a bit more restrictive and is a little different to the way Unreal engine works which could make it a little harder for a veteran developer to switch to, but if you are learning from scratch it'll probably be easier.

That said I'd still recommend learning C++, it's the industry standard language and switching from C++ to most other languages is much easier than switching to C++. C++ is also a lot more powerful and can perform better than other languages too, and there's nothing another language can do that C++ can't so as far as languages go it is the best. However C++ will take a fair bit more time to learn how to use effectively, and MUCH longer to master, and development with C++ can be slower too, so if you just want to jump in and make something as quick as possible then getting Unity and C# is almost certainly a better option.
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:52pm 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
Unreal engine is written in C++ so you'd need to learn C++, you don't really get much of a choice about it. Also it was probably a veteran developer that said it was easy to use, not a first time developer, and that makes a big difference. The Unreal engine is a fairly conventional engine so it's easy to pick up and use if you already know how to make a game, but for a beginner I'd think Unity would be a fair bit easier to learn since it seems to be geared a lot more towards smaller/indie/first time projects than full scale AAA titles, and it uses C# which can be a lot easier to learn than C++. From what I hear Unity is also a bit more restrictive and is a little different to the way Unreal engine works which could make it a little harder for a veteran developer to switch to, but if you are learning from scratch it'll probably be easier.

That said I'd still recommend learning C++, it's the industry standard language and switching from C++ to most other languages is much easier than switching to C++. C++ is also a lot more powerful and can perform better than other languages too, and there's nothing another language can do that C++ can't so as far as languages go it is the best. However C++ will take a fair bit more time to learn how to use effectively, and MUCH longer to master, and development with C++ can be slower too, so if you just want to jump in and make something as quick as possible then getting Unity and C# is almost certainly a better option.
Thanks for this. Probably right about a veteran person saying it's easy...
Rrrrrr Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:49pm 
Javascript, it has more bytes.
AusSkiller Sep 28, 2013 @ 8:45pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Originally posted by chris1980:
Javascript, it has more bytes.
...

...
Technically he's right though, Java/Javascript does use more bytes than C++, of course that's a reason NOT to use it ;).
C0untzer0 Sep 29, 2013 @ 1:04am 
I thought the reason not to use it was that it's javascript.
NOBODY should learn that thing anymore, it's already dead and just waiting for the tail to shrivel up. If C doesn't grab you, HTML5 is getting bigger all the time.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Sep 29, 2013 @ 2:56am
C0untzer0 Sep 29, 2013 @ 5:48am 
Which bring sus to the idea of engines.
While Ausskiller is definitely right about C++, if you're trying to make a simple first attempt at a game, don't be ashamed of letting somebody else do the hard thankless job of creating an engine for you. Why spend a lot of time creating an engine if Unity already works for what you have in mind? (or Gamemaker, or even RPGMaker for that matter) If your game distinguishes itself as a unique property (i.e. for the love of Joe Pesci don't use default assets or gui settings), then you can make a game in Flash for all it matters. Afterwards, when you start working on big projects, you'll find it better to build from scratch, so that every feature is tailor-made for you.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Sep 29, 2013 @ 5:49am
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Sep 29, 2013 @ 5:51am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Which bring sus to the idea of engines.
While Ausskiller is definitely right about C++, if you're trying to make a simple first attempt at a game, don't be ashamed of letting somebody else do the hard thankless job of creating an engine for you. Why spend a lot of time creating an engine if Unity already works for what you have in mind? (or Gamemaker, or even RPGMaker for that matter) If your game distinguishes itself as a unique property (i.e. for the love of Joe Pesci don't use default assets or gui settings), then you can make a game in Flash for all it matters. Afterwards, when you start working on big projects, you'll find it better to build from scratch, so that every feature is tailor-made for you.
Thanks. Just getting used to all these features just in the defaault thing alone and programming is really daunting but if it creates my idea in the end, I'l be happy. I will listen and start small, then grow slowly
Rrrrrr Sep 29, 2013 @ 5:59am 
Just please don't release an Early Access zombie game on Greenlight.
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Sep 29, 2013 @ 6:01am 
Originally posted by chris1980:
Just please don't release an Early Access zombie game on Greenlight.
Hell no. My game is a sci-fi (don't stop reading) game that is well thought out and yes, it has similarities to other sci-fi games but references this fact.
Last edited by Sir Dirge of Cykaland; Sep 29, 2013 @ 2:44pm
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 27, 2013 @ 9:01pm
Posts: 11