Steam Greenlight
greenlight = crap?
every once in a while a game comes along that's great. but what about the rest? I'm not so sure. a lot a crap has been perking up on steam. I hope this won't have the effect of alienating steam users and hurting the indie scene. Steam has become a buyer beware type marketplace.

Also, this emphasis on early release of betas and alphas in my opinion promotes only laziness and sloppy game developement.

I kinda miss the good old days...
< >
Сообщения 115 из 608
Автор сообщения: curly_nuts
every once in a while a game comes along that's great. but what about the rest? I'm not so sure.
So pretty much a carbon copy of the situation with non-indie games then?
Автор сообщения: Skoardy
every once in a while a game comes along that's great. but what about the rest? I'm not so sure.
So pretty much a carbon copy of the situation with non-indie games then?

I don't know. Some of the green light crap is really bad.
Steam has become a buyer beware type marketplace.
Become? It's always been buyer beware, as with any other marketplace, to buy something blindly without being weary is just being stupid.
nao entendo o que voces estao dizendo pq vcs falam de uma maneira burra cara ...
a lot a crap has been perking up on steam. I hope this won't have the effect of alienating steam users and hurting the indie scene. Steam has become a buyer beware type marketplace.
Also, this emphasis on early release of betas and alphas in my opinion promotes only laziness and sloppy game developement.

And you're aware that Greenlight games are not "on Steam" and can't be bought through Steam as long as they don't get greenlit. Your complaint doesn't really have anything to do with Greenlight.
it's a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, i mean:csgoanarchist:
Must agree with the OP I'm afraid, my issue is more early access however - but many of them are greenlit.

While people are saying it's just like the non-indie games - this is exactly the point. When the non-indie games do it - at least you realise there'll be some kinda game at the end of the problem period - when it happens on greenlight, you just don't know.

Also it just seems to be opening the door for a bunch of people with an idea to make some money without actually producing anything yet - this is a huge slippery slope.

I really think being able to crowd fund was QUITE enough of a step up for indie game developers. This is just allowing all the trash through as well as real developers.

The computer games industry is really digging itself a hole with all the awful crap being released in recent years/months and then advertised as if it were awesome.

Surely most people have at least a few games in their steam they just plainly wish they hadn't bought ?
Отредактировано thefinn; 26 сен. 2013 в 5:52
Apart from non-indie games pulling exactly the same stunts, some of you seem to be under the misguided impression that A) You have to buy these games and B) Even if you actually want to buy these games, you're being forced to not only buy them immediately but also without checking out the game/existing customer feedback/company history/etc.

You're stacking the deck to make a point against Greenlight that simply doesn't exist and obviously, despite all that, isn't a problem with Greenlight but unscrupulous devs (and apparently buying into hype - which all of a sudden is a new problem and also the fault of Greenlight).
Автор сообщения: thefinn
Surely most people have at least a few games in their steam they just plainly wish they hadn't bought ?
While it isn't related to games released through Greenlight, yeah, I just skimmed through my library, and I wish I hadn't bought: Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress Classic (TF2 was free, I guess), Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, because I don't intend to or are interested in playing them. But hey, they were included in the packages which I bought, because I was interested in the other included there games, and it didn't pay up to buy separately only the games I was interested in. :P

All other games, including games released through Greenlight so far I'm glad I bought (although I haven't had time yet to play some of them [but only non-Greenlight]).
You could say the same with every single game made by EA and Activision.
The real problem is that it is too difficult to get a refund that is the core of the problem.
Nothing said in this thread is even remotely related to Greenlight.
Автор сообщения: thefinn
While people are saying it's just like the non-indie games - this is exactly the point. When the non-indie games do it - at least you realise there'll be some kinda game at the end of the problem period - when it happens on greenlight, you just don't know.

This...and although this is not necessarily a "greenlight" problem, this whole "indie-self publish-crowd sourcing-early release" phenomenon is creating plenty of crap games. And although this problem exists with fully published releases by big companies, there are usually reviews associated with those releases. This "indie" scene thing sorely needs a review process.

I think perhaps the biggest problem with greenlight is that the ideas are actually very good. some of the concepts are things i wish we could see more often; Secrets of Grindea, anyone? unfortunately, these concepts just don't get off the ground in a complete, playable fashion.

This...and although this is not necessarily a "greenlight" problem, this whole "indie-self publish-crowd sourcing-early release" phenomenon is creating plenty of crap games. And although this problem exists with fully published releases by big companies, there are usually reviews associated with those releases. This "indie" scene thing sorely needs a review process.
So the title 'greenlight = crap?' was just disingenuous and inflammatory then? And again, not forced to buy these games and not forced to buy without due diligence, either.

I think perhaps the biggest problem with greenlight is that the ideas are actually very good. some of the concepts are things i wish we could see more often; Secrets of Grindea, anyone? unfortunately, these concepts just don't get off the ground in a complete, playable fashion.
All the issues being raised in this thread are dev-centric and nothing to do with Greenlight.
< >
Сообщения 115 из 608
Показывать на странице: 1530 50

Дата создания: 25 сен. 2013 в 19:34