Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
umdum9 Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:36pm
the plus of being a indie gamer
all my games are indie exept for star craft and all my games on my wish list is a indie
but the plus'es are this:
#1 they are very cheap
2# there are very community friendly
3# chances are you get to talk to the developer
4# you get a good feeling knowing that YOU suppoted them and when it is the best game ever YOU where one of the first suppoters
5# they almost take everyones ideas into account pretty much you can be part of the development

and the cons:
1# updates take very long due to not haveing a BIG team to work with
2# they can be very buggy sometimes
3# the might switch engines causeing them to lose all there data and start with nothing just like what happened with Interstellar Marines (another indie)
those are the cons

what do you think?
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
umdum9 Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:15pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
We certainly appreciate your enthusiasm. One thing that stands out for me:

Originally posted by umdum9:
3# the might switch engines causeing them to lose all there data and start with nothing just like what happened with Interstellar Marines (another indie)

That's not exactly true. A lot of the work can be transferred so it's not really "lost". It's no small task to switch engines though. I'm sorry to hear IM did that. Now I have to wait that much longer for it.
yeah cause they used to use the unreal engine it costed way to much and they switched to unity a way cheaper engine
-Z- Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:21pm 
Personally, I enjoy being a gamer without any silly preceding qualifiers. It means I can play and possibly enjoy anything out there.
Sera Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:15pm 
Originally posted by -Z-:
Personally, I enjoy being a gamer without any silly preceding qualifiers. It means I can play and possibly enjoy anything out there.
Thumbs up. Long live gamers.
C0untzer0 Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:07am 
Originally posted by -Z-:
Tru Dat. I play many more little games than big ones. But then there ARE amny more little games than Big ones. I personally wouldn't care if EA released "Great Big War Game" if they did it well.
Skoardy Sep 25, 2013 @ 4:12am 
Which is kind of funny when you consider your previous thread where you should have directed your questions to the developers. :)
umdum9 Sep 25, 2013 @ 5:04am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Which is kind of funny when you consider your previous thread where you should have directed your questions to the developers. :)
yeah lol
umdum9 Sep 25, 2013 @ 5:04am 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
That's the attitude we like!
:D
.!.oO=Boney-Dog-Lee=Oo.!. Sep 25, 2013 @ 6:01am 
sweet, nice to see someone that cares, thanks!

And we can stir up controversy that no lager company would dare to touch.
PARADIGmSHIFT_x8 Sep 25, 2013 @ 9:11am 
Honestly I'll play whatever looks good. Sometimes you find a great game sometimes you don't.
umdum9 Sep 25, 2013 @ 9:17am 
Originally posted by c023-DeV:
sweet, nice to see someone that cares, thanks!

And we can stir up controversy that no lager company would dare to touch.
yeah i used to think indie games where indian games XD
C0untzer0 Sep 25, 2013 @ 10:04am 
I thought that LucasArts were the only company that made "Indie" games...
TheSoldier097 Sep 25, 2013 @ 11:14am 
LoL XDDDDDD
lasterman Sep 25, 2013 @ 11:58am 
oui oui
Pox Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:56pm 
The majority of indie stuff I come across is just a mass of copycat crap that people put little to no effort in. It's hard to find a quality indie game (off Steam). Half of the time when I play something indie it is pretty horrendous and unplayable. For instance, bland Slender clones where the only gameplay element is to find notes is really boring to me. It seems like the most exciting thing about them is the horror jumpscare element which doesn't really effect me. Other games try to rely on a specific atmosphere and try to be something like an interactive art piece, but there's little point to them. A lot of good coporate games can have both an atmosphere, a heartfelt story and gameplay (for example Bioshock series) Just creativing an enviroment with text (like dear esther) feels v unfinished to me.

But don't get me wrong I do enjoy the Greenlight and Kickstarter system because it shows you small time developers that are on their way to becoming companies with a detailed plan and staff to back their ideas. This is much different from a couple of 13 yr olds messin around with computers trying to make the next cod doom fps in game maker.

tl;dr it's hard to really know what you're getting with an "indie" game until you sit down to play, it could be something really innovative and creative or just a rotten imitation, so no I don't think there's much pride in lableing yourself 'an indie gamer'. Indie stuff is not always good, and if you want a sense of helping and accomplishment there's better stuff that can be done than throwing a couple bucks at some dude that wants to make a game.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now. Discuss what you think. Feel free to disagree or agree whatever.
Mr. Exotic Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:59pm 
yeah, you're right
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:36pm