Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Fizban Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:14pm
Kickstarter should play a role a bigger role in Greenlit process
I feel that a project that was/is funded by kickstarter should get a major role in whether or not it gets get greelit rather then the sheer amount of votes. For example, Antharion gets funded with 225% of its original goal back in january but because its a niche RPG it doesnt get greenlit because it doesnt get enough votes. On the other hand, a Shadow of Eternals is not funded but get through because it gets the 2nd most votes due to popularity of developers and triple A status. Im not saying SoE shouldnt be there and that popular opinion shouldnt matter, but whether or not a game is funded/not funded by kickstarter should play a bigger role and games like Antharion shouldnt sit to rot in the greenlit abyss.

Also a game like Escahlon 3, which already has its previous two installments on steam ALREADY shouldnt have to go through the greenlit process out of respect at least. i mean its the last game in the trilogy. Another niche RPG that now has to go through a popularity process in order to get in even though it has already a proven following. Greenlit needs more RPG's, if we rely soley on popularity we will just get zombie and minecraft clones constantly.
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
Darth LisandreL Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:36pm 
Antharion got $22,508 and 730 Backers.
Shadow of the Eternals got $128,039 and 2,412 backers.
So Shadow of the Eternals is more popular on Kickstarter too as well on greenlight.
Antharion got funded only because of low goal.

So one makes a $1 goal on Kickstarter and gets over 9000% funded.
He deserves greenlit? Nope.
Deal with it.
Last edited by Darth LisandreL; Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:37pm
Fizban Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:51pm 
Comparing stretch goals/backers of a niche RPG to a triple A production game really wasnt the point of this thread, kind of the opposite. Not saying "he" deserves a greenlit, just saying games in general who have been funded through kickstarter should play a more significant role then what it plays right now. Dealt
Last edited by Fizban; Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:52pm
C0untzer0 Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:02am 
The role which Greenlight plays is in securing backers, and a better likelihood of the game actually being made. That is pretty significant in and of itself, but by no means ensures "Success" in terms of selling the game, which is really what Steam ae interested in. The success/failure of a KickStarter campaign is surely an influence on people's voting decisions, which is the role it should play in the process as it stands.
Gorlom[Swe] Sep 17, 2013 @ 4:28am 
Fizban: Valve does consider kickstarter successes, at least they have indicated that they do in press releases afaik. they also pay attention to trending and other factors. It is not just a mattter of number of votes.

But that doesn't mean that a game that successfully reaches their kickstarter goal should get an automatic pass. Valve still has to evaluate what they consider important. Arbitrary demands from random people with no insight into the process, that some aspect should have more weight in the consideration, because their favourite game hasn't gotten greenlit yet is rather silly imo and should go unheeded imo (because of the no insight in their selection process bit).
Steam is a buissness and they will try to pick games that earn them money. They are not going to pick games to be fair to nieches unable to gather enough support.
I think you completley missed Darth LisandreL's point, possibly because you belive he missed yours (which im not so sure he/she did)

That beeing said I do hope Antharion gets greenlit. I think I would enjoy that game.
C0untzer0 Sep 17, 2013 @ 4:42am 
I think they do select games to be fair to Nietzsche, though. That's why the abyss was more succesful than Superman...
Gorlom[Swe] Sep 17, 2013 @ 4:45am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
I think they do select games to be fair to Nietzsche, though. That's why the abyss was more succesful than Superman...
really? ok wow.
.!.oO=Boney-Dog-Lee=Oo.!. Sep 17, 2013 @ 5:36am 
I personally don't like kickstarter for most of it's current use. It only proves that you can generate a hype. It doesn't prove your skill to get the job done nor your intention of doing the best you can. All it says is that you can't afford to do this or that so you ask others to pay for some hopes. Nothing personal at the OP or anyone, just to weigh in the thought. And yes, Valve have stated that it does play a role in their process.
Sgt.Psycho Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:06pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
The role which Greenlight plays is in securing backers, and a better likelihood of the game actually being made. That is pretty significant in and of itself, but by no means ensures "Success" in terms of selling the game, which is really what Steam ae interested in. The success/failure of a KickStarter campaign is surely an influence on people's voting decisions, which is the role it should play in the process as it stands.

Nailed it there man, props.
Kayarath Sep 18, 2013 @ 1:05am 
The general rule is that you have to raise at least 100k in your Kickstarter for it to even factor in the process. 20k simply isn't gonna cut it...
AusSkiller Sep 18, 2013 @ 1:51am 
Originally posted by c023-DeV:
I personally don't like kickstarter for most of it's current use. It only proves that you can generate a hype. It doesn't prove your skill to get the job done nor your intention of doing the best you can. All it says is that you can't afford to do this or that so you ask others to pay for some hopes.
I don't get it. You don't like kickstarter because it does exactly what it was designed to do?
Skoardy Sep 18, 2013 @ 4:41am 
I prefer Indiegogo. Not for any substantial reason - it's just that when I see a Greenlight page where the dev has an Indiegogo widget, I get to play "Fixed or Flexible!".

To play "Fixed or Flexible!", you have to look at the project before clicking the Indiegogo link and guess whether the dev has gone for fixed funding or flexible funding. Fixed means that if they don't reach their goal, they don't get any cash. Flexible means that they receive whatever they managed to raise, even if they didn't reach the full amount (with another 9% slice taken out for Indiegogo).

Protip - pick Flexible. They usually always go Flexible.
Kayarath Sep 18, 2013 @ 11:46pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
Originally posted by Kayarath:
The general rule is that you have to raise at least 100k in your Kickstarter for it to even factor in the process. 20k simply isn't gonna cut it...

Evidence please?

Well it's not really a rule in the Green light rule book. Sorry. It's more of a personal observation.

A Hat in Time and Shovel Knight are two games that got in and they both raised a lot of money (around 300k each). There may have been games that raised little on Kickstarter but got in but I doubt it :P

Sera Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:08am 
If the game doesn't need lot of fund though, why ask more for it? Just because a little limit is set doesn't mean it will get just that. With a little more, it might even increase the game's quality. But overall... It depends on what the game itself needs in development.

I'd like to see Kickstarter more often on Greenlight games myself. It's always fun when they leave it to players to decide if they want to help fund a game or not. But that is not a choice made by Valve. Only developers can choose to apply to Kickstarter for their projects or not.
C0untzer0 Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:19am 
Originally posted by Sera:
If the game doesn't need lot of fund though, why ask more for it? Just because a little limit is set doesn't mean it will get just that. With a little more, it might even increase the game's quality.
Particularly when the HMRC have recently published a warning along the lines of "We can see this site, and we can see your income from it, you'd better have reciepts ready..." because the government wants to encourage innovation and new businesses, right?
Sera Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:30am 
Dunno about that... lol. My point was just that a project should only do a kickstarter amount for what it needs so even if it's a low amount but the game is good anyway, there's no real issue with it. I saw a project once which kickstarted for 900% of its planned funds. I don't know if the developers got all the money anyway even if it's way over the planned amount but still. If they use all the money for it, it could lead to quite a nice a game if done right.

I'm just saying based on assumptions, though. I have no idea how a game is developed or what it costs to do so whatsoever.
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:14pm