Steam Greenlight
Q: "Would you buy this game?" If the game isn´t even finished ...
This makes no sense.

If someone shows you a set of tires and asks you "Would you buy the car we are currently constructing around those tires?"
What would you say?
Автор останньої редакції: erretter; 15 верес. 2013 о 14:07
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 78
It is up to you to make the judgement if you have enough information already or not. If you think you cant decide then youi should either press aks me again later or follow it and press no for the time being and revisit it later to see if something happened.

You're not really offering any alternative or solution to your percived problem so it appears as if you have made this thread only to whine and complain. Do you have something constructive to add?

PS: Your analogy is silly, exaggerated and obvious in how you have spun it to suit your agenda. Personally I find ALL car analogies to allways be stupid no matter what, there are allways serious faults with them depending on your perspective. Leave the car metaphor out of it already they never help anyones case. It's like comparing apples and the concept of taxes.
Автор останньої редакції: Gorlom[Swe]; 15 верес. 2013 о 14:46
Well, your comparision to the way it would work with a car sale doesn't really match up with the way deveolpment support works. When we ask "Would you buy this game?" we ask if this is the kind of thing you'd be interested in, we don't give you tires, we give you a design, a purpose, even a tech demo to demonstrate the gameplay innovation in action. This only works with games because games have a purpose that cars, tools, etc. don't have: To distract you in a way that makes you happy.
Цитата допису Erretter:
If someone shows you a set of tires and asks you "Would you buy the car we are currently constructing around those tires?" What would you say?
I'd say "No thank you." just like I vote 'no' when someone posting in Concepts only mentions that they're creating an FPS and it'll feature guns. That's the closest correlation to your ridiculously-limited-amount-of-information-supplied situation I can muster.

On the other hand, when a developer supplies a story, a lengthy description of features, a selection of screenshots and maybe a few gameplay videos (and on occasion, a demo), I feel like I've got enough information to make a relatively good call. Wouldn't you?
Цитата допису GorlomSwe:
You're not really offering any alternative or solution to your percived problem so it appears as if you have made this thread only to whine and complain. Do you have something constructive to add?
Final solution: Forbid unfinished games to be shown at greenlight.
Happy end.
I'd take a look at what I can find about the concept, price, materials used and engineers on the project, their philosophy and then I'd think about supporting it if I know that they need support. I have seen great tools evolve through pre-funding but also I've seen projects fail... so it is up to your own knowledge of the matter. If you trust your judement. My favorite synth was pre funded and the best 800 bucks I've ever spent.
Цитата допису Erretter:
Цитата допису GorlomSwe:
Final solution: Forbid unfinished games to be shown at greenlight.
Happy end.
You are trying to fix a non issue with a "solution" that causes more problems and inconviniences then it corrects.

If the workings of Greenlight bothers you that much maybe you should simply stop involving yourself in it? It's not like you have to be here.
I´m trying to make people think about this imho broken system and do it like me:

Instant-vote NO for unfinished games.
So you don't even check back on concepts that interest you later when they are completed? (I'm assumingyou don't even bother to check if the concept interest you since you say "instant-vote NO")
Technically that makes your way of doing things just as broken.
Автор останньої редакції: Gorlom[Swe]; 16 верес. 2013 о 5:04
Цитата допису Erretter:
I´m trying to make people think about this imho broken system and do it like me:

Instant-vote NO for unfinished games.

No thanks you can do it your way and do it my way and we can both be happy "problem solved"
Цитата допису Erretter:
Final solution: Forbid unfinished games to be shown at greenlight.Happy end.
So you've massively over exaggerated the problem and suggested a complete overreaction of a solution? You really expect anyone to take your point seriously?
However I see it, it sounds like a bad idea anyway. There are some unfinished games that look promising and Greenlight allows us to see them and even help the devs fund them. The Longest Journey being a great example. It got much more funds thanks to Greenlight.

If you don't like what you see, vote no. Carry on with your life. Happy end.
Promising games. Yeah well. Would you kindly look at overhyped games of the last decade, which sucked monkey balls in the end?

Hope dies last, I guess?
I judge by hard facts. Numbers matter. Metascore matters.

Unfinished games have no Metascore so they are not buyable by any LOGIC means.

The choice: "Yes, I would buy this, once it´s finished"
Is a matter of
- believe
- trust
- hope

I got nothing of this. Ever.
Well, it's not like Greenlight asks you some kind of philosophy. All it asks is "Would you buy this according to what you see now?" or something. Say yes or no. That's all... Some games like The Longest Journey are so good I voted yes and faved it right away even if it's not complete yet. I know it's going to be good and I know I will buy it.

As for the games with a less popular name, I just go with what I feel about it. If I feel I'd buy it then yeah, I'd click yes. It's not about your bs on trust and belief. It's about what you feel about the game and only you can define that. Concept or not, if you like it or not is nothing but your own choice. Based on this and other variables, you can determine if you'd buy it or not. Is it really so hard...?
Цитата допису Erretter:
Promising games. Yeah well. Would you kindly look at overhyped games of the last decade, which sucked monkey balls in the end?
I fail to see the relevance? Are you saying that you can't judge games and only listen to hype?

Hope dies last, I guess?
Hard facts? As in quantifiable values that would let the game be evaluated by an algorithm? We aren't quite there yet we havent figured out how to reduce the "fun factor" of gameplay mechanics to raw numbers just yet.
Metascore matters.
Each to his own I guess. I personally strongly disagree with that. I don't give a crap about metascore. It might be a useful tool to get an/some indication.. but it doesn't matter nor is it hard fact as you seem to be implying.

uhm, what? How is that even logic? Metascore is an arbitrary requirement that you have imposed on them. A personal opinion fueled requirement that is easily fixed if you simply wait for them to be played and given a metascore before you personally buy them.
Other people are fully capable of evaluating (most) games without first reading other peoples evaluation of said game with what is provided on greenlight.

The choice: "Yes, I would buy this, once it´s finished"
Is a matter of
- believe
- trust
- hope
Which is funny because your alternative is exactly the same thing, just in another source.

I got nothing of this. Ever.
... Are you trolling? I have to ask because this last sentance is just ridicolous.
Цитата допису Erretter:

You're upset because there are games on Greenlight and no-one has told you what to think yet? It's a risk but you could always try using your own judgement for a change. It probably won't hurt too much.

And no, you're no judging by 'hard facts', you're simply forgoing forming an opinion by adopting someone else's. Again - opinion, not a fact.
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 78
На сторінку: 1530 50

Опубліковано: 15 верес. 2013 о 14:06
Дописів: 78