Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
{ANS} DreamInsomnia Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:47am
Video game idea based upon "Hell on Wheels" show on AMC
Unless you've been living under a rock lately, Y'alls are probably familiar with this AMC network and the show "The Walking Dead". Well they have another great show on there called "Hell On Wheels". I'll leave the description of the show to google & wiki. I have a feeling the premise for the show would make a great idea for a video game. I'm just throwing it out there. I'm obviously a fan of the show... :)
Anyways, just wondering if anyone else out there agrees with me also...

~A~
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Sep 2, 2013 @ 10:05am 
Do you mean a game with a similar concept or a game that either infringes on the IP of the show or requires a license to develop?

What kind of game are you expecting btw? RPG? FPS? Strategy? point and click adventure? platformer? puzzle? rythm&dancing game?

Your idea is far to vague and technically posted in the wrong place. The only people that really come to greenlight are either costumers looking for the newxt thing to entertain them or devs that already has a game in development that they want to release on steam.

Quite frankly I don't think you have any hopes of convincing anyone else to make a game out of this idea. You should probably do it yourself if you really want to see it made.
C0untzer0 Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:01am 
Also, are you implying that all countries apart from one are "Under a rock"?
{ANS} DreamInsomnia Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:23pm 
;) Thank you Mindwedge... I didnt feel like explaining everything to them.. :)
-Z- Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:39pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Also, are you implying that all countries apart from one are "Under a rock"?
I just so happened to attend university in the country under a rock.
Gorlom[Swe] Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:40pm 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
No need to imply. It's just automatically assumed.
Originally posted by {ANS} DreamInsomnia:
;) Thank you Mindwedge... I didnt feel like explaining everything to them.. :)
Reallly? I was assuming that it was the US educational system proving once again that it's confused its periodical system chart with the "world map" of Atlanta.

Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:44pm
-Z- Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:52pm 
Originally posted by -Z-:
I just so happened to attend university in the country under a rock.

"THE country"?? Which one is that?
( *cough* "under Iraq" ) Kuwait.
Last edited by -Z-; Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:52pm
{ANS} DreamInsomnia Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:33pm 
Anyway... The whole "under the rock" expression is a pretty common one in the US. I guess I didn't realize how far reaching the audience was on the forum. I assumed everyone would know what I was referring to.. Guess I was wrong... I am sorry for the confusion I have apparently caused...and there is no reason to get snarky and uptight over my initial question. It was only just a question, more of a thought really.. It certainly wasn't meant to be some kind of challenge... ~A~
-Z- Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:37pm 
Oh, I don't think anyone's actually upset or anything. We just enjoy a good play on words every now and then.
-Z- Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:38pm 
Well, I've never been to Kuwait, but I have no idea what you're talking about - yet. I hate AMC. The commercials are too loud and the shows not loud enough..
It's located directly below Iraq on maps, hence it being "under Iraq/a rock". XD
{ANS} DreamInsomnia Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:41pm 
Lol.. You're missing out on good shows...and yes, the commericals are recorded too loud..Its always been like that on most channels you watch.. Anyway.. The "fun police"are gonna get upset at us for being off topic..:)
Gorlom[Swe] Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:46pm 
Anyway... The whole "under the rock" expression is a pretty common one in the US. I guess I didn't realize how far reaching the audience was on the forum. I assumed everyone would know what I was referring to.. Guess I was wrong... I am sorry for the confusion I have apparently caused...and there is no reason to get snarky and uptight over my initial question. It was only just a question, more of a thought really.. It certainly wasn't meant to be some kind of challenge... ~A~
It's not the expression that is the problem it's that "American Movie Cassics" might not be as international as you seem to think it is. I don't think that channel is available in my country. The implication would be that every country that doesn't follow american television sitting on the edge of their seat would be living under a rock.

My first response was serious. Everything after that seems to have been written in jest though.
-Z- Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:52pm 
Lol.. You're missing out on good shows...and yes, the commericals are recorded too loud..Its always been like that on most channels you watch.. Anyway.. The "fun police"are gonna get upset at us for being off topic..:)
The "fun police" haven't had a problem with us yet. I think they enjoy seeing a bit of friendly banter here, as it keeps the mood much more positive and civil than it might otherwise be.

But, for getting back on topic, I'll direct you to the series of questions Gorlom provided. While posting here won't get the game made, it can sometimes be interesting to discuss games we would like to see. (There are, after all, some aspiring game makers sometimes coming by to ask for ideas, although the licensing issue would very likely be beyond their grasp. They could still make something along the lines of what's discussed but with a different name/backdrop.)
{ANS} DreamInsomnia Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:19pm 
Well yeah I guess thats where my assumption was incorrect... However, the show is pretty widely distributed. Both Hell on Wheels and The Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2 are on Netflix.com and season 3 is on Amazon.com. So even if you're not familiar with the AMC channel, it is possible for anyone (in the world) to watch those shows. Under a rock wasn't meant to be a reference to anyone living in a 3rd world country..It just meant someone who doesnt really watch TV at all....not even for the news... But all that aside, They did make a video game based on The Walking Dead... I was thinking they should do it for "Hell on Wheels" also.. Technically, I wouldnt know where to start making a game...But the premise is that you're basically building a railroad accross the country fighting off indians, starvation, disease, bad luck, bad karma, and you have to apparently get vengence on your enemies while accomplishing construction tasks... I think the game would need to be mixed 1st person shooter and also others.. Warcraaft / HOMM type of game... Would be interesting to see how the online version version would work.. Someone would have to play the indians..Might be too politically incorrect. But then again, Political Correctness is a Marxist totalitarian idealology that I do not subscribe to.. ;)
~A~
Gorlom[Swe] Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:35pm 
However, the show is pretty widely distributed. Both Hell on Wheels and The Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2 are on Netflix.com and season 3 is on Amazon.com. So even if you're not familiar with the AMC channel, it is possible for anyone (in the world) to watch those shows.
Doesn't mean it gains tracktion or popularity all over the world. And if it's not popular it probably doesn't get spread much through word of mouth.
For instance I understand that "Everybody loves Raymond" is fairly popular in America but in my country it is a colossal failure and overall worst deal the channel that bought the right to air episodes of it ever made (afaik).

The concept is very closely tied to American heritage so it's likely not as interesting to Europeans, Africans, South Americans, Middle easterners(?) or Asians. Not sure how appealing it is to Aussies.
C0untzer0 Sep 3, 2013 @ 2:17am 
Lol...and yes, the commericals are recorded too loud..

Congress just passed legislation banning that.
If it's anything like the law they passed here, it's not going to help. In the UK the adverts have to be "No louder than the loudest part of the show", which of course means that they're loud.

Originally posted by -Z-:
"under Iraq/a rock". XD
Reminds me of an old joke from the first gulf war. "My friend was really scared when the president said he was going to bomb I-roc, he drives one"

Both Hell on Wheels and The Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2 are on Netflix.com and season 3 is on Amazon.com. So even if you're not familiar with the AMC channel, it is possible for anyone (in the world) to watch those shows.

Ooh, Breaking Bad too! That's a one that folks actually watch, Walking Dead less so, Hell on Wheels, as Gorlom said, sounds very "Americana"

Lilyhammer, now there's a show...

Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:47am