Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Overlord Zetta!! Sep 1, 2013 @ 1:47pm
How do you start making a game ?
So I have a few ideas id love to cast off but id like to know how do you get into setting up a game what normally do indie devs need to have put forward to get the ball rolling do you need know make this as basic as possible if you could ?
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Sera Sep 1, 2013 @ 1:51pm 
If you never have done a game in your life, you should start with a creation program like RPG maker or Game Maker. They are the best choices for basic game making.
Kayarath Sep 1, 2013 @ 1:52pm 
Go to a library/bookstore and get some books on teh subject? It seriously requires a lot of infomation.
ND Sep 1, 2013 @ 3:33pm 
Start here: http://www.pixelprospector.com/indie-resources/

Also I second the recommendation for Game Maker. Very easy to get into even if you know nothing about programming and surprisingly powerful.
AusSkiller Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:15am 
It largely depends on the kind of games you want to make, if you want to make a free, small, casual, 2D game (which is probably the best option for your first game) then as others have said Game Maker or RPG Maker are a quick way to do that. If you want to make a slightly more complicated 3D game then learning a programming language and using an existing engine like Unity or Unreal engine might be a better option. If you just want to make a FPS game then grabbing something like the Source SDK and making a mod is another option.

It really depends on what you are aiming to achieve in the long term.
C0untzer0 Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:20am 
With a pad and pen/pencil. Work out what you want the game to do/be and what you'll need to do to get it to do that. And if you can't find help locally, there's plenty of stuff like this out there.
Relic724 Sep 4, 2013 @ 12:07pm 
I'm making a game right now. I'm documenting How I'm Doing It. Maybe you'll find some nice tidbits in there. I am at the stage that I'm at. Should be good stuff up to that point.

To avoid TMI: Here's the pitch I did for the Steam Greenlight Concepts section:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCB7UTjTcD8

Boom, hope it helps. That's the public tip of the Iceberg that I am adding snowcone syrup to and munching on till I'm done. I have a channel, and it is featuring the actual blow by blow.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 1, 2013 @ 1:47pm