Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Ware Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:41pm
Game Concept. Looking for reviews.(New Concept)
After some thought, I have thought up a new concept. For this concept, it will be a 2d side scroller with a hub conecting to all the different levels. On the hub will be a small store where you can buy upgrades. There will be temporary ones like a robot army, or single-buy ones like superpowers.

This time, I will be focusing more on the story and have the gameplay as a traditional beat em up. Your goal in each stage is to cause enough carnage to max out your 'evil bar' at the top of the screen and call the boss to the stage.

Depending on what upgrades you buy, you can steal from civilians, blow up background 'stores', and other such 'evil deeds.'

Depending on the stage, police will appear immediately or when your 'evil bar' fills up to a certain point. Depending on the level determines the difficulty of the police and how many appear.

This game will probably not be indie material, but it will help me determine what I can do with the gaming engine and hopefully be a nice fun game to play. I plan to use this as a stepping stone to determine what skills I currently have, and what skills I will need to further my experience with game development.

Now that I have described the basic idea, I will ask the question once more.
Would you play this?

(Old concept)
I will leave this here for arcival purposes:
My goal from posting here is to determine if there is any interest in the game I am planning. There is no point in creating a came that no one will play, and I need an unbaised opinion on the idea before I begin plans to produce it.

I have looked for the best place to get the public's opinion on it, and this is the only place I could find that updates with any frequency, and has a decent group of people to get opinions from.

The concept is fairly simple.

"My name is V, I'm what you would call 'The Bad Guy.' Why? Well, boredom mostly."

V is the main character, he is a regular citizen until one day during a spur of the moment he steals a chocolate bar from a store. He fails to get away clean, and spends a night in jail as a result. But the night only helped him decide on his path even more, he knew what to do.
He would become 'The Bad Guy'

It will be set in an open world, where you can be as 'bad' as you like. During the beginning you can only do small, petty crimes but as you grow and gain more powers your ability for carnage increases.

Deathbot army?
Sidekicks?
Nemesis?
Bomb buildings?
Secret Hideout?
Police?
Superpowers?

So far all those listed above are in my 'game plan.' I have gone over the basic mehanics of how the game will most likely work so I can contruct a solid game with a goal on fun and fun solely. There will be a story, but if I went into details this would become too long. I am hoping to make it 3d, but with my current skills 2d is all I will be able to manage, but that is not the most important factor.

I want to ask one question.

Would you play this?
Last edited by Ware; Aug 25, 2013 @ 8:50pm
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Ware Aug 23, 2013 @ 2:02am 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
No but someone else might. This sounds like GTA, only the crimes start out even more petty - candy bar thief. Would you actually punish the player with a realtime stay in jail?
Probably not realtime. But yes, there will be a jail system. There will be money in this game, so it will probably be either you pay bail or lose some ranking as a 'bad guy'. Or possibly even both.

So you wouldn't play it? Could I ask why?
Ware Aug 23, 2013 @ 2:55am 
I've gone sour on GTA since number four. They make me feel like I need a bath, committing every crime imaginable as if that's a life goal. But don't take just my view - GTA is still very popular. I'd look to have something more or different than GTA does if I were you.

Well I've only played one or two gta games, and honestly they're not what I'm aiming to base this game on. Yes it will have an open world and crimes, but that's about where the similarities should end, hopefully.

This game, like I have said, is about fun. It will be cartoony, comedy, plain and simple fun. GTA has always been about, from my perspective, 'give a guy a gun and a hard backstory and make him 'cool' in community's eyes. They're about doing missions to pay off a debt, gain money, get aquited from jail or something like that.(bear in mind, only played one or two games) Mob boss type stuff.

I know this will probably be difficult to pull off, getting the perfect mix of serious, action, and comedy to make it it's own game but I want to try. I want a game that's just plain and simple fun. If I can get that perfect mix, I can tell this game will be good.

But, there is no point creating a game only I will play, which is why I have asked these questions. I undrstand where you are coming from from the GTA side of things, and I can tell you that is not my main source of inspiration.

But I will keep that in mind if the game ever leans in a darker direction. Thank you for the input.
Skoardy Aug 23, 2013 @ 2:55am 
Would I play it if it had the scope and level of assets of a modern AAA title? Probably not - seems a little generic. Would I play it with the level of detail and attention a typical indie dev could probably bring to the genre. Almost definitely not.

I think you're biting off more than you can chew and like I said, your proposal doesn't exactly appear to bring much new to the table, especially in the week Saints Row IV was released.
Ware Aug 23, 2013 @ 2:56am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Would I play it if it had the scope and level of assets of a modern AAA title? Probably not - seems a little generic. Would I play it with the level of detail and attention a typical indie dev could probably bring to the genre. Almost definitely not.

I think you're biting off more than you can chew and like I said, your proposal doesn't exactly appear to bring much new to the table, especially in the week Saints Row IV was released.

Ok, thanks for your input.

Edit:
I've thought about it carefully and you have made a very good point. This game even if it involved a different story would be too close to AAA title's already out. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by Ware; Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:04am
Ware Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:32am 
You have to love it first, or no one else will. Keep that in mind.

Oh don't worry, I don't plan on giving up on V. I'm just going to change the concept. I don't let go of my characters that easily.
Skoardy Aug 23, 2013 @ 5:26am 
Is the name not just a placeholder? If not, people might think it's a little derivative of Alan Moore's classic anti-hero.
Ware Aug 23, 2013 @ 5:45am 
Is the name not just a placeholder? If not, people might think it's a little derivative of Alan Moore's classic anti-hero.
Never heard of him.
I was going for X and decided it was too close to the end of the alphabet, m was next but that was too close to megamind, so I decided on V.
I can always change it later, I've just been calling him that.
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 23, 2013 @ 10:53am 
Originally posted by Warewolves:
Never heard of him.
I was going for X and decided it was too close to the end of the alphabet, m was next but that was too close to megamind, so I decided on V.
I can always change it later, I've just been calling him that.
Heard of the movie "V for Vendetta" with Natalie Portman? :)

Is the single letter going to be short for something or is that all he is ever going to be called? Why a single letter name?

Edit: added smiley to set proper tone.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:39pm
C0untzer0 Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:18am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Originally posted by Warewolves:
Never heard of him.
Heard of the movie "V for Vendetta" with Natalie Portman?

Is the single letter going to be short for something or is that all he is ever going to be called? Why a single letter name?
You're pronouncing the name wrong his cell was between cell IV and cell VI
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:26am 
How do you pronounce "five" in latin numerals then?
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:26am
C0untzer0 Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:45am 
With a "Q" for "Quint", perhaps?
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:14pm 
Obviously (facepalm myself)

I think I've seen too many bad tv shows where they try to spell out the roman numerals as I's V's, X's and etc.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:17pm
Skoardy Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:02pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
You're pronouncing the name wrong his cell was between cell IV and cell VI
And yet he introduces himself (eventually) as 'V'. So that'd be a 'no' on pronouncing his name wrong ;)
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:38pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Heard of the movie "V for Vendetta" with Natalie Portman?

Or.....

V (TV series) may refer to:
V (1983 miniseries), the original 1983 two-part television miniseries
V: The Final Battle, a 1984 three-part sequel miniseries
V (1984 TV series), a 1984–1985 TV series
V (2009 TV series), a 2009 reimagining of the 1983 TV miniseries
... I don't think that is really relevant. Those were called Visitors (I don't recall them being refered to as V inside the series, other than in the form of abbrivated graffiti) and that was for not a single character but for a group that each had their individual names as well.

The reason V for Vendetta is relevant is because there is a character in there that is named/refered to as V... which is what Skoardy was refering to when he mentioned Alan Moore and his classic anti -ero.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:41pm
Snaeng Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:43pm 
This is like 2 % of a game concept. Where's the rest?
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:41pm