Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
chris1980 Aug 21, 2013 @ 7:29am
Disappointed, disgusted with greenlight.
Well greenlight has had some time now to supposedly help out the talent but I'm utterly disillusioned with Greenlight now. I've wasted a lot of time and money and conceed defeat.

Reasons:
1) 99% of the games are god awful, they might actually even look ok but in the technical department they suck much harder than AAA games.
2) They are trying to be creative but in reality they have less imagination than many AAA games.
3) Games released are broken so bad they should never have been released.
4) Selling pre-alpha. What is with that? How can people be so dumb to buy that, I don't get it.
5) Gameplay sucks in most indie games. They actually get the graphics ok now but they really are clueless about gameplay.
6) Indies with NO or little experience kickstarting products have NO right to do so, its stupid and dishonest.
7) Now all we have is loads and loads of more crappy games, I think I've played better on newgrounds TBH. Greenlight has done nothing to improve gaming.
8) Its our fault for backing these projects because we are gulliable and get sucked in by these gltizy youtube "alpha" footage demos.

All in all I feel that actually there was far far less talent out there than we hoped for. Now I realise there is a good reason why its so hard to make a good game, AAA or Indie. If theres one thing I could thank greenlight for is that its illuminated this reason:

Developing a successful game is about talent, more than any other factor, money, resources, marketing, etc. Now, don't confuse talent with technical skills, remember these guys in bands who can play their instruments perfectly well, but still suck? Lack of talent.

Where does talent come from? I don't know, maybe just lots of hard work, but games are being released on greenlight are largely written by talentless indies. They probably underestimated how hard it was.

This is why I don't think Greenlight has solved any problems, sadly. Gaming is broken, and Gaming is stale and it needs a shake up but Greenlight/kickstarter have shown this is not the way to take gaming forward.
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
-Z- Aug 21, 2013 @ 7:34am 
Your reasons suck, bro.

To elaborate:

1 shows you missed the part where AAA games have a much larger budget and thus can pull off things more technical than indie devs. If you don't like indie games, Greenlight isn't and never was intended to be for you.
2 shows you have an odd perspective on what constitutes creativity and imagination.
3 is something you cannot claim due to your not having actually played any of them.
4 just shows that you further fail to grasp the concepts in play.
5 is purely your opinion.
6 is just downright ♥♥♥♥♥ic. People without experience doing something have no right to try doing it? How do you propose they get experience doing it unless they try doing it?
7 is, like 5, purely your opinion and, like 3, something you cannot claim due to your not having actually played any of them.
8 is, again, purely your opinion rather silly of you to have said, as it is based on nothing and connected with nothing.

Everything you said after your list was further elaboration on you simply lacking interest in indie games and thus proving that Greenlight is not for you, which means your being disappointed and "disillusioned" with it means nothing.
orb Aug 21, 2013 @ 8:14am 
Originally posted by chris1980:
Greenlight has done nothing to improve gaming.
That's because it wasn't created to improve it. It was created to choose with the help of community, which (submitted) titles will be put for sale on Steam.

Indies with NO or little experience kickstarting products have NO right to do so, its stupid and dishonest.
How do you gain experience with kickstarting products without a right to do so?

Selling pre-alpha. What is with that? How can people be so dumb to buy that, I don't get it.
How can people pre-order games, or fund projects on Kickstarter without even getting the pre-alpha version? Are they even more dumb?

I for one prefer getting something to test and post bug reports and my feedback, when I supported the project, than wait a year or two for the final release, after I may have forgotten I already payed for that.
jeslyck Aug 21, 2013 @ 8:48am 
You are simply just ludicrous stop making a fool of yourself.
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:05am 
Well greenlight has had some time now to supposedly help out the talent but I'm utterly disillusioned with Greenlight now. I've wasted a lot of time and money and conceed defeat.
How the **** have you invested money in Greenlight? You don't seem to have any game submitted to greenlight. Are you talking about buying games after they have gone through greenlight and are not part of greenlight anymore?

My first impression after reading your entire post is that you've simply missed the point and probably should stick to retail store side of things.
You seem to either have lacking impulse control or never learned to do basic research before making an informed purchase.
jeslyck Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:11am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
How the hell have you invested money in Greenlight? You don't seem to have any game submitted to greenlight. Are you talking about buying games after they have gone through greenlight and are not part of greenlight anymore?

My first impression after reading your entire post is that you've simply missed the point and probably should stick to retail store side of things.
You seem to either have lacking impulse control or never learned to do basic research before making an informed purchase.

Hey see his account he did not purchase anything on GreenLight
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:19am 
Originally posted by jeslyck:
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
How the hell have you invested money in Greenlight? You don't seem to have any game submitted to greenlight. Are you talking about buying games after they have gone through greenlight and are not part of greenlight anymore?
So is he hyperboleing or trolling?

Please stop trolling my thread.
That is the post you chose to respond to? And you chose to respond with ... nonsensical accusations? How is that even trolling? it's a statement that is quick and easy to verify to be true.
orb Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:24am 
Nor any indie game at all released before Greenlight or bypassing Greenlight (EDIT: sorry, there is one - by checking the publisher, Dino Horde is an indie game), nor an Early Access game from outside the Greenlight (to address the point about selling pre-alpha). So no money "wasted" on indie or pre-alpha games.

Please stop trolling my thread.
That's what this thread was created for in first place, wasn't it?
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:45am 
Why aren't you responding to any of the others?
Bayonet Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:47am 
After having voted on 1082 greenlight games, I'm done supporting it via voting. It seems to me that most(not all) of the games on greenlight are/were designed for a phone, not a computer.
orb Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:48am 
I generally don't download on Steam but prefer to support Desura?
So what's your problem with the Greenlight, if you prefer supporting Desura instead of Steam? I still don't see any money "wasted" on Greenlight.
wilco64256 Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:53am 
Can't believe I am stooping so low to reply to you 2 trolls but has it occured to that I generally don't download on Steam but prefer to support Desura? Muppets.

If you're buying games from other outlets, then I fail to see how that in any way is supporting Greenlight.
chris1980 Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:55am 
I've told you what the problem is...Greenlight games are pony!! If Steam made it much much tougher on what was being released maybe we wouldn't keep getting all these broken half baked Alpha releases.

Of course why would they? They are already making money so why improve anything?
jeslyck Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:56am 
Can't believe I am stooping so low to reply to you 2 trolls but has it occured to that I generally don't download on Steam but prefer to support Desura? Muppets.

Then you should post on Desura I do not complain on Steam if I have a problem with Amazon
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 21, 2013 @ 10:11am 
I've told you what the problem is...Greenlight games are pony!! If Steam made it much much tougher on what was being released maybe we wouldn't keep getting all these broken half baked Alpha releases.
That is not a problem it's an opinion. An opinion that seems to be overgeneralizing and be coloured by prejudice.

Since it hasn't acctually made anything worse for you why do you care? Just stay out of the greenlight section and only concern yourself with games in the store. Problem solved.
chris1980 Aug 21, 2013 @ 10:13am 
NO, problem NOT solved. I now want Steam to block Greenlight from my account so I don't continually get spammed and conned. That is what I want.
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 21, 2013 @ 7:29am