Steam Greenlight
Game idea, an underwater fps! Grammar nazis please forgive me!
Due to a diet of pure caffine i have a ton of game ideas, most are bad or have already been done but everyonce and awhile something enters my overclocked and undercooled brain and sticks. I think I have a million dollar idea! Do u want to hear it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is my idea, an underwater fps, set on an alien world in the distant future where a terain based invaders attack the intelligent aquatic based defenders. The game is a multiplayer focus high tension low visiblity focused game based around 3d combat. As the invaders u attack using weapons like explosive harpoon guns liquid based chemical weapons, submarine torpedoes and ocean mines. What causese the afformentioned stress and tension for the invaders is a compound of the following elements: suit damage as your suit takes hits sytems become damaged such as your oxygen, your hud, and your suits intergrity take damage. this creates situations where you have to rush out of combat and get back to your home base (submarine) while you watch your precious oxygen leak out or where your moving in the dark without sonar pings headlight or a hud, or even panicing as your visor cracks open and water spills in slowly drowning you. Next is the afformentioned sonar ping, although you are kitted with headlights at such depths in the oceans of this alien world they don't help all to much, thus the sonar ping. every 2-5 seconds your sonar ping maps the area around you in detail including enemy postions, but the ping only produces a frozen snapshot of the world status when it activated forcing you to rely on position prediction and accuracy to hit targets at a distance while closer targets combat eachother in a desperate frenzy! As you can see the game would allow for some truly scarey moments as systems fail and armys advance form the distance highlighted by your sonar ping. it would also allow for some awesome submarine battles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the problem: WHAT DO I DO WITH THE AQUATIC DUDES? I have a sketchy idea of what they look like (kind of a humanoid with smoothed facial features, an elongated serpentine neck with pale skin and a waist which splits and slowly transitions into jellyfish tendrils) and how they fight but nothing really usefull do you have any ideas?

Please forgive my spelling! If something isn't clear or is unreadable please tell me where so i can edit!
< >
Viser 113 av 13 kommentarer
AusSkiller 18. aug. 2013 kl. 15.47 
Just FYI, million dollar ideas aren't worth a million dollars, they are worth 2c, because everyone has them, it's who you get to develop the idea that is important and that usually costs a hell of a lot more than a million dollars.

That said, it's not a bad idea, though you'd have a pretty limited market for it given the visuals are also going to be pretty limited. It also might be better to have manual pinging, it would just end up being frustrating for the player having their location given away when they don't need/want to ping, and when in combat a player would obviously want to ping much more frequently. Also be aware that in a fully 3D combat environment a pitch/yaw camera like those found in most FPS games can be a bit too limiting and difficult to use, especially if you need to lead targets, but using other more free camera types can be a lot more confusing and difficult to control because you lose your constant knowledge of what is up and down.
Sist redigert av AusSkiller; 18. aug. 2013 kl. 15.48
Walmart Optometrist 20. aug. 2013 kl. 10.57 
Would it be possible to add in a hud to ease directional sense issues? You could make it kind of like a jet plane H.U.D with an altimeter(I believe thats what its called) and roll/yaw/other stuff indicators? also I agree about the visuals perhaps some amazing biolumenescent plant/coral and wild life would go a long distance do you think? perhaps a manual ping is a better idea as well, but it would be nice to have a "pings per second" limt though. Perhaps you could also set autocast option for when you don't want to spam the button! Thanks for responding btw! no one does these days!
Sist redigert av Walmart Optometrist; 20. aug. 2013 kl. 11.02
Skoardy 20. aug. 2013 kl. 11.07 
Opprinnelig skrevet av rammer259:
Thanks for responding btw! no one does these days!
I think that's pretty much because AusSkiller's first paragraph hit the nail exactly on the head.
Walmart Optometrist 20. aug. 2013 kl. 11.13 
What?
Qon 20. aug. 2013 kl. 13.30 
I was thinking of submarine fight sims like yesterday but I didn't have time to look up any mordern ones. Are there any good ones? Or do I have to write it myself? q:
So to make this post seem on topic: Are there any good sub games that you draw inspiration from?
AusSkiller 20. aug. 2013 kl. 13.51 
Would it be possible to add in a hud to ease directional sense issues? You could make it kind of like a jet plane H.U.D with an altimeter(I believe thats what its called) and roll/yaw/other stuff indicators?
Yeah an artificial horizon can help a lot, don't forget to add roll controls too so that the player can easily re-align themselves to the horizon.

also I agree about the visuals perhaps some amazing biolumenescent plant/coral and wild life would go a long distance do you think?
Yep, that's a good idea, it will add some nice visual detail when not pinging and don't forget you will be able to use that in the gameplay too. Any well lit areas will be able to help the player, and that also means you can use it to indirectly guide the player to certain areas by laying down a sort of path (can even just be a few patches) to where the player needs to go. Though you will probably still want to have a pretty heavy black fog effect to simulate dark murky water and so you can't see the lighter areas from too far away, you probably don't want to lose the tension that builds from being in the dark, but the light areas could give the player a brief sense of safety to calm down which will give a nice contrast to the tension.

Another potential light source that would look quite impressive is an underwater lava seams and volcanic eruptions, you can see one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmMlspNoZMs You may want to exaggerate the effect though ;).

perhaps a manual ping is a better idea as well, but it would be nice to have a "pings per second" limt though. Perhaps you could also set autocast option for when you don't want to spam the button!
An option then is rather than specifically pressing a button to ping, is to instead have the player control the frequency of the pings, you could have 4 or so frequencies that the player can scroll through, no pings, every 10 seconds, every 5 seconds, every 2 seconds, and every second. Another effect you could introduce to this to balance it out a bit is to decrease the range of visibility you get from a ping based on the frequency so at every second you might only get 25 meters of visibility, but at every 10 seconds you get 250.

Thanks for responding btw! no one does these days!
No problem, I love discussing game development and design :).
Sist redigert av AusSkiller; 20. aug. 2013 kl. 13.52
Qon 20. aug. 2013 kl. 14.05 
Decreasing visibility by pinging seems silly becasue it's so unrealistic. I don't know what level of realism or arcady action you guys are going for but...
And subs mostly use passive technology since pinging will alert everone around you where you are on longer distance than your ping will detect others.

Edit: and subs are fighting at longer distances than light travels through water. They have powerful lightsources but not for fighting. Even sunlight qannot be seen below 91m by the human eye. Not that the human eye is used for seeing though....
Sist redigert av Qon; 20. aug. 2013 kl. 14.18
AusSkiller 20. aug. 2013 kl. 14.28 
Opprinnelig skrevet av Qon:
Decreasing visibility by pinging seems silly becasue it's so unrealistic.
Some sonar equipment has exclusive modes for transmit and recieve, and cannot transmit and recieve at the same time, these need to have a range setting that determines the rate of the pings, the longer the range the more time it has to be in recieve mode and the lower the rate of pings can be. This is pretty much exactly what I was suggesting be used.

And subs mostly use passive technology since pinging will alert everone around you where you are on longer distance than your ping will detect others.
Passive sonar is only useful in picking up things that make noise, relying on it means you crash into the ground and can't pick up anything that doesn't make much noise like sea creatures, that's why subs still use active sonar most of the time. Passive sonar is only used when you need to avoid being detected, it would certainly be a good addition to rammer259's game but it would be silly to make it the primary method of detecting enemies and terrain.
Sist redigert av AusSkiller; 20. aug. 2013 kl. 14.43
Qon 20. aug. 2013 kl. 15.02 
Opprinnelig skrevet av AusSkiller:
Some sonar equipment has exclusive modes for transmit and recieve, and cannot transmit and recieve at the same time, these need to have a range setting that determines the rate of the pings, the longer the range the more time it has to be in recieve mode and the lower the rate of pings can be. This is pretty much exactly what I was suggesting be used.
I thought "decrease visibility" was refering to "decrease detection of light"

Opprinnelig skrevet av AusSkiller:
Passive sonar is only useful in picking up things that make noise, relying on it means you crash into the ground and can't pick up anything that doesn't make much noise like sea creatures, that's why subs still use active sonar most of the time. Passive sonar is only used when you need to avoid being detected, it would certainly be a good addition to rammer259's game but it would be silly to make it the primary method of detecting enemies and terrain.
I assumed this was primarily a sub fighting game. And that means you want to avoid detection. The purpose of subs is stealth and if you didn't want to be stealthy you would use a ship, right?

I'm no expert but I'll try to tag along with sense and wikipedia knowledge. Also you qan use maps of the sea depth. As long as you don't dive to the very bottom you should be fine with almost no depth info at all. And you qan still use light (lower detection range than sonar) to find the ocean floor if you want something more local.

Some kinds of subs makes more noise than others so passive technology is still useful.

You seem to have information that doesn't qome straight from wikipedia. May I read your source? I'm interested in subs.
AusSkiller 20. aug. 2013 kl. 15.20 
I thought "decrease visibility" was refering to "decrease detection of light"
The way I interpreted rammer259's idea was that it would mostly be deep sea where there is little if any light and that most of your visual information came from a representation of the data received from sonar pings, so yeah not less light visibility, just less sonar data.

I assumed this was primarily a sub fighting game. And that means you want to avoid detection. The purpose of subs is stealth and if you didn't want to be stealthy you would use a ship, right?
From what I read it sounded like rammer259's idea is that you fight aliens that are basically sea creatures, or humans in futuristic diving suits rather than using large subs for combat. But I could be wrong.

You seem to have information that doesn't qome straight from wikipedia. May I read your source? I'm interested in subs.
I couldn't find the specific info on it since I don't remember the names of the equipment, but this post mentions it in a bit more detail:
http://uboat.net/forums/read.php?20,60019,60046#msg-60046
Qon 20. aug. 2013 kl. 15.43 
Yeah I jumped on the "human subs on earth 2013"-trail. Suits would be qool too though.
And I like the idea of manually pinging. Then timing your pinging would be as skill. I don't know if you would normally ping by hand IRL, I guess you either do it by a certain (changing) frequency or don't do it at all. It would be good for gameplay though. (I'm not exqluding a set frequency option)

I do know that you increase the frequency of your sonar for finer location of nearby objects but that forum probably has loads of tasty info in other hreads so thanks :)
Sist redigert av Qon; 20. aug. 2013 kl. 15.44
Walmart Optometrist 20. aug. 2013 kl. 20.15 

From what I read it sounded like rammer259's idea is that you fight aliens that are basically sea creatures, or humans in futuristic diving suits rather than using large subs for combat. But I could be wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an FYI! I was planning on using subs but only as a side feature (kinda like a spawnpoint)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rammer259: perhaps a manual ping is a better idea as well, but it would be nice to have a "pings per second" limt though. Perhaps you could also set autocast option for when you don't want to spam the button!

Aus Skiller: An option then is rather than specifically pressing a button to ping, is to instead have the player control the frequency of the pings, you could have 4 or so frequencies that the player can scroll through, no pings, every 10 seconds, every 5 seconds, every 2 seconds, and every second. Another effect you could introduce to this to balance it out a bit is to decrease the range of visibility you get from a ping based on the frequency so at every second you might only get 25 meters of visibility, but at every 10 seconds you get 250.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this idea of swapping pings per second(s) for distance, it would provide nice balance between a more informed observer type player and the up in your face rush player.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sry for terrible quotes I don't have the hang of it quite yet!
Qon 21. aug. 2013 kl. 6.47 
Well the reason for not pinging in the highest frequncy that the sonar qan output is that you want the echo to bounce back before you send out the next one. So there's no real need for a max limit of pings. If you spam it you won't be able to detect anything but everyone else will be able to detect your location precisely.
< >
Viser 113 av 13 kommentarer
Per side: 1530 50

Dato lagt ut: 18. aug. 2013 kl. 12.56